Microsoft Word has frozen

TimW

Can anyone help? I am trying to open Word (2000) but it keeps freezing as it
opens up and I have to turn the computer off. This happened a few years ago
and a help-line guided me through how to clear old files etc that were making
it freeze - but I can't remember what to do. Please help as I need it
urgently (also I am very computer illiterate so please put in plain English!)
Thanks very much

Your question might be better asked in a Word newsgroup as this is a W98
newsgroup.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Timw" <Timw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help? I am trying to open Word (2000) but it keeps freezing as
> it
> opens up and I have to turn the computer off. This happened a few years
> ago
> and a help-line guided me through how to clear old files etc that were
> making
> it freeze - but I can't remember what to do. Please help as I need it
> urgently (also I am very computer illiterate so please put in plain
> English!)
> Thanks very much

"Timw" <Timw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can anyone help? I am trying to open Word (2000) but it keeps freezing as it
>opens up and I have to turn the computer off. This happened a few years ago
>and a help-line guided me through how to clear old files etc that were making
>it freeze - but I can't remember what to do. Please help as I need it
>urgently (also I am very computer illiterate so please put in plain English!)
>Thanks very much

Find and delete normal.dot. That's the standard template that's read
every time Word opens. If Word can't find it, it will create a new
one.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
> "Timw" <Timw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Can anyone help? I am trying to open Word (2000) but it keeps freezing as
it
> >opens up and I have to turn the computer off. This happened a few years
ago
> >and a help-line guided me through how to clear old files etc that were
making
> >it freeze - but I can't remember what to do. Please help as I need it
> >urgently (also I am very computer illiterate so please put in plain
English!)
> >Thanks very much
>
> Find and delete normal.dot. That's the standard template that's read
> every time Word opens. If Word can't find it, it will create a new
> one.

***
Actually, I had something that corrupted Word so it froze and a tech
suggested deleting normal.* to delete all three of the normal files. That
worked.

anon
***