Fatal Exception & Security Update

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b 8 Security
March 15, 2005 9:11:01 PM

Just installed 4 security updates for Windows 98se including KB891781,
KB891711, KB888113, KB890175. I thought the installation went okay (although
I was running SpyBot at the time and I see some people have reported
problems). My problem is "Fatal exception OD has occurred at 0000:0000FF00."
when I attempt to start either Mozilla or Cisco VPN client. Prior to the
update I used these programs all the time. I reloaded the Cisco VPN client
software and no difference. Can I uninstall these 4 security updates? Other
options?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 16, 2005 12:33:10 AM

Look around you. There are 9 ongoing threads here on this issue, Clark:
http://snipurl.com/dcz3

All of the updates may be uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs. KB891711 is
the one causing your problem.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

In Memoriam, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)

ClarkM wrote:
> Just installed 4 security updates for Windows 98se including KB891781,
> KB891711, KB888113, KB890175. I thought the installation went okay
> (although I was running SpyBot at the time and I see some people have
> reported problems). My problem is "Fatal exception OD has occurred at
> 0000:0000FF00." when I attempt to start either Mozilla or Cisco VPN
> client. Prior to the update I used these programs all the time. I
> reloaded the Cisco VPN client software and no difference. Can I
> uninstall these 4 security updates? Other options?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 16, 2005 12:33:11 AM

I apologize. I had read through a number of the threads you mentioned but
must have missed how to remove the updates. Thanks for your note. I removed
my 4 most recent security updates and everything works again.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Look around you. There are 9 ongoing threads here on this issue, Clark:
> http://snipurl.com/dcz3
>
> All of the updates may be uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs. KB891711 is
> the one causing your problem.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>
> In Memoriam, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>

> ClarkM wrote:
> > Just installed 4 security updates for Windows 98se including KB891781,
> > KB891711, KB888113, KB890175. I thought the installation went okay
> > (although I was running SpyBot at the time and I see some people have
> > reported problems). My problem is "Fatal exception OD has occurred at
> > 0000:0000FF00." when I attempt to start either Mozilla or Cisco VPN
> > client. Prior to the update I used these programs all the time. I
> > reloaded the Cisco VPN client software and no difference. Can I
> > uninstall these 4 security updates? Other options?

a b 8 Security
March 16, 2005 1:00:21 AM

Uninstall KB891711 from Control Panel> Add\Remove Programs.

Post back with as much detailed info as you can about your computer....processor
type and speed, BIOS version, motherboard chipset, display adapter type, and so
forth. Also, you might try reinstalling the KB891711 update but with Spybot, your
virus scanner, and all other apps closed or otherwise disabled, and see if you still
get the same problems. If so, uninstall the update again.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

"ClarkM" <ClarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just installed 4 security updates for Windows 98se including KB891781,
> KB891711, KB888113, KB890175. I thought the installation went okay (although
> I was running SpyBot at the time and I see some people have reported
> problems). My problem is "Fatal exception OD has occurred at 0000:0000FF00."
> when I attempt to start either Mozilla or Cisco VPN client. Prior to the
> update I used these programs all the time. I reloaded the Cisco VPN client
> software and no difference. Can I uninstall these 4 security updates? Other
> options?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 16, 2005 4:26:46 AM

Stay tuned to this station. They are all critical security updates and need
to be installed eventually. (You can prolly reinstall all but 891711
without any problems, Clark, from what we've learned in the past week.)
--
~PA Bear

ClarkM wrote:
> I apologize. I had read through a number of the threads you mentioned but
> must have missed how to remove the updates. Thanks for your note. I
> removed my 4 most recent security updates and everything works again.
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > Look around you. There are 9 ongoing threads here on this issue, Clark:
> > http://snipurl.com/dcz3
> >
> > All of the updates may be uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs.
> > KB891711 is the one causing your problem.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > In Memoriam, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> >

> > ClarkM wrote:
> > > Just installed 4 security updates for Windows 98se including KB891781,
> > > KB891711, KB888113, KB890175. I thought the installation went okay
> > > (although I was running SpyBot at the time and I see some people have
> > > reported problems). My problem is "Fatal exception OD has occurred at
> > > 0000:0000FF00." when I attempt to start either Mozilla or Cisco VPN
> > > client. Prior to the update I used these programs all the time. I
> > > reloaded the Cisco VPN client software and no difference. Can I
> > > uninstall these 4 security updates? Other options?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 16, 2005 10:49:02 PM

I closed everything and turned off firewall, Spybot, virus scan, and then did
Windows Update. I was expecting to be told to install KB851711 as well as the
other 3 security updates I removed yesterday but the update site said I only
needed KB890175 and KB888113. I installed them and restarted. Now I have the
same problem as before. I get "Fatal exception OD has occurred ..." when
starting Mozilla and the Cisco VPN client.

I then removed both updates, restarted. Same problem. I went back to
Windows Update and it told me to install the same 2 updates. I reinstalled.
Same problem. Then uninstalled again. Same problem.

I'm stuck now. The updates are removed but I can't load those two programs.
Any ideas. Below are details about my computer. If more info. would help,
I can provide it:

Processor: AMD-K6 3D, 400mhz Pentium
Video: ATI Rage 128 VR AGP
BIOS: Award Modular v4.60 PGA

"glee" wrote:

> Uninstall KB891711 from Control Panel> Add\Remove Programs.
>
> Post back with as much detailed info as you can about your computer....processor
> type and speed, BIOS version, motherboard chipset, display adapter type, and so
> forth. Also, you might try reinstalling the KB891711 update but with Spybot, your
> virus scanner, and all other apps closed or otherwise disabled, and see if you still
> get the same problems. If so, uninstall the update again.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "ClarkM" <ClarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just installed 4 security updates for Windows 98se including KB891781,
> > KB891711, KB888113, KB890175. I thought the installation went okay (although
> > I was running SpyBot at the time and I see some people have reported
> > problems). My problem is "Fatal exception OD has occurred at 0000:0000FF00."
> > when I attempt to start either Mozilla or Cisco VPN client. Prior to the
> > update I used these programs all the time. I reloaded the Cisco VPN client
> > software and no difference. Can I uninstall these 4 security updates? Other
> > options?

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 17, 2005 2:38:07 AM

That sure doesn't make sense. If removing the updates fixed the problem before, I
don't understand why it would not when doing it again. You stated you removed four
updates and now you are installing and removing two. Are the others uninstalled
also?

I also do not understand why you did this procedure when you already had the problem
fixed. I posted my reply to you prior to seeing PA Bear's reply and your subsequent
reply was to your initial problem and stated to remove 891711. Both Bear and I
posted regarding only update 891711, not any others.
--

news:D 550DB74-5611-49D0-ACC1-04EBB81C87DF@microsoft.com...
> I closed everything and turned off firewall, Spybot, virus scan, and then did
> Windows Update. I was expecting to be told to install KB851711 as well as the
> other 3 security updates I removed yesterday but the update site said I only
> needed KB890175 and KB888113. I installed them and restarted. Now I have the
> same problem as before. I get "Fatal exception OD has occurred ..." when
> starting Mozilla and the Cisco VPN client.
>
> I then removed both updates, restarted. Same problem. I went back to
> Windows Update and it told me to install the same 2 updates. I reinstalled.
> Same problem. Then uninstalled again. Same problem.
>
> I'm stuck now. The updates are removed but I can't load those two programs.
> Any ideas. Below are details about my computer. If more info. would help,
> I can provide it:
>
> Processor: AMD-K6 3D, 400mhz Pentium
> Video: ATI Rage 128 VR AGP
> BIOS: Award Modular v4.60 PGA
>

> "glee" wrote:
>
> > Uninstall KB891711 from Control Panel> Add\Remove Programs.
> >
> > Post back with as much detailed info as you can about your computer....processor
> > type and speed, BIOS version, motherboard chipset, display adapter type, and so
> > forth. Also, you might try reinstalling the KB891711 update but with Spybot,
your
> > virus scanner, and all other apps closed or otherwise disabled, and see if you
still
> > get the same problems. If so, uninstall the update again.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
> > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "ClarkM" <ClarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Just installed 4 security updates for Windows 98se including KB891781,
> > > KB891711, KB888113, KB890175. I thought the installation went okay (although
> > > I was running SpyBot at the time and I see some people have reported
> > > problems). My problem is "Fatal exception OD has occurred at 0000:0000FF00."
> > > when I attempt to start either Mozilla or Cisco VPN client. Prior to the
> > > update I used these programs all the time. I reloaded the Cisco VPN client
> > > software and no difference. Can I uninstall these 4 security updates? Other
> > > options?

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 17, 2005 9:27:01 AM

Yes, I should have stopped when everything was working. I loaded the updates
again because Bear said I shouldn't have removed all 4 just the 891711. I
also wanted to see if 891711 would work without Spyware, virus checking, and
firewall running. Since removing the updates had fixed the problem, it
didn't seem like a high risk move to try to install them again.

The two programs that don't start are both network dependent: Mozilla and
Cisco VPN client. I'm using DSL with a USB connection to a DSL modem.

Can I somehow just reinstall just the network communication piece of Windows
98 SE?

"glee" wrote:

> That sure doesn't make sense. If removing the updates fixed the problem before, I
> don't understand why it would not when doing it again. You stated you removed four
> updates and now you are installing and removing two. Are the others uninstalled
> also?
>
> I also do not understand why you did this procedure when you already had the problem
> fixed. I posted my reply to you prior to seeing PA Bear's reply and your subsequent
> reply was to your initial problem and stated to remove 891711. Both Bear and I
> posted regarding only update 891711, not any others.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "ClarkM" <ClarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 550DB74-5611-49D0-ACC1-04EBB81C87DF@microsoft.com...
> > I closed everything and turned off firewall, Spybot, virus scan, and then did
> > Windows Update. I was expecting to be told to install KB851711 as well as the
> > other 3 security updates I removed yesterday but the update site said I only
> > needed KB890175 and KB888113. I installed them and restarted. Now I have the
> > same problem as before. I get "Fatal exception OD has occurred ..." when
> > starting Mozilla and the Cisco VPN client.
> >
> > I then removed both updates, restarted. Same problem. I went back to
> > Windows Update and it told me to install the same 2 updates. I reinstalled.
> > Same problem. Then uninstalled again. Same problem.
> >
> > I'm stuck now. The updates are removed but I can't load those two programs.
> > Any ideas. Below are details about my computer. If more info. would help,
> > I can provide it:
> >
> > Processor: AMD-K6 3D, 400mhz Pentium
> > Video: ATI Rage 128 VR AGP
> > BIOS: Award Modular v4.60 PGA
> >

> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > Uninstall KB891711 from Control Panel> Add\Remove Programs.
> > >
> > > Post back with as much detailed info as you can about your computer....processor
> > > type and speed, BIOS version, motherboard chipset, display adapter type, and so
> > > forth. Also, you might try reinstalling the KB891711 update but with Spybot,
> your
> > > virus scanner, and all other apps closed or otherwise disabled, and see if you
> still
> > > get the same problems. If so, uninstall the update again.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
> > > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "ClarkM" <ClarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 17, 2005 9:32:53 AM

Use Find>Files & Folders to locate anything with KB891711 in the name
and delete everything you find (*after uninstalling it.) Leave the other
update(s) installed.

If your system still isn't working, yes, I'd uninstall all the
Networking components and reinstall. First in the Network applet of
Control Panel, delete everything, then in Device Manager, delete the
devices themselves. Restart and reinstall devices and networking
components.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
> > > Windows Update. I was expecting to be told to install KB851711 as
well as the
> > > other 3 security updates I removed yesterday but the update site
said I only
> > > needed KB890175 and KB888113. I installed them and restarted. Now
I have the
> > > same problem as before. I get "Fatal exception OD has occurred
...." when
> > > starting Mozilla and the Cisco VPN client.
> > >
> > > I then removed both updates, restarted. Same problem. I went
back to
> > > Windows Update and it told me to install the same 2 updates. I
reinstalled.
> > > Same problem. Then uninstalled again. Same problem.
> > >
> > > I'm stuck now. The updates are removed but I can't load those two
programs.
> > > Any ideas. Below are details about my computer. If more info.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 18, 2005 2:26:26 AM

Follow the suggestions Gary gave in his last reply, and *please* let us know the
outcome.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ClarkM" <ClarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, I should have stopped when everything was working. I loaded the updates
> again because Bear said I shouldn't have removed all 4 just the 891711. I
> also wanted to see if 891711 would work without Spyware, virus checking, and
> firewall running. Since removing the updates had fixed the problem, it
> didn't seem like a high risk move to try to install them again.
>
> The two programs that don't start are both network dependent: Mozilla and
> Cisco VPN client. I'm using DSL with a USB connection to a DSL modem.
>
> Can I somehow just reinstall just the network communication piece of Windows
> 98 SE?
>

> "glee" wrote:
>
> > That sure doesn't make sense. If removing the updates fixed the problem before,
> > don't understand why it would not when doing it again. You stated you removed
four
> > updates and now you are installing and removing two. Are the others uninstalled
> > also?
> >
> > I also do not understand why you did this procedure when you already had the
problem
> > fixed. I posted my reply to you prior to seeing PA Bear's reply and your
subsequent
> > reply was to your initial problem and stated to remove 891711. Both Bear and I
> > posted regarding only update 891711, not any others.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
> > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "ClarkM" <ClarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 550DB74-5611-49D0-ACC1-04EBB81C87DF@microsoft.com...
> > > I closed everything and turned off firewall, Spybot, virus scan, and then did
> > > Windows Update. I was expecting to be told to install KB851711 as well as the
> > > other 3 security updates I removed yesterday but the update site said I only
> > > needed KB890175 and KB888113. I installed them and restarted. Now I have the
> > > same problem as before. I get "Fatal exception OD has occurred ..." when
> > > starting Mozilla and the Cisco VPN client.
> > >
> > > I then removed both updates, restarted. Same problem. I went back to
> > > Windows Update and it told me to install the same 2 updates. I reinstalled.
> > > Same problem. Then uninstalled again. Same problem.
> > >
> > > I'm stuck now. The updates are removed but I can't load those two programs.
> > > Any ideas. Below are details about my computer. If more info. would help,
> > > I can provide it:
> > >
> > > Processor: AMD-K6 3D, 400mhz Pentium
> > > Video: ATI Rage 128 VR AGP
> > > BIOS: Award Modular v4.60 PGA

Spybot,
> > your
> > still

Other

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 18, 2005 10:53:04 AM

I searched files and folders for kb891711 and found a directory called
c:\windows\system\kb891711 which contained kb891711.exe and kb891711.dll. I
tried to delete but it said Windows was using the files. I rebooted into
command line only mode and renamed the files and renamed the directory for
good measure. Rebooted and everything works: Mozilla and Cisco VPN client
start without the fatal exception.

Thank you!

"glee" wrote:

> Follow the suggestions Gary gave in his last reply, and *please* let us know the
> outcome.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "ClarkM" <ClarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I should have stopped when everything was working. I loaded the updates
> > again because Bear said I shouldn't have removed all 4 just the 891711. I
> > also wanted to see if 891711 would work without Spyware, virus checking, and
> > firewall running. Since removing the updates had fixed the problem, it
> > didn't seem like a high risk move to try to install them again.
> >
> > The two programs that don't start are both network dependent: Mozilla and
> > Cisco VPN client. I'm using DSL with a USB connection to a DSL modem.
> >
> > Can I somehow just reinstall just the network communication piece of Windows
> > 98 SE?
> >

> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > That sure doesn't make sense. If removing the updates fixed the problem before,
> > > don't understand why it would not when doing it again. You stated you removed
> four
> > > updates and now you are installing and removing two. Are the others uninstalled
> > > also?
> > >
> > > I also do not understand why you did this procedure when you already had the
> problem
> > > fixed. I posted my reply to you prior to seeing PA Bear's reply and your
> subsequent
> > > reply was to your initial problem and stated to remove 891711. Both Bear and I
> > > posted regarding only update 891711, not any others.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > ~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
> > > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "ClarkM" <ClarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:D 550DB74-5611-49D0-ACC1-04EBB81C87DF@microsoft.com...

> computer....processor
> so
> Spybot,
> > > your
> you
> > > still

> (although
> 0000:0000FF00."
> Other

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 18, 2005 3:10:34 PM

> I searched files and folders for kb891711 and found a directory called
> c:\windows\system\kb891711 which contained kb891711.exe and kb891711.dll.
> I tried to delete but it said Windows was using the files. I rebooted into

Yes that's true, but in that case easier to just uncheck it out of msconfig and
reboot, and then since the files are not running you can just delete them
that way, or, since they are not running you can just leave them there too;
but mostlikely if you wanted all files and registry references not still
showing it as installed - then here is an Exact replica (W98SE) of
everything the simple install does - and so you can go to each event
and remove them as well:

(for files - only 3 were added and no other file changes were made)

C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\W98\
891711UN.INF

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\
KB891711exe
Q891711.dll

(and for the registry the install only Added a few entires - it made no other changes)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{2cd1b477-8d46-4b86-b7dc-13fb65fb5914}]
@="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
"Locale"="EN"
"Version"="4.10.0.2222"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]
"KB891711"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates\W98\UPD891711]
@="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\KB891711.EXE"=""
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\KB891711\\Q891711.DLL"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\891711]
@=""
"DisplayName"="Windows 98 KB891711 Update"
"UninstallString"="RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\\WINDOWS\\INF\\QFE\\W98\\891711UN.INF"

Rick

!