Poor Performance with "good" hardware

I have a Intel Celeron 667 MHz (give or take 5 MHz), 256 MB RAM, and a
GeForce 2 32MB Graphics card in a machine that's running Windows 98SE off of
a 20GB Wester Digital 7200 rpm hard drive. My confusion is that is seems like
this computer is very slow in regard to performing the smallest tastks such
as browsing the internet via a wireless connection to a cable modem, let
alone playing divx video (i haven't dared trying a dvd). I don't understand
why I am receiving such poor performance from hardware that should be able to
handle these tasks with no problem.

First step is to perform standard maintenance and see if that helps. See
the "Clean Boot" article in my signature.

Second step is to review what you have running in the background.
Easiest way to post that list for review here is to run MSINFO32 from
the Start\Run box, then expand the "Software Environment", and click on
"Startup Programs". Now, click anywhere in the right-hand pane, press
Ctrl-A, then Ctrl-C. Last, open a reply to this post and use Ctrl-V to
Paste in the list.

You give browsing the internet as one example of slow performance. Are
there any others? Programs opening slowly, certain folders taking
forever to open in Windows Explorer?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"verdonethestone" <verdonethestone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:495C26AC-909A-4D7F-9125-0263D814AB8F@microsoft.com...
> I have a Intel Celeron 667 MHz (give or take 5 MHz), 256 MB RAM, and a
> GeForce 2 32MB Graphics card in a machine that's running Windows 98SE
off of
> a 20GB Wester Digital 7200 rpm hard drive. My confusion is that is
seems like
> this computer is very slow in regard to performing the smallest tastks
such
> as browsing the internet via a wireless connection to a cable modem,
let
> alone playing divx video (i haven't dared trying a dvd). I don't
understand
> why I am receiving such poor performance from hardware that should be
able to
> handle these tasks with no problem.

Evaluate your machine relative to other similar machines at
http://www.pcpitstop.com/
Read the caveats closely before proceeding.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------

verdonethestone wrote:
> I have a Intel Celeron 667 MHz (give or take 5 MHz), 256 MB RAM, and a
> GeForce 2 32MB Graphics card in a machine that's running Windows 98SE off of
> a 20GB Wester Digital 7200 rpm hard drive. My confusion is that is seems like
> this computer is very slow in regard to performing the smallest tastks such
> as browsing the internet via a wireless connection to a cable modem, let
> alone playing divx video (i haven't dared trying a dvd). I don't understand
> why I am receiving such poor performance from hardware that should be able to
> handle these tasks with no problem.

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827315