Poor Performance with "good" hardware

I have a Intel Celeron 667 MHz (give or take 5 MHz), 256 MB RAM, and a
GeForce 2 32MB Graphics card in a machine that's running Windows 98SE off of
a 20GB Wester Digital 7200 rpm hard drive. My confusion is that is seems like
this computer is very slow in regard to performing the smallest tastks such
as browsing the internet via a wireless connection to a cable modem, let
alone playing divx video (i haven't dared trying a dvd). I don't understand
why I am receiving such poor performance from hardware that should be able to
handle these tasks with no problem.
3 answers Last reply
More about poor performance good hardware

    First step is to perform standard maintenance and see if that helps. See
    the "Clean Boot" article in my signature.

    Second step is to review what you have running in the background.
    Easiest way to post that list for review here is to run MSINFO32 from
    the Start\Run box, then expand the "Software Environment", and click on
    "Startup Programs". Now, click anywhere in the right-hand pane, press
    Ctrl-A, then Ctrl-C. Last, open a reply to this post and use Ctrl-V to
    Paste in the list.

    You give browsing the internet as one example of slow performance. Are
    there any others? Programs opening slowly, certain folders taking
    forever to open in Windows Explorer?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "verdonethestone" <verdonethestone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:495C26AC-909A-4D7F-9125-0263D814AB8F@microsoft.com...
    > I have a Intel Celeron 667 MHz (give or take 5 MHz), 256 MB RAM, and a
    > GeForce 2 32MB Graphics card in a machine that's running Windows 98SE
    off of
    > a 20GB Wester Digital 7200 rpm hard drive. My confusion is that is
    seems like
    > this computer is very slow in regard to performing the smallest tastks
    such
    > as browsing the internet via a wireless connection to a cable modem,
    let
    > alone playing divx video (i haven't dared trying a dvd). I don't
    understand
    > why I am receiving such poor performance from hardware that should be
    able to
    > handle these tasks with no problem.

    Evaluate your machine relative to other similar machines at
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/
    Read the caveats closely before proceeding.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------

    verdonethestone wrote:
    > I have a Intel Celeron 667 MHz (give or take 5 MHz), 256 MB RAM, and a
    > GeForce 2 32MB Graphics card in a machine that's running Windows 98SE off of
    > a 20GB Wester Digital 7200 rpm hard drive. My confusion is that is seems like
    > this computer is very slow in regard to performing the smallest tastks such
    > as browsing the internet via a wireless connection to a cable modem, let
    > alone playing divx video (i haven't dared trying a dvd). I don't understand
    > why I am receiving such poor performance from hardware that should be able to
    > handle these tasks with no problem.

    See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827315

Windows