While installing windows xp my computer hiccuped and I had
to reinstall. I then found I had two versions of xp one
that works and one that doesn't. How do I identify and
uninstall the one that doesn't?

Go to START, RUN, and type in MSCONFIG. Then click on the
BOOT.INI tab. Then click the button that says "Check all
boot paths". It will detect the right path and offer to
remove the bad one for you.

Very good, thanks