How to boot from Harddisk files instead of floppy/CD

Win98SE

There are programs that create a bootdisk and ask you to
boot from it. Alternatively, they save a cd image of the
same in your harddisk and you are supposed to burn that to
some cd and boot from that cd.

When we have that CD image file on harddisk, is there any
method that we can boot from that folder/file instead of our
usual win98SE boot from C:?

or can we save those bootdisk files to somewhere in harddisk
and boot from that?
---
e.g. I downloaded and ran windows memory tester which
created some .iso file to hdd. Can I boot from this.

Similar is the case of Norton disk image.

--
Rawat
12 answers Last reply

    PCs can't boot from image files to begin with.

    "V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com> wrote in message
    > Win98SE
    >
    > There are programs that create a bootdisk and ask you to
    > boot from it. Alternatively, they save a cd image of the
    > same in your harddisk and you are supposed to burn that to
    > some cd and boot from that cd.
    >
    > When we have that CD image file on harddisk, is there any
    > method that we can boot from that folder/file instead of our
    > usual win98SE boot from C:?
    >
    > or can we save those bootdisk files to somewhere in harddisk
    > and boot from that?
    > ---
    > e.g. I downloaded and ran windows memory tester which
    > created some .iso file to hdd. Can I boot from this.
    >
    > Similar is the case of Norton disk image.
    >
    > --
    > Rawat

    If it is a real computer -- then no.

    If it is a virtual computer (that works under Virtual PC or VmWare) --
    then yes.

    But as I see, your choice is the first one.

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    wrote:

    >Win98SE
    >
    >There are programs that create a bootdisk and ask you to
    >boot from it. Alternatively, they save a cd image of the
    >same in your harddisk and you are supposed to burn that to
    >some cd and boot from that cd.
    >
    >When we have that CD image file on harddisk, is there any
    >method that we can boot from that folder/file instead of our
    >usual win98SE boot from C:?
    >
    >or can we save those bootdisk files to somewhere in harddisk
    >and boot from that?
    >---
    >e.g. I downloaded and ran windows memory tester which
    >created some .iso file to hdd. Can I boot from this.
    >
    >Similar is the case of Norton disk image.

    OK.

    Thanks for both the replies. I understand that it is not
    possible.

    But I was thinking when it can boot up if the same thing is
    put on a floppy/ cd, then it should be theoritical possible
    to boot from it even if it is in hd.

    So I thought, maybe some utility exist. Or is it
    theoretically impossible to bypass boot sequence once the
    control passes to HD?

    --
    Rawat

    "V S Rawat" <VSRawat@invalid.none> wrote in message
    > OK.
    >
    > Thanks for both the replies. I understand that it is not possible.
    >
    > But I was thinking when it can boot up if the same thing is put on a
    > floppy/ cd, then it should be theoritical possible to boot from it even if
    > it is in hd.
    >
    > So I thought, maybe some utility exist. Or is it theoretically impossible
    > to bypass boot sequence once the control passes to HD?
    >
    > --
    > Rawat
    >
    > On 3/16/05 6:08 PM India Time, _Lil' Dave_ wrote:
    >
    >> PCs can't boot from image files to begin with.
    >>
    >> "V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Win98SE
    >>>
    >>>There are programs that create a bootdisk and ask you to
    >>>boot from it. Alternatively, they save a cd image of the
    >>>same in your harddisk and you are supposed to burn that to
    >>>some cd and boot from that cd.
    >>>
    >>>When we have that CD image file on harddisk, is there any
    >>>method that we can boot from that folder/file instead of our
    >>>usual win98SE boot from C:?
    >>>
    >>>or can we save those bootdisk files to somewhere in harddisk
    >>>and boot from that?
    >>>---
    >>>e.g. I downloaded and ran windows memory tester which
    >>>created some .iso file to hdd. Can I boot from this.
    >>>
    >>>Similar is the case of Norton disk image.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Rawat

    this might interest you

    http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/

    V S Rawat <VSRawat@invalid.none> Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:25:52 +0530 wrote

    >But I was thinking when it can boot up if the same thing is
    >put on a floppy/ cd, then it should be theoritical possible
    >to boot from it even if it is in hd.
    >
    >So I thought, maybe some utility exist. Or is it
    >theoretically impossible to bypass boot sequence once the
    >control passes to HD?

    The boot must load an initial program code from a boot sector
    of HD, floppy, or other devices supported by PC BIOS.
    In case of HD booting, Master boot sector (MBR) of HD
    then pass control to boot sector of active disk partition.

    boot sector do not know much about how work with file systems,
    present on current physical media/disk partition.
    They have 512 bytes, they pass control to basic OS files
    by very simple way.

    There could be a way - create a special kind of primary partition
    (e.g. by Ranish partition manager - up to 31 primary ones)
    and make some mapping that image file to it, having first sector
    of file as boot sector of that partition.
    Make a search for such utility.

    It would be an easy way for any boot manager ( so does Ranish )
    boot from that partition.

    --
    "Libor the Wanderer" <poutnikqdel@atthislas.cz>

    Any supposed offense is because of bad english a/o formulation
    and was not intended.
    ForPrivateResponseRemoveDelAndThisFromAboveAddress.

    If you're attempting to create a boot recovery CD with image file(s), yes it
    possible to boot from that CD,
    I do that in the following manner:
    Create a boot CD using a startup boot floppy as image source, leaving the
    session open. Then, I burn both the image recovery program and image file
    to the CD, then close the session.
    This creates a boot CD (A:), then you access the remainder of the CD as an
    alternate drive letter like D: for instance.
    This can be easily done with Nero versions 5.xx or 6.xx, and WinImage
    program for imaging the startup diskette. You must rename the diskette
    image file to the proper filename 3 letter extension for Nero to use it.
    Don't use the Express version of Nero for all this. You won't find the
    needed options. I understand that its also doable on DVD+RW, but I've not
    tried that yet.
    "V S Rawat" <VSRawat@invalid.none> wrote in message
    > OK.
    >
    > Thanks for both the replies. I understand that it is not
    > possible.
    >
    > But I was thinking when it can boot up if the same thing is
    > put on a floppy/ cd, then it should be theoritical possible
    > to boot from it even if it is in hd.
    >
    > So I thought, maybe some utility exist. Or is it
    > theoretically impossible to bypass boot sequence once the
    > control passes to HD?
    >
    > --
    > Rawat
    >
    > On 3/16/05 6:08 PM India Time, _Lil' Dave_ wrote:
    >
    > > PCs can't boot from image files to begin with.
    > >
    > > "V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Win98SE
    > >>
    > >>There are programs that create a bootdisk and ask you to
    > >>boot from it. Alternatively, they save a cd image of the
    > >>same in your harddisk and you are supposed to burn that to
    > >>some cd and boot from that cd.
    > >>
    > >>When we have that CD image file on harddisk, is there any
    > >>method that we can boot from that folder/file instead of our
    > >>usual win98SE boot from C:?
    > >>
    > >>or can we save those bootdisk files to somewhere in harddisk
    > >>and boot from that?
    > >>---
    > >>e.g. I downloaded and ran windows memory tester which
    > >>created some .iso file to hdd. Can I boot from this.
    > >>
    > >>Similar is the case of Norton disk image.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Rawat

    You need to provide exactly what you're attempting to do for specific help
    to that end. Otherwise, its just vapor and fog to provide the correct
    solution.
    "V S Rawat" <VSRawat@invalid.none> wrote in message
    > OK.
    >
    > Thanks for both the replies. I understand that it is not
    > possible.
    >
    > But I was thinking when it can boot up if the same thing is
    > put on a floppy/ cd, then it should be theoritical possible
    > to boot from it even if it is in hd.
    >
    > So I thought, maybe some utility exist. Or is it
    > theoretically impossible to bypass boot sequence once the
    > control passes to HD?
    >
    > --
    > Rawat
    >
    > On 3/16/05 6:08 PM India Time, _Lil' Dave_ wrote:
    >
    > > PCs can't boot from image files to begin with.
    > >
    > > "V S Rawat" <VSRawat@HCLInfinet.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Win98SE
    > >>
    > >>There are programs that create a bootdisk and ask you to
    > >>boot from it. Alternatively, they save a cd image of the
    > >>same in your harddisk and you are supposed to burn that to
    > >>some cd and boot from that cd.
    > >>
    > >>When we have that CD image file on harddisk, is there any
    > >>method that we can boot from that folder/file instead of our
    > >>usual win98SE boot from C:?
    > >>
    > >>or can we save those bootdisk files to somewhere in harddisk
    > >>and boot from that?
    > >>---
    > >>e.g. I downloaded and ran windows memory tester which
    > >>created some .iso file to hdd. Can I boot from this.
    > >>
    > >>Similar is the case of Norton disk image.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Rawat

    I had written in my first post in this thread that,
    following the suggestions from this ng, I downloaded and ran
    windows memory tester.

    It created some .iso file in my hdd. And is asking me to
    copy it to some cd and boot from that cd.

    I was wondering whether I can somehow boot from this file in
    hdd bypassing the regular booting sequence. That will save
    me all the trouble of wasting a CD for running this program.

    Suggestion by Libor Striz seems good, thought that will be
    too much for me to try. I have 98/xp dual boot with data in
    all four partitions. Thus, trying to avoid touching the
    partitions/Fdisk.

    --
    Rawat

    On 3/17/05 3:10 AM India Time, _Libor Striz_ wrote:

    > V S Rawat <VSRawat@invalid.none> Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:25:52 +0530 wrote
    >

    >>But I was thinking when it can boot up if the same thing is
    >>put on a floppy/ cd, then it should be theoritical possible
    >>to boot from it even if it is in hd.
    >>
    >>So I thought, maybe some utility exist. Or is it
    >>theoretically impossible to bypass boot sequence once the
    >>control passes to HD?
    >>

    > The boot must load an initial program code from a boot sector
    > of HD, floppy, or other devices supported by PC BIOS.
    > In case of HD booting, Master boot sector (MBR) of HD
    > then pass control to boot sector of active disk partition.
    >
    > boot sector do not know much about how work with file systems,
    > present on current physical media/disk partition.
    > They have 512 bytes, they pass control to basic OS files
    > by very simple way.
    >
    > There could be a way - create a special kind of primary partition
    > (e.g. by Ranish partition manager - up to 31 primary ones)
    > and make some mapping that image file to it, having first sector
    > of file as boot sector of that partition.
    > Make a search for such utility.
    >
    > It would be an easy way for any boot manager ( so does Ranish )
    > boot from that partition.

    Thanks Libor for insightful reply.

    I feel I am going beyond the general scope of trouble
    shooting in this ng, but can't help.

    Take one example. When you install a new program and restart
    the box, you get a message that windows is doing something
    about just installed program.

    Similary if you run some disk optimizer, or registry
    optimizer (norton? system mechanik?), as soon as system
    boots, it takes control and does its own things before it
    allows windows to boot up fully. Sometime it takes another
    boot to get to win, after that program has finished its work

    I mean, there seem to be built-in ways in which normal
    booting sequence can be interrupted to run some other
    program which takes full control of system.

    Coming to the basics, isn't boot menu
    (normal/safe/commandpromt) an example of such interrupting
    the boot process?

    And, going to safe mode, or going to command prompt, itself
    are another example.

    can I somehow tweak in my some program to take control from
    there onwards and run itself without passing the control to win?

    --
    Rawat

    V S Rawat <VSRawat@invalid.none> Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:43:33 +0530 wrote

    >On 3/17/05 3:10 AM India Time, _Libor Striz_ wrote:
    >
    >> V S Rawat <VSRawat@invalid.none> Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:25:52 +0530 wrote
    >>

    >Take one example. When you install a new program and restart
    >the box, you get a message that windows is doing something
    >about just installed program.
    >
    >Similary if you run some disk optimizer, or registry
    >optimizer (norton? system mechanik?), as soon as system
    >boots, it takes control and does its own things before it
    >allows windows to boot up fully. Sometime it takes another
    >boot to get to win, after that program has finished its work
    >
    >I mean, there seem to be built-in ways in which normal
    >booting sequence can be interrupted to run some other
    >program which takes full control of system.

    There is built-in way to interrupt normal booting sequence,
    but it is fully directed by OS loader. When it does it,
    what does it anf if will ask an user by some user prompt.

    >Coming to the basics, isn't boot menu
    >(normal/safe/commandpromt) an example of such interrupting
    >the boot process?

    Bacause of OS loader was programmed by that way
    ( if F8 pressed, ask user what to do.....)

    >And, going to safe mode, or going to command prompt, itself
    >are another example.

    So does here.

    >can I somehow tweak in my some program to take control from
    >there onwards and run itself without passing the control to win?

    If mDOS based, put them in autoexec.bat.

    If windows based, you can put prog in registry :

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServiceO
    nce

    --

    V S Rawat <VSRawat@invalid.none> Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:30:58 +0530 wrote

    >I was wondering whether I can somehow boot from this file in
    >hdd bypassing the regular booting sequence. That will save
    >me all the trouble of wasting a CD for running this program.

    You would need a very very clever boot sector initial code :-)
    It would need to know, where the file is and how can be loaded.
    But without OS loaded ( even DOS need be booted into itself)
    boot sectors know in general nothing about file systems.

    Why not use CD-RW ? It is ideal for experimenting for Boot CDs.
    Ask sb if you do not have RW writing possibilities.

    >Suggestion by Libor Striz seems good, thought that will be
    >too much for me to try. I have 98/xp dual boot with data in
    >all four partitions. Thus, trying to avoid touching the
    >partitions/Fdisk.

    Ranish Partition Manager allows you to have up to 31 primary partitions,
    it is up to you, which 4 ones you put into MBR when booting.

    You can have e.g. 20 OSs installed if you want and have space on disk.
    You can have e.g. 3 independent Win98 instalation
    ( working, experimental and rescue instalation.) + DOS 6.22 instalation
    + 3 different Linuxes
    + XP + 2000 .......

    >>>But I was thinking when it can boot up if the same thing is
    >>>put on a floppy/ cd, then it should be theoritical possible
    >>>to boot from it even if it is in hd.

    Boot sector of such floppy is taylored by special way.
    And booted file must have its special place.
    Move one sector to another place - failure.

    Having it on your partition - by by Windows....

    >>>So I thought, maybe some utility exist. Or is it
    >>>theoretically impossible to bypass boot sequence once the
    >>>control passes to HD?

    There is always option to have in MBR any piece of code.
    Another question what it can do ....
    What it can do with filesystem without OS that only knows
    how work with it.

    --

    > snip <
    >
    > I mean, there seem to be built-in ways in which normal booting sequence
    > can be interrupted to run some other program which takes full control of
    > system.

    This is easily done, but the procedure is specific to the boot process,
    which in turn is specific to the OS being booted. So when it happens the
    machine has already been booted, and what you are talking about is not
    usually regarded as part of the boot process.

    As far as Windows 9x is concerned, the process is described here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=142255
    How to Use Program Manager for the Windows Shell

    For DOS, the CLI can be replaced by writing a different COMMAND.COM, or by
    simply executing any other program that does not exit to CLI.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

Boot Hard Drives CD-Rom Windows