Hey, correct me if I'm wrong...

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
I just saw the new Zalman VF900 GPU cooler. At first glance, it looks like a good idea - a solid copper base with two heatpipes that are cooled off by copper fins in the traditional Zalman arrangement.

Zalman 900

At first glance, this looks like a good idea. However, and please correct me if I am wrong, this design is actually somewhat moronic. Think about it: most graphic cards are upside down in the case (in other words, the top of the GPU is facing down). Heatpipes cannot work when they are inverted. Ergo, the heatpipes are truly useless on this cooler.

Am I correct or am I just smoking crack?

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Heatpipes are simple devices. A fluid is contained in the heatpipe (anywhere between 10% and 50% of the heatpipe's volume is filled with fluid). Heat is transfered from the heatsink to the heatpipe which, in turn, causes the fluid to evaporate. Since it is a closed system, the evaporated fluid rises (heat always rises) where it is cooled, ususally by a second heatsink. As the evaporated fluid is cooled by the second heatsink, it condenses and falls (via gravity) back to the first heatsink where it begins the process all over again.

This is why heatpipes don't work when they are inverted - the fluid gathers AWAY from the first heatsink. With the Zalman, the fluid would be around the fins and the evaporated fluid would be stuck right under the GPU heatsink - exactly the opposite of the way it is supposed to work.

guyinyourattic37

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
No offence, but do u really think that a company like zalman would make as big of a mistake as that. Don't they research stuff like that. So i think heatpipes can be inverted.

natman

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I think you find that nearly all heat pipes used in heatsinks today use some form of "wick" to allow the coolant to flow in the desired direction via Capillary Action

Basically it means you don't have to worry what orientation you mount the heat pipe it will just work