• Homebuilt
  • Light
  • Green
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 21, 2006 10:58:58 PM

Hi,

Probably a dumb question, but i think my PSU is dead, as nothing in the PC does anything when i press the start button. However there is still a green light on the motherboard. Even if the PSU is dead, will this green light come on?

Advice welcome. Like does the green light mean my motherboard is ok?

More about : psu dead green mobo light

April 21, 2006 11:08:13 PM

Depends on the mobo, but in most cases it means the PS is connected correctly and powered, so you should be able to power up.

I had an Abit that had a red led for the "ps ready" and another green one when the system was booted.

If you got nothing when you hit the power maybe the power-on header slipped loose, check w/ a mulitmeter w/ the continuity test or resistance check, it should short when depressed. If it is bad you can use a jumper momentarily on the ps-on header to power up.

If nothing still go bare-bones and pull all the hdd cables / pci cards until you are left w/ the mobo / mem / cpu & fan / mem (maybe just one stick if two) / ps / keyboard / ps-on switch only. If you can't get into the bios you have some serious hw issues...

edit - yes the first thing I would swap out is the PS with a known working system. Friends / neighbors come in handy if you don't have a stockpile, buy beer and a gas grille - works for me :wink:
April 22, 2006 12:27:19 AM

I HAD THE FREAKING SAME PROBLEM! I'm not even f'ing kidding...Mine was a bad PSU. Take the PSU out and try smelling it. Mine smelled like burnt plastic. Opened it up, and guess what I found? BAD CAPS!!! I had been getting low voltage readings lately, like 11.1 or even high tens on +12. Finally, it burnt out for good. Currently waiting for a 600W PSU to ship, it was a weak 400W from 2001!

~Ibrahim~
Related resources
!