Fatal Exeception in 06

I'm working on a system (an HP Pavillion) that has decided that it will not
complete the start up of WIN98SE. It will bring up this "blue screen of
death" message that refers to a Fatal Exeception 06 at 0000:00000813

Click the return key and it begins to show errors in msgsrv32 (illegal
operation)

I can restart this system in safe Mode and upon performing sfc.exe I find
several errors in files that I can't get to (because in safe mode the CD-ROM
is not operational)

This just started happening recently and what I'd like to know is.....
1) What could have caused it?
2) Is there a way to perform sfc.exe in safe mode?
3) Even after reloading WIN98SE (actually did an overlay of the OS and
didn't lose any important documents and files, it is still the same. But acts
near normal in SAFE MODE.

--
"One Time I Thought I Was Wrong
....But I Was Mistaken..."

1. If Haggis doesn't have your answer, come on back.

2. Unless you have been keeping the SFC database updated, you don't
usually want to restore any files that SFC flags. Investigate, yes.
"Fix", not usually.

3. Reinstalling the system, whether an overinstall or a clean one,
should always be your last resort. It usually doesn't solve any
problems, and an overinstall usually results in mismatched system files,
DLL Hell, broken patches and even, sometimes, broken applications.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Part-Time Defender of the Universe"
<PartTimeDefenderoftheUniverse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:8DEDE492-ADA1-41E3-800C-BAA61D33409C@microsoft.com...
> I'm working on a system (an HP Pavillion) that has decided that it
will not
> complete the start up of WIN98SE. It will bring up this "blue screen
of
> death" message that refers to a Fatal Exeception 06 at 0000:00000813
>
> Click the return key and it begins to show errors in msgsrv32 (illegal
> operation)
>
> I can restart this system in safe Mode and upon performing sfc.exe I
find
> several errors in files that I can't get to (because in safe mode the
CD-ROM
> is not operational)
>
> This just started happening recently and what I'd like to know is.....
> 1) What could have caused it?
> 2) Is there a way to perform sfc.exe in safe mode?
> 3) Even after reloading WIN98SE (actually did an overlay of the OS and
> didn't lose any important documents and files, it is still the same.
But acts
> near normal in SAFE MODE.
>

> --
> "One Time I Thought I Was Wrong
> ...But I Was Mistaken..."

This might help:

Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188867

You might want to copy the \win98 installation files from the CD to the hard
disk so that you can access these files in safe mode. To do this, boot from
a Win98 boot disk and copy the \win98 folder to the hard drive. If you were
running a newer version of Internet Explorer, I'd also copy an IE install to
the hard drive and run that from Safe Mode. If you reinstall the same
version or newer than was on the system, the older files will be overwritten
with the newer ones. If you have a CD of a program that included an IE
installation, you can copy the folder to the hard drive. For instance, I'm
looking at a Quicken 2002 CD right now and it has a folder called IE that
contains the file IE5setup.exe. This is what you run to install IE. If you
have a newer version, it might be IE55setup.exe or IE6setup.exe. This way
you don't have to access the Internet to install IE.

Money 2004 has an IE folder and included IE6setup.exe. IE is included with
just about every program that accesses the Internet or has the capability
and the program will have shipped with the most current version at that
time.

If all else fails, you might try installing to a new folder. This is a
favorite of mine for troubleshooting. If this works, then you know that the
problem is software and not hardware. To use this folder, you'd need to
reinstall all of your applications while running Windows from this folder.
If you want to further troubleshoot after installing to a new folder, the
article tells you how to get back to your previous installation (as long as
you followed their instructions on the installation).

How to Install Windows 98 Into a New Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902

As for what could have caused the problem, it could be virus, file
corruption, hardware failure, etc.

PattyL

"Part-Time Defender of the Universe"
<PartTimeDefenderoftheUniverse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm working on a system (an HP Pavillion) that has decided that it will
> not
> complete the start up of WIN98SE. It will bring up this "blue screen of
> death" message that refers to a Fatal Exeception 06 at 0000:00000813
>
> Click the return key and it begins to show errors in msgsrv32 (illegal
> operation)
>
> I can restart this system in safe Mode and upon performing sfc.exe I find
> several errors in files that I can't get to (because in safe mode the
> CD-ROM
> is not operational)
>
> This just started happening recently and what I'd like to know is.....
> 1) What could have caused it?
> 2) Is there a way to perform sfc.exe in safe mode?
> 3) Even after reloading WIN98SE (actually did an overlay of the OS and
> didn't lose any important documents and files, it is still the same. But
> acts
> near normal in SAFE MODE.
>

> --
> "One Time I Thought I Was Wrong
> ...But I Was Mistaken..."

HAGGIS

"Part-Time Defender of the Universe"
<PartTimeDefenderoftheUniverse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm working on a system (an HP Pavillion) that has decided that it will
> not
> complete the start up of WIN98SE. It will bring up this "blue screen of
> death" message that refers to a Fatal Exeception 06 at 0000:00000813
>
> Click the return key and it begins to show errors in msgsrv32 (illegal
> operation)
>
> I can restart this system in safe Mode and upon performing sfc.exe I find
> several errors in files that I can't get to (because in safe mode the
> CD-ROM
> is not operational)
>
> This just started happening recently and what I'd like to know is.....
> 1) What could have caused it?
> 2) Is there a way to perform sfc.exe in safe mode?
> 3) Even after reloading WIN98SE (actually did an overlay of the OS and
> didn't lose any important documents and files, it is still the same. But
> acts
> near normal in SAFE MODE.
>

> --
> "One Time I Thought I Was Wrong
> ...But I Was Mistaken..."

this may apply

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190123

Nope.....
That was the firs tthing I thought.
The machine originally had NORTON but when the "free subscription" ran out,
it was changed over to GRISOFT's AVG anti virus.

In the safe mode I was able to remove AVG from the files and it doesn't show
up in the .bat file.

Another note:
After pressing the "any" key (and I added one to this keyboard so there
would be no confusion) the client's computer almost immediatly gets an error
msg of msgserv32 not responding. When I click that "any" key, another msg
comes up about some sort of HP product. Clicking the "any" key again brings
up another error msg about LOADQ (I think that's right).

The "any" ket is pressed again and the system seems to freeze up but mouse
and keyboard are active.

A "Vulcan Mind Pinch" (i.e. ctrl-alt-del) and in the list of running
programs, at the bottom of the list, there seems to be 3 "unknown" programs
trying to start.

Baffling? Yes.....

Anyone up to this challenge?

"Haggis" wrote:

> "Part-Time Defender of the Universe"
> <PartTimeDefenderoftheUniverse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm working on a system (an HP Pavillion) that has decided that it will
> > not
> > complete the start up of WIN98SE. It will bring up this "blue screen of
> > death" message that refers to a Fatal Exeception 06 at 0000:00000813
> >
> > Click the return key and it begins to show errors in msgsrv32 (illegal
> > operation)
> >
> > I can restart this system in safe Mode and upon performing sfc.exe I find
> > several errors in files that I can't get to (because in safe mode the
> > CD-ROM
> > is not operational)
> >
> > This just started happening recently and what I'd like to know is.....
> > 1) What could have caused it?
> > 2) Is there a way to perform sfc.exe in safe mode?
> > 3) Even after reloading WIN98SE (actually did an overlay of the OS and
> > didn't lose any important documents and files, it is still the same. But
> > acts
> > near normal in SAFE MODE.
> >

> > --
> > "One Time I Thought I Was Wrong
> > ...But I Was Mistaken..."
>
> this may apply
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190123

Nope...sfc has not been kept up to date. I've only been working with this
client since August 2004.

Haggis' idea didn't pan out either. I've posted a thread to his with some
more info.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> 1. If Haggis doesn't have your answer, come on back.
>
> 2. Unless you have been keeping the SFC database updated, you don't
> usually want to restore any files that SFC flags. Investigate, yes.
> "Fix", not usually.
>
> 3. Reinstalling the system, whether an overinstall or a clean one,
> should always be your last resort. It usually doesn't solve any
> problems, and an overinstall usually results in mismatched system files,
> DLL Hell, broken patches and even, sometimes, broken applications.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Part-Time Defender of the Universe"
> <PartTimeDefenderoftheUniverse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:8DEDE492-ADA1-41E3-800C-BAA61D33409C@microsoft.com...
> > I'm working on a system (an HP Pavillion) that has decided that it
> will not
> > complete the start up of WIN98SE. It will bring up this "blue screen
> of
> > death" message that refers to a Fatal Exeception 06 at 0000:00000813
> >
> > Click the return key and it begins to show errors in msgsrv32 (illegal
> > operation)
> >
> > I can restart this system in safe Mode and upon performing sfc.exe I
> find
> > several errors in files that I can't get to (because in safe mode the
> CD-ROM
> > is not operational)
> >
> > This just started happening recently and what I'd like to know is.....
> > 1) What could have caused it?
> > 2) Is there a way to perform sfc.exe in safe mode?
> > 3) Even after reloading WIN98SE (actually did an overlay of the OS and
> > didn't lose any important documents and files, it is still the same.
> But acts
> > near normal in SAFE MODE.
> >

> > --
> > "One Time I Thought I Was Wrong
> > ...But I Was Mistaken..."

Hardware was my first idea.
All hardware checked out on another machine.
I've posted some more info as a thread to HAGGIS' reply

You guys have been great so far.

This poor old mind is so used to workiong on XP that it's forgotten alot
about 98SE

I think after this, I'm going to keep a machine running 98Se, just for
practice.

"PattyL" wrote:

> [...]
> > I'm working on a system (an HP Pavillion) that has decided that it will
> > not
> > complete the start up of WIN98SE. It will bring up this "blue screen of
> > death" message that refers to a Fatal Exeception 06 at 0000:00000813
> >
> > Click the return key and it begins to show errors in msgsrv32 (illegal
> > operation)
> >
> > I can restart this system in safe Mode and upon performing sfc.exe I find
> > several errors in files that I can't get to (because in safe mode the
> > CD-ROM
> > is not operational)
> >
> > This just started happening recently and what I'd like to know is.....
> > 1) What could have caused it?
> > 2) Is there a way to perform sfc.exe in safe mode?
> > 3) Even after reloading WIN98SE (actually did an overlay of the OS and
> > didn't lose any important documents and files, it is still the same. But

If the system just recently started doing this, check to see if KB891711
has been installed (Add/Remove Programs). If so, uninstall it. This
patch came out last week, and while it is a Critical Update, it is
wreaking havoc on a significant number of machines. It doesn't *usually*
kick in at Startup (it usually kicks in when going online), but you
never know. If this turns out to be the problem, you can help us by
posting details on the system, particularly processor type and speed,
BIOS version, motherboard chipset, display adapter type, and so forth.
Also, you might try reinstalling the KB891711 update but with Spybot,
your virus scanner, and all other apps closed or otherwise disabled, and
see if you still get the same problems. If so, uninstall the update
again. (Thanks Glen.)

Otherwise, with three Unknown apps running, perhaps you should be
looking at malware. See the articles in my sig, specifically the second
one, though you're going to want to use Clean Boot procedures, too. In
this case, you're going to want to start your Clean Boot procedures in
Safe Mode, then see if you can get into Normal Mode in order to download
the appropriate scanning utilities. If you simply can't get online with
that machine, you'll need to download the apps on a different system,
burn them to CD, then boot the problem machine to a Windows Startup
floppy (preferably one with XCOPY.EXE added.) Then use COPY or XCOPY to
transfer the apps to the HDD, then restart in Safe Mode to install and
run them. Remember, when downloading the apps, to also download the
current updates and definitions, since you won't be able to get online
at first.

--

message news:4DA55B1C-1576-445A-9A90-9DCA589E51DA@microsoft.com...
> Nope...sfc has not been kept up to date. I've only been working with
this
> client since August 2004.
>
> Haggis' idea didn't pan out either. I've posted a thread to his with
some
> more info.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > 1. If Haggis doesn't have your answer, come on back.
> >
> > 2. Unless you have been keeping the SFC database updated, you don't
> > usually want to restore any files that SFC flags. Investigate, yes.
> > "Fix", not usually.
> >
> > 3. Reinstalling the system, whether an overinstall or a clean one,
> > should always be your last resort. It usually doesn't solve any
> > problems, and an overinstall usually results in mismatched system
files,
> > DLL Hell, broken patches and even, sometimes, broken applications.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Part-Time Defender of the Universe"
> > <PartTimeDefenderoftheUniverse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:8DEDE492-ADA1-41E3-800C-BAA61D33409C@microsoft.com...
> > > I'm working on a system (an HP Pavillion) that has decided that it
> > will not
> > > complete the start up of WIN98SE. It will bring up this "blue
screen
> > of
> > > death" message that refers to a Fatal Exeception 06 at
0000:00000813

> > > Click the return key and it begins to show errors in msgsrv32
(illegal
> > > operation)
> > >
> > > I can restart this system in safe Mode and upon performing sfc.exe
> > find
> > > several errors in files that I can't get to (because in safe mode
the
> > CD-ROM
> > > is not operational)
> > >
> > > This just started happening recently and what I'd like to know
is.....
> > > 1) What could have caused it?
> > > 2) Is there a way to perform sfc.exe in safe mode?
> > > 3) Even after reloading WIN98SE (actually did an overlay of the OS
and
> > > didn't lose any important documents and files, it is still the
same.
> > But acts
> > > near normal in SAFE MODE.
> > >

> > > --
> > > "One Time I Thought I Was Wrong
> > > ...But I Was Mistaken..."

Well,
Seeing as this machine is setup to use BELLSOUTH DSL, it must be kicking in
during startup. As a matter of fact, I do remember seeing a KB in the running
programs when it does that thing it does.

I'll try your advice and let you know what comes of it.

Thanks.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> [...]
> > Nope...sfc has not been kept up to date. I've only been working with
> this
> > client since August 2004.
> >
> > Haggis' idea didn't pan out either. I've posted a thread to his with
> some
> > more info.
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > 1. If Haggis doesn't have your answer, come on back.
> > >
> > > 2. Unless you have been keeping the SFC database updated, you don't
> > > usually want to restore any files that SFC flags. Investigate, yes.
> > > "Fix", not usually.
> > >
> > > 3. Reinstalling the system, whether an overinstall or a clean one,
> > > should always be your last resort. It usually doesn't solve any
> > > problems, and an overinstall usually results in mismatched system
> files,
> > > DLL Hell, broken patches and even, sometimes, broken applications.

Hurrah
Success

All is well in my universe.

Now, my plan of action is as follows
1) Run a complete error check of the drive (it's been over 58 days)
2) Defrag the drive (same length if time on this also)
3) Re-install the update......
4) THEN, I'll install the necessary virus protection & ADWARE/SPYBOT stuff.

Thank you all for your help.

"Part-Time Defender of the Universe" wrote:

> Nope.....
> That was the firs tthing I thought.
> The machine originally had NORTON but when the "free subscription" ran out,
> it was changed over to GRISOFT's AVG anti virus.
>
> In the safe mode I was able to remove AVG from the files and it doesn't show
> up in the .bat file.
>
> Another note:
> After pressing the "any" key (and I added one to this keyboard so there
> would be no confusion) the client's computer almost immediatly gets an error
> msg of msgserv32 not responding. When I click that "any" key, another msg
> comes up about some sort of HP product. Clicking the "any" key again brings
> up another error msg about LOADQ (I think that's right).
>
> The "any" ket is pressed again and the system seems to freeze up but mouse
> and keyboard are active.
>
> A "Vulcan Mind Pinch" (i.e. ctrl-alt-del) and in the list of running
> programs, at the bottom of the list, there seems to be 3 "unknown" programs
> trying to start.
>
> Baffling? Yes.....
>
> Anyone up to this challenge?
>
> "Haggis" wrote:
>

> > "Part-Time Defender of the Universe"
> > <PartTimeDefenderoftheUniverse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm working on a system (an HP Pavillion) that has decided that it will
> > > not
> > > complete the start up of WIN98SE. It will bring up this "blue screen of
> > > death" message that refers to a Fatal Exeception 06 at 0000:00000813
> > >
> > > Click the return key and it begins to show errors in msgsrv32 (illegal
> > > operation)
> > >
> > > I can restart this system in safe Mode and upon performing sfc.exe I find
> > > several errors in files that I can't get to (because in safe mode the
> > > CD-ROM
> > > is not operational)
> > >
> > > This just started happening recently and what I'd like to know is.....
> > > 1) What could have caused it?
> > > 2) Is there a way to perform sfc.exe in safe mode?
> > > 3) Even after reloading WIN98SE (actually did an overlay of the OS and
> > > didn't lose any important documents and files, it is still the same. But
> > > acts
> > > near normal in SAFE MODE.
> > >

> > > --
> > > "One Time I Thought I Was Wrong
> > > ...But I Was Mistaken..."
> >
> > this may apply

So, are you saying that you fixed the problem by uninstalling KB891711, then
disabling (or uninstalling) your anti-virus and/or Ad-Aware/SpyBot, then
reinstalling the KB891711 update, and only then re-enabling (or is it re-installing)
the A-V and Ad-Aware/SpyBot? Or am I not understanding what you are implying?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

> Hurrah
> Success
>
> All is well in my universe.
>
> Now, my plan of action is as follows
> 1) Run a complete error check of the drive (it's been over 58 days)
> 2) Defrag the drive (same length if time on this also)
> 3) Re-install the update......
> 4) THEN, I'll install the necessary virus protection & ADWARE/SPYBOT stuff.
>
> Thank you all for your help.
>
> "Part-Time Defender of the Universe" wrote:
>
> > Nope.....
> > That was the firs tthing I thought.
> > The machine originally had NORTON but when the "free subscription" ran out,
> > it was changed over to GRISOFT's AVG anti virus.
> >
> > In the safe mode I was able to remove AVG from the files and it doesn't show
> > up in the .bat file.
> >
> > Another note:
> > After pressing the "any" key (and I added one to this keyboard so there
> > would be no confusion) the client's computer almost immediatly gets an error
> > msg of msgserv32 not responding. When I click that "any" key, another msg
> > comes up about some sort of HP product. Clicking the "any" key again brings
> > up another error msg about LOADQ (I think that's right).
> >
> > The "any" ket is pressed again and the system seems to freeze up but mouse
> > and keyboard are active.
> >
> > A "Vulcan Mind Pinch" (i.e. ctrl-alt-del) and in the list of running
> > programs, at the bottom of the list, there seems to be 3 "unknown" programs
> > trying to start.
> >
> > Baffling? Yes.....
> >
> > Anyone up to this challenge?
> >
> > "Haggis" wrote:
> >

> > > "Part-Time Defender of the Universe"
> > > <PartTimeDefenderoftheUniverse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > this may apply
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190123

I'd also like to know what the "any" key is. I don't see one like that!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,