  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
February 4, 2005 5:40:14 PM

I've been struggling for some while now with magenta and cyan
horizontal lines running across prints at all resolutions. No amount
of cleaning fixes this and it seems from posts elsewhere that the
fault may lie with the print head or possibly a faulty circuit within
the printer. Either way, it seems to be a known problem to everyone
except Epson!
My question really is how common is this. I really loved this printer
and there doesn't seem to be anything on the market for A3 that
matches it. Do I take this as a rare problem or will my next Epson do
the same in less than 3 years?! Also is there anyone out there who has
a cure without a big bill!

More about : epson 1290 fine horizontal lines

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 8:40:20 PM

Walter,

Would you be kind enough to send me (in private email) a 300 dpi scan of
an area of a print showing this defect, jpegged at high quality?

The area can be about 2" x 4".

I'm assuming these lines are going through margin areas that normally
are not printed upon, and they recur on a regular frequency down the page?

After looking at it, I can help you to diagnose the likely cause.

Also, which printer is it? 1270 by any chance?

Art

Walter wrote:

> I've been struggling for some while now with magenta and cyan
> horizontal lines running across prints at all resolutions. No amount
> of cleaning fixes this and it seems from posts elsewhere that the
> fault may lie with the print head or possibly a faulty circuit within
> the printer. Either way, it seems to be a known problem to everyone
> except Epson!
> My question really is how common is this. I really loved this printer
> and there doesn't seem to be anything on the market for A3 that
> matches it. Do I take this as a rare problem or will my next Epson do
> the same in less than 3 years?! Also is there anyone out there who has
> a cure without a big bill!
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 5:04:51 AM

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:40:20 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
wrote:

>Walter,
>
>Would you be kind enough to send me (in private email) a 300 dpi scan of
>an area of a print showing this defect, jpegged at high quality?
>
>The area can be about 2" x 4".
>
>I'm assuming these lines are going through margin areas that normally
>are not printed upon, and they recur on a regular frequency down the page?
>
>After looking at it, I can help you to diagnose the likely cause.
>
>Also, which printer is it? 1270 by any chance?

Arthur, it's probably those damned wheels again.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Hello Art
Actually I did email a sample but I wonder if I got your email address
correct (I took out the dots?) I don't understand about wheels though,
this seems to be the other problem you mention concerning faulty print
heads! Surely if we're talking pizza wheels the lines would be vertical
not horizontal or am I barking up the wrong tree?! I'll try emailing
again. Thanks for your patience!
Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Walter hasn't yet gotten back to me. If he does we may know more.
>
> Art

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 9:29:59 PM

In this case, that last question I asked shows that my wheel weren't
quite turning... the subject mentions it is a 1290.

Hecate wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:40:20 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Walter,
>>
>>Would you be kind enough to send me (in private email) a 300 dpi scan of
>>an area of a print showing this defect, jpegged at high quality?
>>
>>The area can be about 2" x 4".
>>
>>I'm assuming these lines are going through margin areas that normally
>>are not printed upon, and they recur on a regular frequency down the page?
>>
>>After looking at it, I can help you to diagnose the likely cause.
>>
>>Also, which printer is it? 1270 by any chance?
>>

> Arthur, it's probably those damned wheels again.
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:09:43 PM

Hi Walter, you got my email address correct this last time, as I
received and replied to your request.

I'm not sure what Hecate is referring to in terms of wheels either. I
agree, if he is referring to the "pizza" wheels they would show up in
the other vector.

Art

walterREMOVE@oldgarage.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> Hello Art
> Actually I did email a sample but I wonder if I got your email address
> correct (I took out the dots?) I don't understand about wheels though,
> this seems to be the other problem you mention concerning faulty print
> heads! Surely if we're talking pizza wheels the lines would be vertical
> not horizontal or am I barking up the wrong tree?! I'll try emailing
> again. Thanks for your patience!
> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>>Walter hasn't yet gotten back to me. If he does we may know more.
>>
>>Art

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 5:28:43 AM

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:09:43 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
wrote:

>Hi Walter, you got my email address correct this last time, as I
>received and replied to your request.
>
>I'm not sure what Hecate is referring to in terms of wheels either. I
>agree, if he is referring to the "pizza" wheels they would show up in
>the other vector.

OK. Perhaps I wasn't reading closely enough. I just automatically
suspect pizza wheels when I see lines across print with an Epson :)
--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Well guess what - call me stupid but I loved my 1290 so much I'm buying
another one - but this time with a 3 year service contract, including
the print head! Only £45 here in UK from www.cameras2u.com

Thanks Art for all your help, and your comments too Hecate. I hoep I've
done the right thing but after comparing prints with some HP and Canons
+ returns from 2 photo labs all of the same prints I still liked the
1290 best! I just hope this one lasts longer - my wife thinks I'm mad!
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 4:41:55 AM

On 13 Feb 2005 08:06:59 -0800, walterREMOVE@oldgarage.freeserve.co.uk
wrote:

>Well guess what - call me stupid but I loved my 1290 so much I'm buying
>another one - but this time with a 3 year service contract, including
>the print head! Only £45 here in UK from www.cameras2u.com
>
>Thanks Art for all your help, and your comments too Hecate. I hoep I've
>done the right thing but after comparing prints with some HP and Canons
>+ returns from 2 photo labs all of the same prints I still liked the
>1290 best! I just hope this one lasts longer - my wife thinks I'm mad!

LOL! Good luck :)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

The 1290 is a good printer, with that one little defect ;-(

I wish Epson took a more proactive stand on resolving the problem with
the heads in those printers. I'm sure in the big picture it isn't a
massive percentage, but it is definitely the printer group I hear most
often exhibiting that problem (1270, 1280, 1290, 870, 890).

I think you should contact Epson and let them know you think they should
offer you a trade in, because the inkhead failed prematurely. Normally,
their printheads are good for many, many prints and years of use.

Good luck with your new printer. The warranty, in this case, probably
makes sense. For most printers, it probably shouldn't be necessary.

!