Sign in with
Your question

Broke off a CPU pin! help!

Last response: in CPUs
April 22, 2006 12:21:46 AM

Hey, accidently broke off a CPU pin when installing a new motherboard. I have heard the processor may work depending on how important the pin is. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 754. Where can I find out if the pin I broke is important and how can I tell what the pin is called?

More about : broke cpu pin

April 22, 2006 1:45:26 AM

Every pin on the processor is important would be my guess. What the hell did you to a processor to break a pin!?!? This is where Intel's pin-less design would be kind of nice.
April 22, 2006 2:29:51 AM

Quote:
Hey, accidently broke off a CPU pin when installing a new motherboard. I have heard the processor may work depending on how important the pin is. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 754. Where can I find out if the pin I broke is important and how can I tell what the pin is called?

I found a link on the DFI forums about a shop that replaces the broken pin(s) for about $30 USD.

That was in the past 3 weeks or so and you will need to look for it.
Try search for "cpu pins" or the like.

He also does MB repairs and replaces ALL of the caps for about $60.
Related resources
April 22, 2006 2:40:18 AM

Quote:

Refer to This document, note that the diagrams I will describe below are in reference to the socket.

Locate the broken pin using Figures 4 & 5 found in the 4th chapter (P. 31 & 32, respectively the left and right side of the socket), then refer to Table 5 found in the 6th chapter (P. 44 - 51) to identify the pins.

Good luck !
April 22, 2006 3:09:06 AM

To everyone who reads this and upgrades a processor or builds a system from scratch "Break not thy pins from ye processor" I think thats like commandment 8 from the tech hand book LOL Anyway good luck with fixing that... or anyone else for that matter :(  Now I know why I sweat so much when ever im doing CPU stuff... knock on wood this has never happened to me !
April 22, 2006 3:23:19 AM

Quote:
To everyone who reads this and upgrades a processor or builds a system from scratch "Break not thy pins from ye processor" I think thats like commandment 8 from the tech hand book LOL Anyway good luck with fixing that... or anyone else for that matter :(  Now I know why I sweat so much when ever im doing CPU stuff... knock on wood this has never happened to me !

This tends to happen often when AS has been on along time and people try to lift the HS right upwards.

The proper way to remove a HS is to twist it 1-2 degre left and right untill the TIM bond is broken.
April 22, 2006 4:15:32 AM

Quote:
MadModMike and I discussed a month a month ago that not all CPU pins are used. Infact, quite a few aren't used on most processors. Not saying you shouldn't replace the pin, I'm just speaking matter-of-factly. Anyway moving on, I hope everything turn out well. There was someone else here on the Forumz that broke PINS, not pin, and it I think she got it fixed; don't know for certain, haven't been to that particular thread in quite some time.
April 22, 2006 4:20:44 AM

Quote:

Never happened to me either, I'd just feel bad knowing that somehow the CPU is not going to truely work at 100% capacity. :( 
April 22, 2006 5:26:48 AM

Quote:

Never happened to me either, I'd just feel bad knowing that somehow the CPU is not going to truely work at 100% capacity. :( 

Thats what I would worry about I mean at the speeds these things operate at. These days they do ALOT of work to make sure resistance is just so and trace lengths are just the right length. Its not that im saying a mini weld would not work, I just fear it would not work as well as it should... Definatly no OCing or at least im sure it would cut down on the potential hmmm maybe even system crashes at stock speed, who knows !
April 22, 2006 5:39:22 AM

Quote:
Every pin on the processor is important would be my guess. What the hell did you to a processor to break a pin!?!? This is where Intel's pin-less design would be kind of nice.

Not every pin is entirely important. :wink: I purposely broke off a pin on my Northwood Celeron 2.0 GHz. Best damn thing I've ever done to it. 8)
April 22, 2006 7:00:54 AM

You broke a pin off on purpose ? hmmm some sort of mod I dont know about ? tell me more I am using a northwood right now 2.4@3.4 so if it would let me OC more let me know :) 
April 22, 2006 7:31:58 AM

If you're already at 3.4, it won't help you. :cry:  I removed one of the BSEL pins to trick mobos that had limited overclocking options into thinking the cpu was a 2.66 GHz, 533 fsb unit. That opened up the overclocking options from 134 MHz to 166 MHz. In the end I was abe to run it at 3.0 GHz on the 150 fsb (600 MHz quad pumped).

That's one sweet o'c you have there btw.
April 22, 2006 7:45:25 AM

Ahh, it reminds me of the good old days when I overclocked my Pentium III 333 (66Mhz bus speed) to 400 (@ 100Mhz bus speed) by taping over a pin (on the cartridge design).

Since it was running at 4*100 rather than 5*66 it ran cooer overclocked!
May 29, 2006 7:14:41 AM

Hi there,

a little bit late to reply, but better than nth.

URL 1

URL 2

Those website is from china and Hong Kong, but I think it is useful.

Ignore those chinese, see the pictures.

Hope it can help.
May 29, 2006 10:59:32 AM

Quote:
Hi there,

a little bit late to reply, but better than nth.

URL 1

URL 2

Those website is from china and Hong Kong, but I think it is useful.

Ignore those chinese, see the pictures.

Hope it can help.

A budding Necromancer, how cute !
May 29, 2006 10:06:55 PM

thanks for your help, but i just don't have good enough hands to fix this stuff. the retailer i bought it from did replace the mobo that was defective tho so at least i got that. I had to downgrade to a 3000+ cuz i couldn't find any 754 3200+'s. i'll be upgrading to conroe most likely next year anyway so i can survive. thanks for your help.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2006 2:56:00 AM

Quote:

Not every pin is important as many of the pins are redundant. And pin-less sux, I'm having to tell all these home builders who bring their systems in why they aren't working...bent contacts in the 775 socket.
June 2, 2006 3:25:01 AM

Is Socket 775 that fragile or are those PiBCaKs ?
June 2, 2006 4:09:34 AM

yeah the pins on the socket, are very soft. go to a fry's electronics (if there is one close) and look at the intel 775 socket mobo's on display you can see where people have put their fingers.
June 2, 2006 4:35:05 AM

I would just solder it myself... and see what happens.
But i take a lot of unnecesary risks.
June 2, 2006 4:55:40 AM

Well ive had the 775 for like a year and a half now put about 3 diff cpu's in it and no problems so far. as long as you go straight down and dont twis the ship there is no way to harm it. And as for the pin thing it really depends on what pin broke I had a 2.5 P4 that broke a pin never worked again. But then i had a celey that broke like three pins and I bent another one putting it in fixed the bent one put it in and fired right up. But all I can say is try it and find out if it still works. No harm in trying right.?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2006 5:49:37 AM

I don't know exactly how these guys damage sockets. The last one I tested had a tiny glob of heatsink paste spattered on the bottom, I have no idea how he did it, but the socket was damaged and the board wouldn't function properly.

I've already killed a socket, after installing/removing the CPU around 8 times and installing/removing various coolers around twice as many times. I think the pins lost their tension from being flexed every time the cooler pushed the CPU down to its limit.
June 2, 2006 6:20:15 AM

How on Gods green Earth can you break a cpu pin without intentionally doing it?????? I've installed thousands of cpu's of all varieties, I have a stack of intel chips sitting on a desk, it falls over regularly, and I still use them all to test, sure some have bent a little, but never has one broken off. My son (3) even got ahold of a couple p4's (478's) and didn't break them, and he was setting them on matchbox cars driving them around the kitchen floor!!! Had to bend some of those pins back though :) 

And you should NEVER twist a cpu, take a very small flat head screwdriver and gently pry one corner of the heatsink at a time until it pops off the cpu. The torque on the cpu if you twist the heatsink is very high, that's just stupid.

On the subject of 775's, I've dropped cpu's into the sockets and never bent a pin.

I consider myself very rough with cpu's, this is just crazy!
June 2, 2006 7:09:07 AM

That would work two, the screwdriver works fine as long as the flat part doesn't taper too quickly so you have the full width on both the heatsink and cpu.
June 13, 2006 1:12:50 PM

ok, so up until now, i have never damaged a cpu.

I am troubleshooting a rebooting pc. I suspect motherboard, as it's Asrock, so as a last measure, i try a different CPU.

Seeing that the other CPU doesn't work and the PC still reboots, I decide to stick in it's own CPU. (celeron 2.4)

As I get close to the socket, the CPU sortof drops, falling 1 centimeter, and I see that it fell perfectly into the socket. no hesitation, i push down on it and fasten the clip.

heatsink and fan on, pc gets power, but nothing.
reboot a few times. nothing

When I check the CPU, I realize 2 pins have been completely flattened.
Dont ask.....

in the process of trying to straighten the pins, they both break off.
i mean, they were completely flat.

So, I decide to get a replacement for the pin.

CAT5 cable, a tight fit, but does the job perfectly.

cut a short piece of copper cable, and insert into socket where pin is missing. the same length as the pin.

dont't insert it all the way, leave it out by a mm.

insert the cpu and push down on it, making sure the cpu pushes the wire down. making contact.

I just turned on the PC, and whala!!!!!
it booted fine into windows first time!!!!!

The Pc still reboots, but i mean, at least it works again.
now the lady will just have to make do...
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2006 1:43:54 PM

Quote:

Money aside, just buy a new one or an OEM off newegg, monarch, or ebay...seems alot easier than trying to repair it...unless you want that for bragging rites...
June 13, 2006 2:08:33 PM

I agree about the socket -- Intel advises that the 775 CPU shouldnt be removed more than ?12? or ?20? times (cant remember, sorry)
June 13, 2006 2:14:41 PM

Quote:
I agree about the socket -- Intel advises that the 775 CPU shouldnt be removed more than ?12? or ?20? times (cant remember, sorry)

June 13, 2006 3:04:48 PM

Quote:

Don't even bend them, lol, they are a pain in the butt to bend back into place. I was able to do it once but it took me at least an hour or two.
January 25, 2008 8:18:32 PM

I did the same thing. Pin B29 broke off my Athlon 64 754 CPU. It is really quite easy to do with the lousy HS/FAN mounting bracket design on the MSI K8N NEO MB. There is simply no way to get between the HS and CPU (the plastic mounting bracket shroud is too deep). I couldn't even get dental floss down under the HS because of the mounting bracket.

And for those who claim they can twist the HS (1 or 2 degrees) until the TIM separates I say, well maybe you can but I can't (perhaps I didn't spend a sufficient number of hours trying). The only way I've been able to get the CPU extricated from its tomb was to pull straight up as best I could on the HS/FAN assembly--and that invariably bends, if not breaks, one or more pins when the FAN, HS, and CPU all come out together. I know this is not the right way to do it, but it is the only way I've been able to get an Athlon 754 CPU out of one of those crappy cradle mounting brackets--such as on an MSI K8N NEO MB.
January 25, 2008 8:41:58 PM

good thing that cpu is worth like $19.99 i say.... time to move on to a modern setup...and take care.
January 25, 2008 9:03:54 PM

how did you break a pin? it just drops right into the socket. If you have to push it in then you have it in backwards. It just just drops in there. I doubt if the mobo was at fault.
January 25, 2008 9:04:39 PM

how did you break a pin? it just drops right into the socket. If you have to push it in then you have it in backwards. It just just drops in there. I doubt if the mobo was at fault.
January 25, 2008 9:09:18 PM

Zoness said:

It is possible that the broken pin was a downward throttling pin. If that is the case, the CPU may get a 5-10% increase in performance.
January 25, 2008 9:24:54 PM

If if it works at all
January 25, 2008 9:34:04 PM

Wow.

Talking about beating an old post.

Why would you rez an almost 2 year old post? :) 
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2008 9:39:30 PM

WOW 2 years old?????

I have a 477 pin Celeron D. So not all pins are important :D  . Thank god for pin mods esp. BSEL and voltage.
!