Building driver Information Database - stop responding

I seem to have got Windows 98 SE2 into a situation whereby if the prompt
"Building driver Information database" appears, the progress bar reaches
about 40% - 45% and then it goes into a Not Responding state. Then the only
to clear it is to Ctrl-Alt-Del and remove the Task.

My problem started when I tried to add software for a Fuji Digital Camera
onto a USB Port. I have a Printer and Modem already connected, successfully,
I was merely trying to share the USB Printer Port.

OEMXXX.inf files

Ever heard of Norton System Doctor shooting its users in both feet? If not
and using or having used System Doctor read on, if not ignore the rest of
this post.

Check your windows\inf folder (a hidden system folder and you will have to
enable the viewing of such files and folders in Explorer (Tools | Folder
Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide
protected operating system files") and look for large numbers of oem*.inf
files that are all 0 bytes in size. If you've got thousands of such files
this is the cause of your problem as you're probably at the limit of the
number of entries that can be entered in a FAT folder and therefore cannot
add
any inf file associated with the update.

Why has this happened? Did you perhaps forget to disable System Doctor
before
updating your system from the Windows Update site? If you don't delete
these
files some software and most hardware and driver installs will take a very
long time to complete if they complete at all.

For more details see the Symantec site:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n
and also MS KB Q281967 - "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup,
Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware"
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281967). I would
strongly recommend that you contact Microsoft and mention Q281967 and also
Q301540 and ask for a copy of the new ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.3003. You will then
either be sent the file or told how and where to download a copy. There
should be no charge for this call other than for the cost of the phone call.
--
Mike Maltby 9/01/2002
------

In Memorium: Alex Nichol