Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

System has been updated to SP2.

If a repair install is required can it be done successfully using the XP CD
without messing with SP2 or will everything revert back?

I'm asking because I think that is going to be a major issue with some folks
doing motherboard, etc upgrades and the answer not readily apparent.

Jerry

map

"Jerry" wrote:

> System has been updated to SP2.
>
> If a repair install is required can it be done successfully using the XP CD
> without messing with SP2 or will everything revert back?
>
> I'm asking because I think that is going to be a major issue with some folks
> doing motherboard, etc upgrades and the answer not readily apparent.
>
> Jerry

You need to create a new (slipstreamed) XP disk.
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337&st=0&#entry2453585

Jerry,

A repair install using the base XP CD will revert everything back (the added
updates, Service Packs etc). To prevent that, you can slipstream the SP2
with Windows XP and then create a integrated XP SP2 CD. Slipstreaming SP2 is
discussed here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262. I used
Autostreamer, which took ~30 min to copy/integrate the files/create the ISO.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

System has been updated to SP2.

If a repair install is required can it be done successfully using the XP CD
without messing with SP2 or will everything revert back?

I'm asking because I think that is going to be a major issue with some folks
doing motherboard, etc upgrades and the answer not readily apparent.

Jerry

peter

I Just used my "Autostreamer" created CD to do a clean install - I couldn't
believe how quick it was to install! The longest part was reformatting the
HD.
> Jerry,
>
> A repair install using the base XP CD will revert everything back (the
> added
> updates, Service Packs etc). To prevent that, you can slipstream the SP2
> with Windows XP and then create a integrated XP SP2 CD. Slipstreaming SP2
> is
> discussed here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262. I used
> Autostreamer, which took ~30 min to copy/integrate the files/create the
> ISO.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
> System has been updated to SP2.
>
> If a repair install is required can it be done successfully using the XP
> CD
> without messing with SP2 or will everything revert back?
>
> I'm asking because I think that is going to be a major issue with some
> folks
> doing motherboard, etc upgrades and the answer not readily apparent.
>
> Jerry

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have no way to create a slipstream disk. (Some of us do not have nor want
CD burners.)

"MAP" <MAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> System has been updated to SP2.
>>
>> If a repair install is required can it be done successfully using the XP
>> CD
>> without messing with SP2 or will everything revert back?
>>
>> I'm asking because I think that is going to be a major issue with some
>> folks
>> doing motherboard, etc upgrades and the answer not readily apparent.
>>
>> Jerry
>>

> You need to create a new (slipstreamed) XP disk.
> http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337&st=0&#entry2453585

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Slipstream requires a user to have a CD burner and I do not have one nor do
I want one. I have no possible use for one and don't mention the ability to
slipstream, that is not enough justification.

> Jerry,
>
> A repair install using the base XP CD will revert everything back (the
> added
> updates, Service Packs etc). To prevent that, you can slipstream the SP2
> with Windows XP and then create a integrated XP SP2 CD. Slipstreaming SP2
> is
> discussed here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262. I used
> Autostreamer, which took ~30 min to copy/integrate the files/create the
> ISO.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
> System has been updated to SP2.
>
> If a repair install is required can it be done successfully using the XP
> CD
> without messing with SP2 or will everything revert back?
>
> I'm asking because I think that is going to be a major issue with some
> folks
> doing motherboard, etc upgrades and the answer not readily apparent.
>
> Jerry

Jerry, the question you originally asked was valid for the vast majority of
users.
The answer (and links) received are extremely valuable to the vast majority
of users.
Thank you for posting the question.
What a pity your final post did not reflect the thanks of the vast majority
of users, who
will benefit from Ramesh's advice and guidance.
I'll rectify your omission. THANKS, RAMESH !! Very helpful. I've passed on
the info to a couple of friends who I know will appreciate it, esp as one is
installing a new mb/processor in the very near future!
Len

> Slipstream requires a user to have a CD burner and I do not have one nor
> do I want one. I have no possible use for one and don't mention the
> ability to slipstream, that is not enough justification.
>
> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Jerry,
>>
>> A repair install using the base XP CD will revert everything back (the
>> added
>> updates, Service Packs etc). To prevent that, you can slipstream the SP2
>> with Windows XP and then create a integrated XP SP2 CD. Slipstreaming SP2
>> is
>> discussed here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262. I used
>> Autostreamer, which took ~30 min to copy/integrate the files/create the
>> ISO.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>>

>> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> System has been updated to SP2.
>>
>> If a repair install is required can it be done successfully using the XP
>> CD
>> without messing with SP2 or will everything revert back?
>>
>> I'm asking because I think that is going to be a major issue with some
>> folks
>> doing motherboard, etc upgrades and the answer not readily apparent.
>>
>> Jerry

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Whether or not I decide to thank anyone is none of your business.

"Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> Jerry, the question you originally asked was valid for the vast majority
> of users.
> The answer (and links) received are extremely valuable to the vast
> majority of users.
> Thank you for posting the question.
> What a pity your final post did not reflect the thanks of the vast
> majority of users, who
> will benefit from Ramesh's advice and guidance.
> I'll rectify your omission. THANKS, RAMESH !! Very helpful. I've passed on
> the info to a couple of friends who I know will appreciate it, esp as one
> is installing a new mb/processor in the very near future!
> Len
>
> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> Slipstream requires a user to have a CD burner and I do not have one nor
>> do I want one. I have no possible use for one and don't mention the
>> ability to slipstream, that is not enough justification.
>>
>> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Jerry,
>>>
>>> A repair install using the base XP CD will revert everything back (the
>>> added
>>> updates, Service Packs etc). To prevent that, you can slipstream the SP2
>>> with Windows XP and then create a integrated XP SP2 CD. Slipstreaming
>>> SP2 is
>>> discussed here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262. I used
>>> Autostreamer, which took ~30 min to copy/integrate the files/create the
>>> ISO.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>>>

>>> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>>> System has been updated to SP2.
>>>
>>> If a repair install is required can it be done successfully using the XP
>>> CD
>>> without messing with SP2 or will everything revert back?
>>>
>>> I'm asking because I think that is going to be a major issue with some
>>> folks
>>> doing motherboard, etc upgrades and the answer not readily apparent.
>>>
>>> Jerry

You're most welcome Len. I appreciate for taking time to provide your
feedback. :)

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
Jerry, the question you originally asked was valid for the vast majority of
users.
The answer (and links) received are extremely valuable to the vast majority
of users.
Thank you for posting the question.
What a pity your final post did not reflect the thanks of the vast majority
of users, who
will benefit from Ramesh's advice and guidance.
I'll rectify your omission. THANKS, RAMESH !! Very helpful. I've passed on
the info to a couple of friends who I know will appreciate it, esp as one is
installing a new mb/processor in the very near future!
Len

> Slipstream requires a user to have a CD burner and I do not have one nor
> do I want one. I have no possible use for one and don't mention the
> ability to slipstream, that is not enough justification.
>
> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Jerry,
>>
>> A repair install using the base XP CD will revert everything back (the
>> added
>> updates, Service Packs etc). To prevent that, you can slipstream the SP2
>> with Windows XP and then create a integrated XP SP2 CD. Slipstreaming SP2
>> is
>> discussed here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262. I used
>> Autostreamer, which took ~30 min to copy/integrate the files/create the
>> ISO.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>>

>> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> System has been updated to SP2.
>>
>> If a repair install is required can it be done successfully using the XP
>> CD
>> without messing with SP2 or will everything revert back?
>>
>> I'm asking because I think that is going to be a major issue with some
>> folks
>> doing motherboard, etc upgrades and the answer not readily apparent.
>>
>> Jerry

Credit where it's due, Ramesh!
NEW problem, associated with this. D/l autostreamer, also printed off the
instruction manual (applicable to SP1).
But - WHERE is SP2 update file? I can't find it on my hdd? Is it called
something else?
Len

> You're most welcome Len. I appreciate for taking time to provide your
> feedback. :)
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> Jerry, the question you originally asked was valid for the vast majority
> of
> users.
> The answer (and links) received are extremely valuable to the vast
> majority
> of users.
> Thank you for posting the question.
> What a pity your final post did not reflect the thanks of the vast
> majority
> of users, who
> will benefit from Ramesh's advice and guidance.
> I'll rectify your omission. THANKS, RAMESH !! Very helpful. I've passed on
> the info to a couple of friends who I know will appreciate it, esp as one
> is
> installing a new mb/processor in the very near future!
> Len
>
> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> Slipstream requires a user to have a CD burner and I do not have one nor
>> do I want one. I have no possible use for one and don't mention the
>> ability to slipstream, that is not enough justification.
>>
>> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Jerry,
>>>
>>> A repair install using the base XP CD will revert everything back (the
>>> added
>>> updates, Service Packs etc). To prevent that, you can slipstream the SP2
>>> with Windows XP and then create a integrated XP SP2 CD. Slipstreaming
>>> SP2
>>> is
>>> discussed here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262. I used
>>> Autostreamer, which took ~30 min to copy/integrate the files/create the
>>> ISO.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>>>

>>> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>>> System has been updated to SP2.
>>>
>>> If a repair install is required can it be done successfully using the XP
>>> CD
>>> without messing with SP2 or will everything revert back?
>>>
>>> I'm asking because I think that is going to be a major issue with some
>>> folks
>>> doing motherboard, etc upgrades and the answer not readily apparent.
>>>
>>> Jerry

Len,

Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals and
Developers:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
(>260MB download)

Or, order the XP SP2 CD from MS, free of charge:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Credit where it's due, Ramesh!
NEW problem, associated with this. D/l autostreamer, also printed off the
instruction manual (applicable to SP1).
But - WHERE is SP2 update file? I can't find it on my hdd? Is it called
something else?
Len

> You're most welcome Len. I appreciate for taking time to provide your
> feedback. :)
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> Jerry, the question you originally asked was valid for the vast majority
> of
> users.
> The answer (and links) received are extremely valuable to the vast
> majority
> of users.
> Thank you for posting the question.
> What a pity your final post did not reflect the thanks of the vast
> majority
> of users, who
> will benefit from Ramesh's advice and guidance.
> I'll rectify your omission. THANKS, RAMESH !! Very helpful. I've passed on
> the info to a couple of friends who I know will appreciate it, esp as one
> is
> installing a new mb/processor in the very near future!
> Len
>
> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> Slipstream requires a user to have a CD burner and I do not have one nor
>> do I want one. I have no possible use for one and don't mention the
>> ability to slipstream, that is not enough justification.
>>
>> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Jerry,
>>>
>>> A repair install using the base XP CD will revert everything back (the
>>> added
>>> updates, Service Packs etc). To prevent that, you can slipstream the SP2
>>> with Windows XP and then create a integrated XP SP2 CD. Slipstreaming
>>> SP2
>>> is
>>> discussed here: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262. I used
>>> Autostreamer, which took ~30 min to copy/integrate the files/create the
>>> ISO.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>>>

>>> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>>> System has been updated to SP2.
>>>
>>> If a repair install is required can it be done successfully using the XP
>>> CD
>>> without messing with SP2 or will everything revert back?
>>>
>>> I'm asking because I think that is going to be a major issue with some
>>> folks
>>> doing motherboard, etc upgrades and the answer not readily apparent.
>>>
>>> Jerry

Ramesh, am doing the (2 hour) download now. As a back-up I've also ordered
the CD. BUT - I already downloaded and installed SP2. So why can't I find
the downloaded SP2 on my hdd? Did it delete itself in the extended tidy-up
process, after it installed?
I looked in Add/Remove programs. The option to uninstall SP2 is there, but
there is no program size (as with all the other progs listed) which seems to
indicate the answer to last question is "yes".
So, what am I to do with the exe file currently downloading?
The intention is to create a "slipstream" CD, but can/will Autostream be
able to "see" inside the exe file to get the data it needs? I'm loathe to
execute the exe file, since I don't want a double loading of SP2 .... how
did you create your slipstream disk? It's certainly not as straightforward
as with SP1, per the manual previously mentioned! ...

Finally - would you take a look at my first posting today (SP2, Catch22)
please ?
Thanks, Len

> Len,
>
> Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals and
> Developers:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
> (>260MB download)
>
> Or, order the XP SP2 CD from MS, free of charge:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> Credit where it's due, Ramesh!
> NEW problem, associated with this. D/l autostreamer, also printed off the
> instruction manual (applicable to SP1).
> But - WHERE is SP2 update file? I can't find it on my hdd? Is it called
> something else?
> Len
>

> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> You're most welcome Len. I appreciate for taking time to provide your
>> feedback. :)
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>>

>> "Len Dolby" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
>> Jerry, the question you originally asked was valid for the vast majority
>> of
>> users.
>> The answer (and links) received are extremely valuable to the vast
>> majority
>> of users.
>> Thank you for posting the question.
>> What a pity your final post did not reflect the thanks of the vast
>> majority
>> of users, who
>> will benefit from Ramesh's advice and guidance.
>> I'll rectify your omission. THANKS, RAMESH !! Very helpful. I've passed
>> on
>> the info to a couple of friends who I know will appreciate it, esp as one
>> is
>> installing a new mb/processor in the very near future!
>> Len
>>
>> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>>> Slipstream requires a user to have a CD burner and I do not have one nor
>>> do I want one. I have no possible use for one and don't mention the
>>> ability to slipstream, that is not enough justification.
>>>
>>> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message

Len,

If you've already downloaded this package (and not via AU), search for the
installer package file named "WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe" in your hard
disk. Autostreamer does not read the .exe package directly, but it extracts
them to a temporary folder (perhaps using the command-line /integrate).
Just automates the entire task, that's it.

How to integrate software updates into your Windows installation source
files
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828930 [/integrate switch]

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD