Downloading Win 98 Updates!!

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 17, 2005 10:09:02 AM

I downloaded updates for Win 98 just a couple of days ago. When I was asked
to restart my computer, it has frozen ever since. It starts to reboot and
then a load of error messages appear. I cannot get my PC to do anything.

Is there any way of getting it sorted without having to format and re -
install everything? Surely this shouldn't happen when downloading Windows
updates to a PC that was working properly up until then??

Please help??
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 10:45:19 AM

Hold down the Ctrl key as your system goes through startup sequences (or
repeatedly press it if you get Stuck Key error.) You want to get the
Startup Menu to come up. Try to boot to Safe Mode. If you can get there,
go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall KB891711.
Then use Find>Files & Folders to locate any files or folders with
KB891711 in the name and delete those.

Then restart and see if it will boot properly. No, a Windows Update
*shouldn't* cause this kind of problem, but the one mentioned above is
doing just that for a lot of people.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Anto" <Anto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I downloaded updates for Win 98 just a couple of days ago. When I was
asked
> to restart my computer, it has frozen ever since. It starts to reboot
and
> then a load of error messages appear. I cannot get my PC to do
anything.

> Is there any way of getting it sorted without having to format and
re -
> install everything? Surely this shouldn't happen when downloading
Windows
> updates to a PC that was working properly up until then??
>
> Please help??
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:49:08 AM

Reboot into the safe mode. It if start there, then you have some startup
file causing the problem.
On possible problem is a MS update identified as KB891711.
In the safe mode, go to START - RUN and type in MSCONFIG.
Look through the Start-Up tab. If you find KB891711, uncheck it and reboot.
If that does not fix the problem, but you can run in safe mode, you have to
find which of the start up programs is causing the problem and uncheck them
one-at-time until you can do a normal start. This is tedious work, but
necessary.

"Anto" <Anto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded updates for Win 98 just a couple of days ago. When I was asked
> to restart my computer, it has frozen ever since. It starts to reboot and
> then a load of error messages appear. I cannot get my PC to do anything.
>
> Is there any way of getting it sorted without having to format and re -
> install everything? Surely this shouldn't happen when downloading Windows
> updates to a PC that was working properly up until then??
>
> Please help??
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 3:20:09 PM

Hello Gary

Interesting because this morning I had just noticed at KB891711 was running
on my Gateway Win98se laptop and was doing some research on it (At first I
was worried that it was some kind of spyware.) It does NOT seem to be
causing any problems on my machine. So I'm assuming that we all should keep
it unless it acts up. Are you MVP folks recommending something else?

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.
news:o OPlNhwKFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hold down the Ctrl key as your system goes through startup sequences (or
> repeatedly press it if you get Stuck Key error.) You want to get the
> Startup Menu to come up. Try to boot to Safe Mode. If you can get there,
> go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall KB891711.
> Then use Find>Files & Folders to locate any files or folders with
> KB891711 in the name and delete those.
>
> Then restart and see if it will boot properly. No, a Windows Update
> *shouldn't* cause this kind of problem, but the one mentioned above is
> doing just that for a lot of people.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
March 17, 2005 3:20:10 PM

Recommending that people with problems uninstall it. Otherwise, leave it
in place.

You could also do us a favor and report the basics of your system as
suggested by Glee:

"Post back with as much detailed info as you can about your
computer....processor
type and speed, BIOS version, motherboard chipset, display adapter type,
and so
forth."

To that, I would add: What you use for firewall and/or antivirus, who
your ISP is, and whether you have installed software from the ISP.If on
broadband or any other network, what hardware and software?.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>
wrote in message news:%235R$ZWxKFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hello Gary
>
> Interesting because this morning I had just noticed at KB891711 was
running
> on my Gateway Win98se laptop and was doing some research on it (At
first I
> was worried that it was some kind of spyware.) It does NOT seem to be
> causing any problems on my machine. So I'm assuming that we all should
keep
> it unless it acts up. Are you MVP folks recommending something else?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni
>
> The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by
posting back
> to the newsgroup.
> news:o OPlNhwKFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Hold down the Ctrl key as your system goes through startup sequences
(or
> > repeatedly press it if you get Stuck Key error.) You want to get the
> > Startup Menu to come up. Try to boot to Safe Mode. If you can get
there,
> > go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall
KB891711.
> > Then use Find>Files & Folders to locate any files or folders with
> > KB891711 in the name and delete those.
> >
> > Then restart and see if it will boot properly. No, a Windows Update
> > *shouldn't* cause this kind of problem, but the one mentioned above
is
> > doing just that for a lot of people.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User

March 17, 2005 5:13:27 PM

Thanks Gary

Below are the specs (From Everest - formerlly Aida32) on my machine which,
again, is NOT having any problems handling that update. I'm running AVG
7 free edition and using ATT.net. No firewire or network.

I hope this is what you want. I don't see the other post (Glee? Glen?) you
are referring to.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003, 2004 Lavalys,
Inc. ]-----------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v1.51.195
Homepage
http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer COMPUTER (Gateway PC)
Generator Anthony Giorgianni
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
SE 4.10.2222B (Win98 SE)
Date 2005-03-17
Time 14:05

--------[
Summary ]-------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
SE
OS Service Pack -
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE
6.0 SP1)
DirectX 4.09.00.0902
(DirectX 9.0b)
Computer Name COMPUTER (Gateway
PC)
User Name Anthony Giorgianni

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium
IIIE, 600 MHz (6 x 100)
Motherboard Name Gateway Solo 9300
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX/ZX
System Memory 352 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (04/17/00)
Communication Port Communications Port
(COM1)
Communication Port Virtual Infrared COM
Port
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)
Communication Port Virtual Infrared LPT
Port

Display:
Video Adapter RAGE MOBILITY-P AGP
(English)
3D Accelerator ATI Rage P/M
Mobility
Monitor Laptop Display Panel
(1024x768)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter ESS Technology
ES1970 Canyon3D / ES1978 Maestro-2E Sound Card

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PCI
Bus Master IDE Controller
IDE Controller Primary IDE
controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller Secondary IDE
controller (dual fifo)
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK
TYPE40
Disk Drive MATSHITA LS-120
SLIM4 00
Optical Drive TORiSAN DVD-ROM
DRD-U624 (6x/24x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status FAIL

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 11496 MB (4149 MB
free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key
or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse Synaptics PS/2 Port
Pointing Device

Network:
Network Adapter PPP Adapter.
(12.76.143.181)
Modem MINI PCI type 3B
Data Fax Modem by 3Com
Modem Parallel cable on
LPT1
Modem Parallel cable on
LPT3
Modem Serial cable on COM1
Modem Serial cable on COM4

Peripherals:
Printer CutePDF Writer
Printer Dummy Printer
Printer HP DeskJet 1120C
Printer
Printer WinFax
USB1 Controller Intel 82371AB/EB
PIIX4 - USB Host Controller

> Recommending that people with problems uninstall it. Otherwise, leave it
> in place.
>
> You could also do us a favor and report the basics of your system as
> suggested by Glee:
>
> "Post back with as much detailed info as you can about your
> computer....processor
> type and speed, BIOS version, motherboard chipset, display adapter type,
> and so
> forth."
>
> To that, I would add: What you use for firewall and/or antivirus, who
> your ISP is, and whether you have installed software from the ISP.If on
> broadband or any other network, what hardware and software?.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>
> wrote in message news:%235R$ZWxKFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 5:21:48 PM

Oh, and yes, I've installed my ISP's dialup software. I also have tons of
pay and freeware titles, and lots of stuff running in the background,
including GoBack, if that's any help. Office 2000 and every critical Win98se
update. Everything seems to run
fine, even with KB891711.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 10:49:02 PM

All hail the wise and virtuous MVP's

Details (from memory)

Downloaded and installed a bunch of updates (6 -8?) last Tuesday. Didn't
reboot then. Rebooted tonight with repeated BSOD, some complaints about
Norton couldn't load could be seen between the BSOD's.

WIN98SE
Gateway GP6-400
198 MB memory
Norton AV and firewall