Downloading Win 98 Updates!!

I downloaded updates for Win 98 just a couple of days ago. When I was asked
to restart my computer, it has frozen ever since. It starts to reboot and
then a load of error messages appear. I cannot get my PC to do anything.

Is there any way of getting it sorted without having to format and re -
install everything? Surely this shouldn't happen when downloading Windows
updates to a PC that was working properly up until then??

Please help??
7 answers Last reply
More about downloading updates

    Hold down the Ctrl key as your system goes through startup sequences (or
    repeatedly press it if you get Stuck Key error.) You want to get the
    Startup Menu to come up. Try to boot to Safe Mode. If you can get there,
    go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall KB891711.
    Then use Find>Files & Folders to locate any files or folders with
    KB891711 in the name and delete those.

    Then restart and see if it will boot properly. No, a Windows Update
    *shouldn't* cause this kind of problem, but the one mentioned above is
    doing just that for a lot of people.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Anto" <Anto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I downloaded updates for Win 98 just a couple of days ago. When I was
    asked
    > to restart my computer, it has frozen ever since. It starts to reboot
    and
    > then a load of error messages appear. I cannot get my PC to do
    anything.

    > Is there any way of getting it sorted without having to format and
    re -
    > install everything? Surely this shouldn't happen when downloading
    Windows
    > updates to a PC that was working properly up until then??
    >
    > Please help??

    Reboot into the safe mode. It if start there, then you have some startup
    file causing the problem.
    On possible problem is a MS update identified as KB891711.
    In the safe mode, go to START - RUN and type in MSCONFIG.
    Look through the Start-Up tab. If you find KB891711, uncheck it and reboot.
    If that does not fix the problem, but you can run in safe mode, you have to
    find which of the start up programs is causing the problem and uncheck them
    one-at-time until you can do a normal start. This is tedious work, but
    necessary.

    "Anto" <Anto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I downloaded updates for Win 98 just a couple of days ago. When I was asked
    > to restart my computer, it has frozen ever since. It starts to reboot and
    > then a load of error messages appear. I cannot get my PC to do anything.
    >
    > Is there any way of getting it sorted without having to format and re -
    > install everything? Surely this shouldn't happen when downloading Windows
    > updates to a PC that was working properly up until then??
    >
    > Please help??

    Hello Gary

    Interesting because this morning I had just noticed at KB891711 was running
    on my Gateway Win98se laptop and was doing some research on it (At first I
    was worried that it was some kind of spyware.) It does NOT seem to be
    causing any problems on my machine. So I'm assuming that we all should keep
    it unless it acts up. Are you MVP folks recommending something else?

    Thanks.

    --
    Regards,
    Anthony Giorgianni

    The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
    to the newsgroup.
    > Hold down the Ctrl key as your system goes through startup sequences (or
    > repeatedly press it if you get Stuck Key error.) You want to get the
    > Startup Menu to come up. Try to boot to Safe Mode. If you can get there,
    > go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall KB891711.
    > Then use Find>Files & Folders to locate any files or folders with
    > KB891711 in the name and delete those.
    >
    > Then restart and see if it will boot properly. No, a Windows Update
    > *shouldn't* cause this kind of problem, but the one mentioned above is
    > doing just that for a lot of people.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User

    Recommending that people with problems uninstall it. Otherwise, leave it
    in place.

    You could also do us a favor and report the basics of your system as
    suggested by Glee:

    "Post back with as much detailed info as you can about your
    computer....processor
    type and speed, BIOS version, motherboard chipset, display adapter type,
    and so
    forth."

    To that, I would add: What you use for firewall and/or antivirus, who
    your ISP is, and whether you have installed software from the ISP.If on
    broadband or any other network, what hardware and software?.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>
    wrote in message news:%235R$ZWxKFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hello Gary
    >
    > Interesting because this morning I had just noticed at KB891711 was
    running
    > on my Gateway Win98se laptop and was doing some research on it (At
    first I
    > was worried that it was some kind of spyware.) It does NOT seem to be
    > causing any problems on my machine. So I'm assuming that we all should
    keep
    > it unless it acts up. Are you MVP folks recommending something else?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Anthony Giorgianni
    >
    > The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by
    posting back
    > to the newsgroup.
    > > Hold down the Ctrl key as your system goes through startup sequences
    (or
    > > repeatedly press it if you get Stuck Key error.) You want to get the
    > > Startup Menu to come up. Try to boot to Safe Mode. If you can get
    there,
    > > go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall
    KB891711.
    > > Then use Find>Files & Folders to locate any files or folders with
    > > KB891711 in the name and delete those.
    > >
    > > Then restart and see if it will boot properly. No, a Windows Update
    > > *shouldn't* cause this kind of problem, but the one mentioned above
    is
    > > doing just that for a lot of people.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User

    Thanks Gary

    Below are the specs (From Everest - formerlly Aida32) on my machine which,
    again, is NOT having any problems handling that update. I'm running AVG
    7 free edition and using ATT.net. No firewire or network.

    I hope this is what you want. I don't see the other post (Glee? Glen?) you
    are referring to.

    --
    Regards,
    Anthony Giorgianni

    The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
    to the newsgroup.

    --------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003, 2004 Lavalys,
    Inc. ]-----------------------------------------------------------

    Version EVEREST v1.51.195
    Homepage
    http://www.lavalys.com/
    Report Type Quick Report
    Computer COMPUTER (Gateway PC)
    Generator Anthony Giorgianni
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
    SE 4.10.2222B (Win98 SE)
    Date 2005-03-17
    Time 14:05

    --------[
    Summary ]-------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------

    Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
    SE
    OS Service Pack -
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE
    6.0 SP1)
    DirectX 4.09.00.0902
    (DirectX 9.0b)
    Computer Name COMPUTER (Gateway
    PC)
    User Name Anthony Giorgianni

    Motherboard:
    CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium
    IIIE, 600 MHz (6 x 100)
    Motherboard Name Gateway Solo 9300
    Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX/ZX
    System Memory 352 MB (SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Phoenix (04/17/00)
    Communication Port Communications Port
    (COM1)
    Communication Port Virtual Infrared COM
    Port
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)
    Communication Port Virtual Infrared LPT
    Port

    Display:
    Video Adapter RAGE MOBILITY-P AGP
    (English)
    3D Accelerator ATI Rage P/M
    Mobility
    Monitor Laptop Display Panel
    (1024x768)

    Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter ESS Technology
    ES1970 Canyon3D / ES1978 Maestro-2E Sound Card

    Storage:
    IDE Controller Intel 82371AB/EB PCI
    Bus Master IDE Controller
    IDE Controller Primary IDE
    controller (dual fifo)
    IDE Controller Secondary IDE
    controller (dual fifo)
    Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK
    TYPE40
    Disk Drive MATSHITA LS-120
    SLIM4 00
    Optical Drive TORiSAN DVD-ROM
    DRD-U624 (6x/24x DVD-ROM)
    SMART Hard Disks Status FAIL

    Partitions:
    C: (FAT32) 11496 MB (4149 MB
    free)

    Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key
    or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    Mouse Synaptics PS/2 Port
    Pointing Device

    Network:
    Network Adapter PPP Adapter.
    (12.76.143.181)
    Modem MINI PCI type 3B
    Data Fax Modem by 3Com
    Modem Parallel cable on
    LPT1
    Modem Parallel cable on
    LPT3
    Modem Serial cable on COM1
    Modem Serial cable on COM4

    Peripherals:
    Printer CutePDF Writer
    Printer Dummy Printer
    Printer HP DeskJet 1120C
    Printer
    Printer WinFax
    USB1 Controller Intel 82371AB/EB
    PIIX4 - USB Host Controller

    > Recommending that people with problems uninstall it. Otherwise, leave it
    > in place.
    >
    > You could also do us a favor and report the basics of your system as
    > suggested by Glee:
    >
    > "Post back with as much detailed info as you can about your
    > computer....processor
    > type and speed, BIOS version, motherboard chipset, display adapter type,
    > and so
    > forth."
    >
    > To that, I would add: What you use for firewall and/or antivirus, who
    > your ISP is, and whether you have installed software from the ISP.If on
    > broadband or any other network, what hardware and software?.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>
    > wrote in message news:%235R$ZWxKFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

    Oh, and yes, I've installed my ISP's dialup software. I also have tons of
    pay and freeware titles, and lots of stuff running in the background,
    including GoBack, if that's any help. Office 2000 and every critical Win98se
    update. Everything seems to run
    fine, even with KB891711.

    --
    Regards,
    Anthony Giorgianni

    The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
    to the newsgroup.

    All hail the wise and virtuous MVP's

    Details (from memory)

    Downloaded and installed a bunch of updates (6 -8?) last Tuesday. Didn't
    reboot then. Rebooted tonight with repeated BSOD, some complaints about
    Norton couldn't load could be seen between the BSOD's.

    WIN98SE
    Gateway GP6-400
    198 MB memory
    Norton AV and firewall