e-mail returned

can anyone help me with this problem that I keep getting only from different
people..
The first one is from...

Postmaster@mfcpa.com this is a automatic delivery status notification
failed...Horton@mfcpa.com

Also this one...Mail-daemon@fo2.seresc.net jay@riversong.com

there is a lot more with the second one but what I want to know is why they
sent it to me.I never wrote to anyone from that address or no anyone I have
been getting these quite often. also I don't bounce any mail so it was not
that way. I hope someone can put some light on this for me.

thank-you
Kathy
4 answers Last reply
More about mail returned

    Your email address is on one or more mailing lists that are being used
    for automated SPAM distributors and/or automated virus spreading apps.
    Nothing you can do about it other than change your email addy, and even
    then, it's not a great bet, particularly if you're on a widely used
    domain.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    katie wrote:

    > can anyone help me with this problem that I keep getting only from different
    > people..
    > The first one is from...
    >
    > Postmaster@mfcpa.com this is a automatic delivery status notification
    > failed...Horton@mfcpa.com
    >
    > Also this one...Mail-daemon@fo2.seresc.net jay@riversong.com
    >
    > there is a lot more with the second one but what I want to know is why they
    > sent it to me.I never wrote to anyone from that address or no anyone I have
    > been getting these quite often. also I don't bounce any mail so it was not
    > that way. I hope someone can put some light on this for me.
    >
    > thank-you
    > Kathy

    DANGER!!!!

    Fake returned mail notices are a COMMON vehicle for software you DON"T WANT!

    Particularly dangerous are the attachments that supposedly contain
    "your" returned message. I always examine such attachments with Outlook
    Express's "View Source" function to make sure they are genuine.

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:38:47 GMT, "katie" <nospam@atnospam.com> wrote:

    >can anyone help me with this problem that I keep getting only from different
    >people..
    > The first one is from...
    >
    >Postmaster@mfcpa.com this is a automatic delivery status notification
    >failed...Horton@mfcpa.com
    >
    >Also this one...Mail-daemon@fo2.seresc.net jay@riversong.com
    >
    >there is a lot more with the second one but what I want to know is why they
    >sent it to me.I never wrote to anyone from that address or no anyone I have
    >been getting these quite often. also I don't bounce any mail so it was not
    >that way. I hope someone can put some light on this for me.

    You may be getting bombed by Internet Worm Netsky or similar. See:

    http://www.grisoft.com/virbase/virbase.php?qvirus_name=netsky&action=search&lng=us&type=web

    Scroll down to the description of I-Worm/Netsky.V.

    If you're curious and the e-mails contain a file (payload) and you
    have installed or install AVG7 or Avast or other antivirus with e-mail
    scanning you can find out which worm is bombing you. My experience has
    been that sometimes the e-mails don't contain a payload, for whatever
    reason, so there's no easy way to know which worm it is.

    Be patient, keep deleting them, eventually they'll stop. You might
    speed up the stopping by e-mailing all correspondents and asking that
    they scan with an AV program (or two). While you're at it, asking
    everyone to use BCC instead of CC may help you avoid getting bombed by
    these pests in the future.

    --
    Luke

    Thank-you Gary for your help anyway at least I know now.
    Kathy
    > for automated SPAM distributors and/or automated virus spreading apps.
    > Nothing you can do about it other than change your email addy, and even
    > then, it's not a great bet, particularly if you're on a widely used
    > domain.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "katie" <nospam@atnospam.com> wrote in message
    >> can anyone help me with this problem that I keep getting only from
    > different
    >> people..
    >> The first one is from...
    >>
    >> Postmaster@mfcpa.com this is a automatic delivery status notification
    >> failed...Horton@mfcpa.com
    >>
    >> Also this one...Mail-daemon@fo2.seresc.net jay@riversong.com
    >>
    >> there is a lot more with the second one but what I want to know is why
    > they
    >> sent it to me.I never wrote to anyone from that address or no anyone I
    > have
    >> been getting these quite often. also I don't bounce any mail so it was
    > not
    >> that way. I hope someone can put some light on this for me.
    >>
    >> thank-you
    >> Kathy

Email Microsoft Windows