Firefox

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 17, 2005 5:25:38 PM

About ten days ago, I downloaded Firefox, keeping IE6 as my default browser,
but using Firefox most of the time. At first, I was enthralled by some of
Firefox's neat features, particularly tabbed browsing and the many open
source- developed extensions available. But after using it for a week or
so, I began to discover some things I didn't like about it. I found myself
having to use the "open in IE" option quite regularly as many of the things
I do are IE related and won't open in Firefox. And contrary to what I'd
heard, my machine seemed to run a bit slower with Firefox and all the
extensions I'd added.

I am aware of the touted immunity of Firefox/Mozilla to all of the security
problems of IE, but honestly, I've never had a problem with it as I
faithfully download all the fixes/patches as they become available on
Windows Update -- yes, even the infamous KB891711 didn't cause a major
problem. Also run and update all the good protective stuff recommended by
the MVPs on this board.

As for the main Firefox browsing feature -- tabbed browsing -- after using
it awhile, I found it to be just marginally advantageous for the type of
browsing I do -- typically no more than 4-5 sites active at any one time.

So, after 10 days of amusement, I have returned to my faithful IE6 comfort
zone. After uninstalling all vestiges of Firefox/Mozilla, my machine seems
to have returned to its previous speed, and with none of the surprises that
Firefox would sometimes spring on me. It was fun playing around with FF and
I can understand why the ABM crowd likes it but there were just too many
idiosyncrasies to suit me when I could do everything I needed easily and
comfortably with IE6.

I did learn one nice thing about tabbed browsing. When I get on my machine
now, I open each of those 4-5 URLs that I will be using in it's own window
so that they are lined up at the bottom of the page and are each immediately
available with a single click available Sort of a poor man's IE version of
tabbed browsing. My machine handles that many open windows with apparent
ease.

Well, I am posting this because someone -- I believe it was Dan -- asked
me to report back after using Firefox for awhile and here is that report,
FWIW.

Machine details:

P11, 300 MHz
Win98SE + all updates
IE6 SP1 + all updates
320Meg RAM
3 MHz Cable

More about : firefox

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 5:54:29 PM

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in

> About ten days ago, I downloaded Firefox, keeping IE6 as my default
> browser, but using Firefox most of the time. At first, I was enthralled
> by some of Firefox's neat features, particularly tabbed browsing and the
> many open source- developed extensions available. But after using it
> for a week or so, I began to discover some things I didn't like about
> it. I found myself having to use the "open in IE" option quite
> regularly as many of the things I do are IE related and won't open in
> Firefox. And contrary to what I'd heard, my machine seemed to run a bit
> slower with Firefox and all the extensions I'd added.
>
> I am aware of the touted immunity of Firefox/Mozilla to all of the
> security problems of IE, but honestly, I've never had a problem with it
> as I faithfully download all the fixes/patches as they become available
> on Windows Update -- yes, even the infamous KB891711 didn't cause a
> major problem. Also run and update all the good protective stuff
> recommended by the MVPs on this board.
>
> As for the main Firefox browsing feature -- tabbed browsing -- after
> using it awhile, I found it to be just marginally advantageous for the
> type of browsing I do -- typically no more than 4-5 sites active at any
> one time.
>
> So, after 10 days of amusement, I have returned to my faithful IE6
> comfort zone. After uninstalling all vestiges of Firefox/Mozilla, my
> machine seems to have returned to its previous speed, and with none of
> the surprises that Firefox would sometimes spring on me. It was fun
> playing around with FF and I can understand why the ABM crowd likes it
> but there were just too many idiosyncrasies to suit me when I could do
> everything I needed easily and comfortably with IE6.
>
> I did learn one nice thing about tabbed browsing. When I get on my
> machine now, I open each of those 4-5 URLs that I will be using in it's
> own window so that they are lined up at the bottom of the page and are
> each immediately available with a single click available Sort of a poor
> man's IE version of tabbed browsing. My machine handles that many open
> windows with apparent ease.
>
> Well, I am posting this because someone -- I believe it was Dan --
> asked me to report back after using Firefox for awhile and here is that
> report, FWIW.
>
> Machine details:
>
> P11, 300 MHz
> Win98SE + all updates
> IE6 SP1 + all updates
> 320Meg RAM
> 3 MHz Cable

These links may be of interest:

http://msmvps.com/donna/articles/19946.aspx

I personally use Avant as it to meets MY needs. If you want a nice tabbed
browser with numerous features that's highly configurable it's worth a look
(it uses IE's rendering engine):

www.avantbrowser.com
March 17, 2005 9:52:51 PM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:25:38 -0800, "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote:

>About ten days ago, I downloaded Firefox, keeping IE6 as my default browser,
>but using Firefox most of the time. At first, I was enthralled by some of
>Firefox's neat features, particularly tabbed browsing and the many open
>source- developed extensions available. But after using it for a week or
>so, I began to discover some things I didn't like about it. I found myself
>having to use the "open in IE" option quite regularly as many of the things
>I do are IE related and won't open in Firefox. And contrary to what I'd
>heard, my machine seemed to run a bit slower with Firefox and all the
>extensions I'd added.
>
>I am aware of the touted immunity of Firefox/Mozilla to all of the security
>problems of IE, but honestly, I've never had a problem with it as I
>faithfully download all the fixes/patches as they become available on
>Windows Update -- yes, even the infamous KB891711 didn't cause a major
>problem. Also run and update all the good protective stuff recommended by
>the MVPs on this board.
>
>As for the main Firefox browsing feature -- tabbed browsing -- after using
>it awhile, I found it to be just marginally advantageous for the type of
>browsing I do -- typically no more than 4-5 sites active at any one time.
>
>So, after 10 days of amusement, I have returned to my faithful IE6 comfort
>zone. After uninstalling all vestiges of Firefox/Mozilla, my machine seems
>to have returned to its previous speed, and with none of the surprises that
>Firefox would sometimes spring on me. It was fun playing around with FF and
>I can understand why the ABM crowd likes it but there were just too many
>idiosyncrasies to suit me when I could do everything I needed easily and
>comfortably with IE6.
>
>I did learn one nice thing about tabbed browsing. When I get on my machine
>now, I open each of those 4-5 URLs that I will be using in it's own window
>so that they are lined up at the bottom of the page and are each immediately
>available with a single click available Sort of a poor man's IE version of
>tabbed browsing. My machine handles that many open windows with apparent
>ease.
>
>Well, I am posting this because someone -- I believe it was Dan -- asked
>me to report back after using Firefox for awhile and here is that report,
>FWIW.
>
>Machine details:
>
>P11, 300 MHz
>Win98SE + all updates
>IE6 SP1 + all updates
>320Meg RAM
>3 MHz Cable

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks . . . . .
March 18, 2005 1:37:00 AM

"Fuzzy Logic" <bob@arc.ab.caREMOVETHIS> wrote in message
> "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in
>
> > About ten days ago, I downloaded Firefox, keeping IE6 as my default
> > browser, but using Firefox most of the time. At first, I was enthralled
> > by some of Firefox's neat features, particularly tabbed browsing and the
> > many open source- developed extensions available. But after using it
> > for a week or so, I began to discover some things I didn't like about
> > it. I found myself having to use the "open in IE" option quite
> > regularly as many of the things I do are IE related and won't open in
> > Firefox. And contrary to what I'd heard, my machine seemed to run a bit
> > slower with Firefox and all the extensions I'd added.
> >
> > I am aware of the touted immunity of Firefox/Mozilla to all of the
> > security problems of IE, but honestly, I've never had a problem with it
> > as I faithfully download all the fixes/patches as they become available
> > on Windows Update -- yes, even the infamous KB891711 didn't cause a
> > major problem. Also run and update all the good protective stuff
> > recommended by the MVPs on this board.
> >
> > As for the main Firefox browsing feature -- tabbed browsing -- after
> > using it awhile, I found it to be just marginally advantageous for the
> > type of browsing I do -- typically no more than 4-5 sites active at any
> > one time.
> >
> > So, after 10 days of amusement, I have returned to my faithful IE6
> > comfort zone. After uninstalling all vestiges of Firefox/Mozilla, my
> > machine seems to have returned to its previous speed, and with none of
> > the surprises that Firefox would sometimes spring on me. It was fun
> > playing around with FF and I can understand why the ABM crowd likes it
> > but there were just too many idiosyncrasies to suit me when I could do
> > everything I needed easily and comfortably with IE6.
> >
> > I did learn one nice thing about tabbed browsing. When I get on my
> > machine now, I open each of those 4-5 URLs that I will be using in it's
> > own window so that they are lined up at the bottom of the page and are
> > each immediately available with a single click available Sort of a poor
> > man's IE version of tabbed browsing. My machine handles that many open
> > windows with apparent ease.
> >
> > Well, I am posting this because someone -- I believe it was Dan --
> > asked me to report back after using Firefox for awhile and here is that
> > report, FWIW.
> >
> > Machine details:
> >
> > P11, 300 MHz
> > Win98SE + all updates
> > IE6 SP1 + all updates
> > 320Meg RAM
> > 3 MHz Cable
>
> These links may be of interest:
>
> http://msmvps.com/donna/articles/19946.aspx
>
> I personally use Avant as it to meets MY needs. If you want a nice tabbed
> browser with numerous features that's highly configurable it's worth a look
> (it uses IE's rendering engine):
>
> www.avantbrowser.com

If you like Avant and tabbed browsing, you may find that you *love* this browser:
Deepnet Explorer - Web + P2P + News Browser:
http://www.deepnetexplorer.com/
Give it a try.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

Fuzzy Logic wrote:

> I personally use Avant as it to meets MY needs. If you want a nice
tabbed
> browser with numerous features that's highly configurable it's worth
a look
> (it uses IE's rendering engine):

What's a rendering engine? Does it mean when I go to one of those
poorly designed sites that only work well with IE, Avant can handle
them?

> www.avantbrowser.com
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:41:37 AM

"sf" <sfpipeline@gmail.com> wrote:

>Fuzzy Logic wrote:
>
>> I personally use Avant as it to meets MY needs. If you want a nice
>tabbed
>> browser with numerous features that's highly configurable it's worth
>a look
>> (it uses IE's rendering engine):
>>

>What's a rendering engine?

The rendering engine is the software that reads HTML (and CSS and
whatever is bundled in the page) and turns it into a display on your
screen.

>Does it mean when I go to one of those
>poorly designed sites that only work well with IE, Avant can handle
>them?

Yes.

--
Tim Slattery