Help identifying and solving this problem

karankansal

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Hi i just assembled a new rig but am facing some problems running the thing.

My Specs: (Running at Bare minimum)

Seagate 300Gb SATA 2 hard disk
AMD Fx-55 Clawhammer
MSI K8N Diamond Plus
Inno 3D Geforce 7900GT
512 PC3200 DDR400 Kingston RAM

No OC or anything. Everything running on stock coolers

When i boot up i get the following error:

CMOS CheckSum BAD
Press F1 to try and repair (This takes me to the BIOS)
Press F2 to load default values and try starting (THis resets BIOS defaults)

F1 has no use cos when it restarts it goes back to the same screen

On F2 i can go into the Windows Xp loading screen but then the comp shuts down. On restarting and going thru F2 again it shows the "windows didn't start properly" screen. Here i am able to run all safe mode boot options but not normal windows. I can go in using safe mode and surf net and everything but normal windows won't load.

So any suggestions on this? I suspect it's the mobo.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Your CMOS battery might be defective, try getting a new one at Radioshack. They are only a few dollars. If that does not work something is wrong with theBIOS in ROM, you can try flashing your BIOS to the lastest update or try to RMA the board.

karankansal

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I have actually changed the batteries using one from my old system which was the same make. My old system is working fine so i think the battery should also be ok. But the same problem happens.

It's a brand new mobo with an AMBIOS version dated 1st April 2006. THe MSI website has an older version of BIOS so it doesn't allow me to flash it.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
He can check the battery with a volt meter first.

Also do a long RTC reset if battery is still good.
Remove the PSU cord,remove the battery,move the RTC jumpers to the "clear" position.

The next day reverse the above.

If that does not work then reinstall the OS (on a PATA drive).
If it does not work after that then you need to do a "list" of things....

Remove ALL cards,ram and drives and see that you get the correct lites/beeps that say you don't have them!

If so the MB is "probibly good".

Next install ONLY 1 pcs of ram and retest.
If you get codes saying all but the ram is missing move on to each other card...so on and so on.

After you get it to work AND load into the OS then install your other ram.

Z

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
If you can get it all up and runing after all that on a PATA drive then connect the SATA and reformat it. Get the OS to see it and move some files from the PATA to it and back in forth.

If the SATA works then clear it and move (after all updates) the OS onto it....you should know how to make it the new "C" drive after that.

Good luck.

Z

Zoness

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
This happens to me on occasion, a hard reboot usually fixes it. It tends to be the result of a bad BIOS clearing or jumper setting, you need to make sure you remove the main power cord from the mobo before clearing bios, that is where I think it comes from.

My mobo is AOpen AK79D-400Max w/ nForce 2 Ultra 400