Laptop IRQ Conflict?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 18, 2005 10:46:40 AM

Since I installed a pcmcia USB2 and firewire combo adapter to my laptop, I
appear to be having the occasional shutdown snags; moreover, my
externalWintv USB does not work (ie no sound or vision) when plugged into
the USB2 pcmcia combo card. I have 2 pcmcia slots and I have my dial-up
modem in the other slot.

My IRQ details are below and I see that the display adapter (RAGE) is using
IRQ10. Could that explain why the Wintv doesn't like connecting to the
USB2 combo card? If so, can I do anything about it? (I have looked
in the bios and I cannot change the display irq. The laptop is 5 years
old and I do not want to risk upgrading the bios.)

0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 PCMCIA Fax Modem 56K
4 Communications Port (COM5)
5 (free)
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 ESS Maestro2E PCI AudioDrive (WDM)
9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
10 ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
10 RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
11 Infrared PnP Serial Port (*PNP0510)
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

Thanks

Martin

More about : laptop irq conflict

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 18, 2005 10:46:41 AM

Video cards, USB cards, Firewire cards, USB/Firewire combo cards, IDE
adapters, SCSI adapters, SATA adapters work best, if at all, if they have an
exclusive IRQ usage. Your windows installation seems to be complying with
the bios irq assignments Some PC-oriented USB or Firewire cards will work
on IRQ 3 if available. Try swapping the modem and USB card PCMCIA slots..

You have a free IRQ 5. IRQ 4 is being used by COM 5, what's that for?

"Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Since I installed a pcmcia USB2 and firewire combo adapter to my laptop, I
> appear to be having the occasional shutdown snags; moreover, my
> externalWintv USB does not work (ie no sound or vision) when plugged into
> the USB2 pcmcia combo card. I have 2 pcmcia slots and I have my
dial-up
> modem in the other slot.
>

> My IRQ details are below and I see that the display adapter (RAGE) is
using
> IRQ10. Could that explain why the Wintv doesn't like connecting to the
> USB2 combo card? If so, can I do anything about it? (I have
looked
> in the bios and I cannot change the display irq. The laptop is 5 years
> old and I do not want to risk upgrading the bios.)
>

> 0 System timer
> 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
> 2 Programmable interrupt controller
> 3 PCMCIA Fax Modem 56K
> 4 Communications Port (COM5)
> 5 (free)
> 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
> 7 Printer Port (LPT1)
> 8 System CMOS/real time clock
> 9 ESS Maestro2E PCI AudioDrive (WDM)
> 9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> 10 PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
> 10 ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
> 10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> 10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
> 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
> 10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
> 10 RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X
> 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> 11 Infrared PnP Serial Port (*PNP0510)
> 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
> 13 Numeric data processor
> 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
> 14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
> 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
> 15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
>

> Thanks
>
> Martin

March 18, 2005 8:51:52 PM

Dear Dave,

Thanks indeed for replying.

I don't know what COM5 is and there is no mention of it in the laptop
manual.

Furthermore, when I rebooted (doing nothing else) there was no mention of a
COM5, just:

IRQ
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 (free)

So, what was previously COM5 under IRQ4 became COM1 merely by rebooting and
no mention anywhere else of a COM5. The manual says the laptop has 2
parallel ports and 2 serial ports. Using Everest (formerly Aida32) I
see that:

COM1 is communications port (COM1)
COM4 is virtual infrared port
LPT1 is printer port (LPT1)
LPT3 is virtual infrared LPT port

Again, no mention of any COM5.

I have since removed the pcmcia modem (can't swap slots because of shape of
combo card) and I put the combo card in the slot previously occupied by the
modem card. On reboot, the laptop searched for and found the new
drivers (which I wasn't expecting) and the new IRQ information is:

0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 Infrared PnP Serial Port (*PNP0510)
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 ESS Maestro2E PCI AudioDrive (WDM)
5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 (free)
10 PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
10 ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
10 RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
11 (free)
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

(There are now 2 IRQs free now because I had to leave the pcmcia modem card
out.) ATI RAGE is still using IRQ10. I hope this makes sense to you
because I'm now in an area beyond my previous experience. (By the way,
this may or may not be relevant, when I remove the pcmcia combo card after
first stopping it using the "Unplug or eject hardware" icon and being told
it's safe to unplug, the laptop still freezes up.)

I appreciate any ideas and guidance on this matter.

Martin

> Video cards, USB cards, Firewire cards, USB/Firewire combo cards, IDE
> adapters, SCSI adapters, SATA adapters work best, if at all, if they have
an
> exclusive IRQ usage. Your windows installation seems to be complying with
> the bios irq assignments Some PC-oriented USB or Firewire cards will work
> on IRQ 3 if available. Try swapping the modem and USB card PCMCIA slots..
>
> You have a free IRQ 5. IRQ 4 is being used by COM 5, what's that for?
>
> "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Since I installed a pcmcia USB2 and firewire combo adapter to my laptop,
> > appear to be having the occasional shutdown snags; moreover, my
> > externalWintv USB does not work (ie no sound or vision) when plugged
into
> > the USB2 pcmcia combo card. I have 2 pcmcia slots and I have my
> dial-up
> > modem in the other slot.
> >

> > My IRQ details are below and I see that the display adapter (RAGE) is
> using
> > IRQ10. Could that explain why the Wintv doesn't like connecting to
the
> > USB2 combo card? If so, can I do anything about it? (I have
> looked
> > in the bios and I cannot change the display irq. The laptop is 5
years
> > old and I do not want to risk upgrading the bios.)
> >

> > 0 System timer
> > 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
> > 2 Programmable interrupt controller
> > 3 PCMCIA Fax Modem 56K
> > 4 Communications Port (COM5)
> > 5 (free)
> > 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
> > 7 Printer Port (LPT1)
> > 8 System CMOS/real time clock
> > 9 ESS Maestro2E PCI AudioDrive (WDM)
> > 9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > 10 PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
> > 10 ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
> > 10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> > 10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> > 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
> > 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
> > 10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
> > 10 RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X
> > 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > 11 Infrared PnP Serial Port (*PNP0510)
> > 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
> > 13 Numeric data processor
> > 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
> > 14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
> > 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
> > 15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > Martin

a b D Laptop
March 19, 2005 8:02:27 AM

Laptops, even todays' laptops, are real iffy for adding hardware. That is,
compared to PCs.
If you're not using COM1, disable it in the bios if possible. Remove the
USB/Firewire card. Bootup windows, shutdown. Then install the card again.

The infrared port moved to COM2's normal irq as its a serial port device.
The USB/Firewire card should have taken irq 11, or the video chip. But,
that may be a PNP mal-represenation of actual irq usage in windows.

If the USB/Firewire card is working, try putting in the modem card again if
you disable onboard COM1. Betting it will take irq 4.
> [...]
> > > 8 System CMOS/real time clock
> > > 9 ESS Maestro2E PCI AudioDrive (WDM)
> > > 9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > > 10 PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
> > > 10 ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
> > > 10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> > > 10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> > > 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
> > > 10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
> > > 10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
> > > 10 RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X
> > > 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > > 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > > 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> > > 11 Infrared PnP Serial Port (*PNP0510)
> > > 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
> > > 13 Numeric data processor
> > > 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
> > > 14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
> > > 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
> > > 15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

March 20, 2005 3:54:10 PM

Not much joy, I'm afraid, Dave. I originally thought a laptop was a PC
shoehorned into a tiny space but over the years I've come to realise it
isn't that simple.

I can't disable COM1 in the bios. There are 2 sections on Com ports
labelled COM A I/O SETTINGS and COM B I/O SETTINGS, underneath each of which
are 5 options:

NONE
COM1, 3F8, IRQ4
COM2, 2F8, IRQ3
COM3, 3E8, IRQ10
COM4, 2E8, IRQ11

I thought setting it to NONE might disable it, but not so.

I tried disabling PnP support in the bios in the hope that it would allow me
to manually change the IRQ settings in the Resource tabs in Device Manager
after unchecking "Use automatic settings", but it's still not possible to
change
them.

I also tried setting COM3 to IRQ10 to see if that forced the other items on
that IRQ to take other IRQs but all it did was to assign IRQ3 to the
mysterious COM5 (no mention of a COM3 on IRQ10).

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have to try updating the bios in the hope
that the update might offer some useful options, but I must say I'm really
wary about mucking around with the bios.

By the way, I have dual booting (both 98SE) on my hard drive and I also have
a spare hard drive. On neither of these other 2 setups have I installed the
combo card. I checked the IRQs on each of these and they are identical to
the basic settings (pre-combo card), namely:

10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
10 Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus Controller
10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
10 RAGE LT PRO AGP 2X
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering

I realise you must be rapidly running out of ideas.

Thanks again for your help.

Martin

> [...]
told
> > it's safe to unplug, the laptop still freezes up.)
> >
> > I appreciate any ideas and guidance on this matter.
> >
> > Martin
> >

> > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
> > > Video cards, USB cards, Firewire cards, USB/Firewire combo cards, IDE
> > > adapters, SCSI adapters, SATA adapters work best, if at all, if they
> have
> > an
> > > exclusive IRQ usage. Your windows installation seems to be complying
> with
> > > the bios irq assignments Some PC-oriented USB or Firewire cards will
> work
> > > on IRQ 3 if available. Try swapping the modem and USB card PCMCIA
> slots..
> > >
> > > You have a free IRQ 5. IRQ 4 is being used by COM 5, what's that for?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 20, 2005 4:39:02 PM

I had a PCTEL modem and it's default was COM 5 and IRQ 11.
You could not change the IRQ - was hard coded, but the COM 5 and ports could
be changed in control panel. Don't expect any explanation - that is just
what it did.:)
--
mae

!