Sign in with
Your question

How many hard drives?

Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2006 4:00:29 AM

I am trying to build my first system and was looking for some advice on the fastest hard drive configuration. Should I go with two hard drives (Stripe Raid) to run the OS and a third for storage or is this too many?

Thanks!!

More about : hard drives

April 22, 2006 11:10:20 AM

Thanks, I'll go with the two drives. What does your signature mean? I was going to go with the A8N-sli deluxe for my Mobo.
April 22, 2006 12:22:06 PM

Quote:
Or if you have unlimited budget and want to go absoultely wild on it try this(similar to my setup):
-2x73GB Maxtor Atlas 15K II
-4x300GB 7200RPM SATA in RAID5

This implies that you have an unlimited budget. Please send me a dozen Opteron 175s, a dozen 165s, a plethora of DFI mobos, a truckload of Thermaltake cases and watercooling toys, a railcar full of Raptors, a box full of fast OCZ memory and a pallet of high end PSs. Thanks! I'll mention you in my autobiography.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2006 1:30:50 PM

While a RAID "0" will certainly shave 2-3 seconds off of boot time and speed up everything normally bottlenecked on disk access, it also increases your vulnerability,as even with a single glitch on a single drive, all data can be lost reqiring a reformat/reinstall, but on the positive side, you will quickly become familiar with recovery procedures, and learn the value of backups, issues with instaling an OS on RAID "0", F6 driver install where non-natively supported controllers are used, etc...! (Several top mainboards also have RAID 5, requiring at least 3 drives min, but eliminating your risk of loss of data due to one drive failure.)
April 22, 2006 1:48:36 PM

Huh! I'll check out the Epox board. I just figured that since Alienware put the Asus in their machines, that was the board to go with.
April 22, 2006 2:08:04 PM

Quote:
on the positive side, you will quickly become familiar with recovery procedures, and learn the value of backups, issues with instaling an OS on RAID "0", F6 driver install where non-natively supported controllers are used, etc...!

This implies that HD failure rates are high and that's a total crock!

(But by all means, do your backups religiously and you'll never feel the heartbreak of an irretrievable loss)
April 22, 2006 9:30:19 PM

how much faster is raid?
!