New motherboard and no video after running fine

nimchip

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
My brother recently bought a new MSI K8NGM2 and an AMD 3200+ Athlon 64. I assembled the thing last week and it was up and running fine until about friday when there was a blackout. When you attempted to turn on the PC it had no video and the PC Speaker sounded like a lot of static. I quickly tried to "discharge" by unplugging the power cord and holding the power button. I also tried reseating everything. After all those attempts I removed the Motherboard and RMA'd it.

Fast forward today, I installed the new one and it was up and running for a few hours. I left it on while it was updating Windows. When i go to his room i find out that his pc is on the startup memory/cpu/hard disk detection screen and it has "jaggies" or something similar to what happens when a vid card Fan stops working. I restart it and it has no video. I'm convinced that its the motherboard again (he uses the onboard Geforce 6100 north bridge as video). Like the previous time, there were no beeps or so at start up.

What could cause this though? It has happened in two different occasions with the same brand new board. Any ideas?

It also has 2 sticks of old PC2700 ram, one 512 mb and another 256mb. One hard disk 120gb Western Digital, one dvd/cd-rw combo and a floppy drive.

Specs of the motherboard:
Model
Brand MSI
Model K8NGM2-L
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type Socket 939
CPU Type Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Sempron
FSB 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)
Chipsets
North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 6100
South Bridge NVIDIA nForce 410
Memory
Number of DDR Slots 4x 184pin DDR
DDR Standard DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Maximum Memory Supported 4GB
Dual Channel Supported Yes
Expansion Slots
AGP Slots None
PCI Express x16 1
PCI Express x1 1
PCI Slots 2
Storage Devices
PATA 2 x ATA100 up to 4 Devices
SATA 3Gb/s 2
SATA RAID RAID 0/1
Onboard Video
Onboard Video Yes
Onboard Video Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6100
Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset Realtek ALC880
Audio Channels 8 Channels
Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset Realtek 8201CL PHY
Max LAN Speed 10/100Mbps
Rear Panel Ports
PS/2 2
LPT 1
VGA 1
USB 4x USB 2.0
Audio Ports 3 Ports
Onboard USB
Onboard USB 4x USB 2.0
Physical Spec
Form Factor Micro ATX
Dimensions 9.6" x 9.6"
Features
Power Pin 24 Pin

nimchip

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Sorry I forgot to adds that there were of course no beeps. I will try reseating the ram with this one later and will post if nothing happens.

Is your PSU adequate for this rig, say, at least a 350 watt quality unit? (I'd also drop down to a single stick of mem in an approved slot while troubleshooting...)

Also, check to make sure your case standoffs are correctly positioned for your mainboard, with absolutely no extras....

WHile trying to get at least a POST display, disconect all ribbons, SATA connectors, and pwr inputs to assorted drives...

What size/make is your power supply, as obviously, not all are created equally.

nimchip

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
400w max +5V/30A max, +3.3V/28A max, +12V/0.3A max

i will check for extra stand-offs though, and try all you mentioned.

nimchip

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
it had an extra stand off, unfortunately it didn't fix the problem... probably what shorted the motherboard or something?

I will disconnect stuff now and try for a display like you said.

nimchip

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I tried disconnecting every IDE cable, sata, everything off the motherboard except power and ram. There's still no video.

I think i'm gonna RMA again and probably get a different motherboard.

MegaManExtreme2005

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I'm not too sure whats going on but I think you may need to get a better PSU like 500W+ for example. Cuold be an overloaded power supply. (heh a bit like my 350W+ PSU already making horrible sounds,could it be possible failure)

Hey I happen to have a similar prob but I'm not sure If my PSU's overloaded.

My PC's got:
AMD Athlon 2600+ CPU (1.91GHZ but sometimes OC'd to 2.1GHZ)
Asus motherboard with onboard graphics (GF4 MX)
512MB RAM
3 hard drives
1x120GB
1x200BG
1x300GB
DVD-Writer
Fan controller which uses up 20W max
My power supply's making horrible noises, Can u guys suggest whether my PSU's overloaded? It's a 350W Antec, 2 fans. Any suggestions would help, thanx.8)

nimchip

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
well I disconnected all fans and everything, left only the motherboard power and cpu fan etc to see if I could get a start up screen and it didn't happen... I don't think the PSU is the problem.

nimchip

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Well you know what.. someone in another board suggested that my power supply might not be offering enough juice for the board. Doesn't make sense since I disconnected everything and it didn't work anyway. Just in case you guys agree or something the PSU is a generic (i know they suck) 400W PSU with +5V/30A max, +3.3V/28A max, +12V/25A max.

Kryptomage

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
From what I read in this forum it's NOT the psu. If there's no video coming to the screen and you did all the tests what I would usually do is replace the mem, then replace the CPU. if none of these fix the problem then it's the MOBO. But if it is fixed then whatever part you changed will be the problem and just replace it. Hope this helps

nimchip

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Hmm thanks for that. The ram is old so it may be the ram, however the CPU is brand new so I don't think that's it. Besides both of these were working fine on both times until the poop hit the fan on both accounts. I'll check it again today but I'm almost about to RMA again before the time expires.

It DID have a standoff that wasn't aligned with the board. Perhaps it shorted it on both times. I can't understand why a board would give out so easily though.