Windows 98 update

After downloading the last 2 updates I get errors. Can't get on the internet.
Can I just go into dos and restore a backup . Thanks to all who replies
--
jcamper

You can't restore a backup unless you created one.
Uninstall or disable the one that seems to cause the most problems,
KB891711
Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "jcamper"
<jcamper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After downloading the last 2 updates I get errors. Can't get on the internet.
>Can I just go into dos and restore a backup . Thanks to all who replies

I deleted all updates will redo new updates. Will not add kb891711. Thank so
much. It's my son inlaws computer. They have a new one but this is where he
plays his games. One more question if you can help. They are staying at our
house until their house is ready to move into. They installed a wireless so
they can get internet. This computer has no firewall, virus....I will install
the free ones that I know are safe. My question is how do I keep my computer
safe. I haven't set up my wireless connection. I have firewall, virus,
spyware ect on my windows xp. I don't know alot about computers just enough
to keep my own computer safe. When they run off my internet can they infect
my computer . Thank you for your help.

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> You can't restore a backup unless you created one.
> Uninstall or disable the one that seems to cause the most problems,
> KB891711
> Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab
>
> ....Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "jcamper"
> <jcamper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >After downloading the last 2 updates I get errors. Can't get on the internet.
> >Can I just go into dos and restore a backup . Thanks to all who replies

HAGGIS

keep your own safe and as long as you aren't sharing files with them , you
should be fine.

"jcamper" <jcamper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I deleted all updates will redo new updates. Will not add kb891711. Thank
>so
> much. It's my son inlaws computer. They have a new one but this is where
> he
> plays his games. One more question if you can help. They are staying at
> our
> house until their house is ready to move into. They installed a wireless
> so
> they can get internet. This computer has no firewall, virus....I will
> install
> the free ones that I know are safe. My question is how do I keep my
> computer
> safe. I haven't set up my wireless connection. I have firewall, virus,
> spyware ect on my windows xp. I don't know alot about computers just
> enough
> to keep my own computer safe. When they run off my internet can they
> infect
> my computer . Thank you for your help.
>
> "Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> You can't restore a backup unless you created one.
>> Uninstall or disable the one that seems to cause the most problems,
>> KB891711
>> Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "jcamper"
>> <jcamper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >After downloading the last 2 updates I get errors. Can't get on the
>> >internet.
>> >Can I just go into dos and restore a backup . Thanks to all who replies

If you really meant "I deleted all updates" rather than Uninstalled, you
may run into problems. Deletion should only be done for leftovers after
uninstalling or app that did not use an install.
Furthermore, you didn't need to remove all updates, you only needed to
uninstall KB891711.

Your machine should be fine setup as it is and as Haggis mentioned, NO file
sharing. If you access the net now by other means than wireless, don't
bother with it, stick with what you have. Still, take no chances and get the
protection on theirs before accessing the net.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"jcamper" <jcamper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I deleted all updates will redo new updates. Will not add kb891711. Thank
>so
> much. It's my son inlaws computer. They have a new one but this is where
> he
> plays his games. One more question if you can help. They are staying at
> our
> house until their house is ready to move into. They installed a wireless
> so
> they can get internet. This computer has no firewall, virus....I will
> install
> the free ones that I know are safe. My question is how do I keep my
> computer
> safe. I haven't set up my wireless connection. I have firewall, virus,
> spyware ect on my windows xp. I don't know alot about computers just
> enough
> to keep my own computer safe. When they run off my internet can they
> infect
> my computer . Thank you for your help.
>
> "Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> You can't restore a backup unless you created one.
>> Uninstall or disable the one that seems to cause the most problems,
>> KB891711
>> Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "jcamper"
>> <jcamper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >After downloading the last 2 updates I get errors. Can't get on the
>> >internet.
>> >Can I just go into dos and restore a backup . Thanks to all who replies

I uninstalled all updates, removed all virus, trijans ect. Installed fire
wall, virus, spyware removal ect. Made a back up. Ran ccleaner. Now I will
run updates. Thanks for your help. I have xp and when I went back to 98 I was
a little confused. I also plan on posting a highjack this log on another
forum to make sure I removed all the virus from that computer. My computer is
pretty tight. As long as son inlaw stays off. He had me sharing something and
I removed those files. Ran security check all was good. Thanks to all. I have
learned alot from several forums on the internet on computer safety.

"Brian A." wrote:

> If you really meant "I deleted all updates" rather than Uninstalled, you
> may run into problems. Deletion should only be done for leftovers after
> uninstalling or app that did not use an install.
> Furthermore, you didn't need to remove all updates, you only needed to
> uninstall KB891711.
>
> Your machine should be fine setup as it is and as Haggis mentioned, NO file
> sharing. If you access the net now by other means than wireless, don't
> bother with it, stick with what you have. Still, take no chances and get the
> protection on theirs before accessing the net.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "jcamper" <jcamper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I deleted all updates will redo new updates. Will not add kb891711. Thank
> >so
> > much. It's my son inlaws computer. They have a new one but this is where
> > he
> > plays his games. One more question if you can help. They are staying at
> > our
> > house until their house is ready to move into. They installed a wireless
> > so
> > they can get internet. This computer has no firewall, virus....I will
> > install
> > the free ones that I know are safe. My question is how do I keep my
> > computer
> > safe. I haven't set up my wireless connection. I have firewall, virus,
> > spyware ect on my windows xp. I don't know alot about computers just
> > enough
> > to keep my own computer safe. When they run off my internet can they
> > infect
> > my computer . Thank you for your help.
> >
> > "Alan Edwards" wrote:
> >
> >> You can't restore a backup unless you created one.
> >> Uninstall or disable the one that seems to cause the most problems,
> >> KB891711
> >> Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab
> >>
> >> ....Alan
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

If they will reside in your home until they are able to move into their
own, I highly suggest you Password protect your XP and it's account/s. If
your son-in-law setup something to share once, he may very well do it again.
Lock him OUT.