Windows update

Folks, have been reading many complaints regarding Windows Update. And my
condolences to those suffering from a botched update.

Am old school. I still do windows system file updates the same old way.
But, the thing si, many 98SE security updates are only available from the MS
windows update site. And, on the surface, it appears that the only way to
get it is to install upon download. The following may help in many
situations.

First, though, need to define two terms for the reader. This is because
this seems a problem for many. Download means to recover a file from a
remote source, in this case, the internet, and save it on your PC.
Installing a file, like a windows update file, means to implement the file
and allow it to make changes to your PC. The default windows update service
does both, but, you do not interact during this process after you've
implemented it..

In windows update, you can select the option to allow viewing of the windows
catalog by operating system version. This is done under "personalize
windows update". The windows update catalog will then be visible under "see
also". Do this first.

updates. Write down the security type updates by KB number. YES, you have
to write it down. Do not download and install these. Now go to the windows
update catalog and sort by what's appropriate, name, date etc. Locate the
updates and download (do not install yet) to your PC. They will be deep in
many subfolders at the download location you selected after downloading (not
installing).

Close your internet browser. Do a softwareDisconnect your telco modem to
remove communciation from your ISP, commonly known as hanging up.

Now, you should close everything in windows. Start by closing all in the
lower-right corner, or system tray. If it won't close, chose the option to
disable it for now. Press the following keys simultaneously: ctrl alt del
You may see many items. All should be closed except explorer and systray.
Do not confuse explorer with iexplorer (IE). Close any instance of
iexplorer as well. Select an item, and select end task. Wait a few seconds
and continue the process until all except the two items are closed (not
visible). Some may take more than once to cause to close. Some items may
still be visible in the system tray. Hovering your mouse cursor over them
should cause them to disappear.

Now, open an instance of windows explorer to locate the update files. Find
one update, double click to update. If a screen comes up requesting a
restart, do it. But, close the instance of windows explorer you just opened
first.

Apply one update at a time. Restart after each update. Save the updates on
your PC or removable media for later use.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows update

    Excellent advice, Lil' Dave. Only caveat I'd have is there are sometimes
    cases where the order of installation is touchy. Windows Updates will
    install Updates in proper order, and for my money, it's better to let
    Windows Updates do the installing, while holding the Catalog solution
    for when problems actually occur, or for transport to a system with no
    internet connection. And, no, there is no fool-proof method that I know
    of for determining what the proper order should be in some cases. Just
    knowledge and good intuition. It's not probably any less sure of success
    than to let Windows Updates install, but I don't think it's more likely
    to succeed than Windows Updates, either. Each has its proper place in
    the scheme of things.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
    seconds
    > and continue the process until all except the two items are closed
    (not
    > visible). Some may take more than once to cause to close. Some items
    may
    > still be visible in the system tray. Hovering your mouse cursor over
    them
    > should cause them to disappear.
    >
    > Now, open an instance of windows explorer to locate the update files.
    Find
    > one update, double click to update. If a screen comes up requesting a
    > restart, do it. But, close the instance of windows explorer you just
    opened
    > first.
    >
    > Apply one update at a time. Restart after each update. Save the
    updates on
    > your PC or removable media for later use.

Internet Service Providers Windows Update Windows