Multilingual operating systems

I am studying Chinese and living in Taiwan. My first language is English. I
want to get a new laptop and am faced with the problem of whether to get an
English or a Chinese language operating system. I have been told that if I
get an English operating system, setup of some chinese programs (specifically
dictionaries , dreye and wenlin) may be difficult. However, if I install the
Chinese operating system I am liable to get error messages that I have no
chance of understanding. (I have great problems with them in English!).
I have heard that Windows XP Professional can run in different languages
without having to reinstall the system. Can anyone tell me if this is true
and how would it work? Would it be a solution to my problem? Also could it
run in both Traditional and Simplified characters? Finally, does this mean
that Windows XP home does not have this feature?

Thanks for your time,

Alex
2 answers Last reply
More about multilingual operating systems

    Hi Alex,

    There are two different things here:

    One is the MUI (Multilingual User Interface) which overlays an English
    version of WinXP Pro with the alternate language version. This is generally
    available only for commercial volume clients. Read:
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/MUIFaq.mspx

    The other is the IME (Input Method Editor) which keeps the same basic
    Operating System language (english), but allows you to input characters from
    other languages:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/ime/default.mspx

    For Chinese:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/ime/install.mspx

    IME's will work in both the Home and Pro versions of WindowsXP.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am studying Chinese and living in Taiwan. My first language is English. I
    > want to get a new laptop and am faced with the problem of whether to get
    > an
    > English or a Chinese language operating system. I have been told that if I
    > get an English operating system, setup of some chinese programs
    > (specifically
    > dictionaries , dreye and wenlin) may be difficult. However, if I install
    > the
    > Chinese operating system I am liable to get error messages that I have no
    > chance of understanding. (I have great problems with them in English!).
    > I have heard that Windows XP Professional can run in different languages
    > without having to reinstall the system. Can anyone tell me if this is true
    > and how would it work? Would it be a solution to my problem? Also could it
    > run in both Traditional and Simplified characters? Finally, does this mean
    > that Windows XP home does not have this feature?
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    >
    > Alex

    Hi:

    Our company also works in a multinational environment, so as suggested
    below, your best choice is to obtain an English version of OS and a Chinese
    MUI pack.

    This is the best way if you need a greater capability of different
    languages.

    However, there are additional alternatives:

    (1) Just reading Chinese web pages: You don't need anything else, IE can do
    it with built-in multi-language support (Unicode),
    (2) Office: If you are going to purchase an Office suite including Office XP
    and later, you can purchase language pack comes with Office instead of OS,
    (3) Utilities: There are some local utilities (such as hand writing devices)
    that could be installed in an English version of OS but allow you to type
    and write (and read, of course) in Chinese.

    Hope this will help and good luck.

    > Hi Alex,
    >
    > There are two different things here:
    >
    > One is the MUI (Multilingual User Interface) which overlays an English
    > version of WinXP Pro with the alternate language version. This is
    > generally available only for commercial volume clients. Read:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/MUIFaq.mspx
    >
    > The other is the IME (Input Method Editor) which keeps the same basic
    > Operating System language (english), but allows you to input characters
    > from other languages:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/ime/default.mspx
    >
    > For Chinese:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/ime/install.mspx
    >
    > IME's will work in both the Home and Pro versions of WindowsXP.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I am studying Chinese and living in Taiwan. My first language is English.
    >> want to get a new laptop and am faced with the problem of whether to get
    >> an
    >> English or a Chinese language operating system. I have been told that if
    >> get an English operating system, setup of some chinese programs
    >> (specifically
    >> dictionaries , dreye and wenlin) may be difficult. However, if I install
    >> the
    >> Chinese operating system I am liable to get error messages that I have no
    >> chance of understanding. (I have great problems with them in English!).
    >> I have heard that Windows XP Professional can run in different languages
    >> without having to reinstall the system. Can anyone tell me if this is
    >> true
    >> and how would it work? Would it be a solution to my problem? Also could
    >> it
    >> run in both Traditional and Simplified characters? Finally, does this
    >> mean
    >> that Windows XP home does not have this feature?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time,
    >>
    >> Alex

Systems Windows XP