KB891711 and Microsoft unresponsiveness/(ir)responsability

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 18, 2005 5:54:02 PM

The *very* large number of posts reporting severe problems with KB891711, and
my bad personnal experience (major graphic display problems) trigger me to
raise the follwing questions:

- how is it possible that Microsoft does not react to this overwhelming
number of warnings and does not post a message on its web site and/or on
windows update signalling that installation of KB891711 may cause problems ?

- why do they not suggest (and post) that the best way to recover control of
the machine is to start in safe mode and to uncheck the KB891711 entry on the
startup list (using msconfig). This method has been widely publicized on
various forums and is effective.

The result of Microsoft silence is that many victims of KB891711 will think
that their computer needs repair and/or replacement (since they often cannot
start in normal mode). This is actually what I was told by a reseller (who
eventually sugegsted that I had a disk problem and that I better had to buy a
new womputer).

Is Microsoft
- irresponsible ?
- unwilling to recognize that they put a bad piece of software on Windows
Update (obsviously not sufficiently tested on a Win98/WinMe ?
- willing to make unusable as many Win98/Winme computers as possible since
these victims are likely to by newer machines ... running Windows XP ...

Can Microsoft comment ?
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:18:17 PM

"Paul (Bornival)" <PaulBornival@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The *very* large number of posts reporting severe problems with KB891711,
and
> my bad personnal experience (major graphic display problems) trigger me to
> raise the follwing questions:
>
> - how is it possible that Microsoft does not react to this overwhelming
> number of warnings and does not post a message on its web site and/or on
> windows update signalling that installation of KB891711 may cause problems
?

It is relative to the level of support that a given product has reached.

> - why do they not suggest (and post) that the best way to recover control
of
> the machine is to start in safe mode and to uncheck the KB891711 entry on
the
> startup list (using msconfig). This method has been widely publicized on
> various forums and is effective.

It is relative to the level of support that a given product has reached.

> The result of Microsoft silence is that many victims of KB891711 will
think
> that their computer needs repair and/or replacement (since they often
cannot
> start in normal mode). This is actually what I was told by a reseller
(who
> eventually sugegsted that I had a disk problem and that I better had to
buy a
> new womputer).
>
> Is Microsoft irresponsible ?

In this case, no.

> - unwilling to recognize that they put a bad piece of software on Windows
> Update (obsviously not sufficiently tested on a Win98/WinMe ?

It would seem so.

> - willing to make unusable as many Win98/Winme computers as possible since
> these victims are likely to by newer machines ... running Windows XP ...

Many people will indeed suspect that, given Microsoft's image on the street.
Whether there is validity here, I cannot say.

> Can Microsoft comment ?

They may. They monitor these NewsGroups, and "borrow" and implement
ideas which prove to have merit, and provide feedback to operational groups
and management where warranted, but only rarely will they have someone
from Microsoft comment on the record in this NG.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:25:44 PM

Paul (Bornival) wrote:
> The *very* large number of posts reporting severe problems with KB891711,
> and my bad personnal experience (major graphic display problems) trigger
> me to raise the follwing questions:
>
> - how is it possible that Microsoft does not react to this overwhelming
> number of warnings and does not post a message on its web site and/or on
> windows update signalling that installation of KB891711 may cause
> problems ?
>
> - why do they not suggest (and post) that the best way to recover control
> of the machine is to start in safe mode and to uncheck the KB891711 entry
> on the startup list (using msconfig). This method has been widely
> publicized on various forums and is effective.
>
> The result of Microsoft silence is that many victims of KB891711 will
> think that their computer needs repair and/or replacement (since they
> often cannot start in normal mode). This is actually what I was told by
> a reseller (who eventually sugegsted that I had a disk problem and that I
> better had to buy a new womputer).
>
> Is Microsoft
> - irresponsible ?
> - unwilling to recognize that they put a bad piece of software on Windows
> Update (obsviously not sufficiently tested on a Win98/WinMe ?
> - willing to make unusable as many Win98/Winme computers as possible since
> these victims are likely to by newer machines ... running Windows XP ...
>
> Can Microsoft comment ?

"Microsoft" doesn't come here, Paul.
--
~PA Bear
March 18, 2005 10:10:57 PM

They are in such a haste & flutter to fix it, they have forgotten to
remove the little monster from the site? Oh, God! Oh, my God!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Paul (Bornival)" <PaulBornival@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:4A33457D-ECD2-41E9-839E-682439D2154E@microsoft.com...
| The *very* large number of posts reporting severe problems with
KB891711, and
| my bad personnal experience (major graphic display problems) trigger
me to
| raise the follwing questions:
|
| - how is it possible that Microsoft does not react to this
overwhelming
| number of warnings and does not post a message on its web site and/or
on
| windows update signalling that installation of KB891711 may cause
problems ?

| - why do they not suggest (and post) that the best way to recover
control of
| the machine is to start in safe mode and to uncheck the KB891711 entry
on the
| startup list (using msconfig). This method has been widely publicized
on
| various forums and is effective.
|
| The result of Microsoft silence is that many victims of KB891711 will
think
| that their computer needs repair and/or replacement (since they often
cannot
| start in normal mode). This is actually what I was told by a reseller
(who
| eventually sugegsted that I had a disk problem and that I better had
to buy a
| new womputer).
|
| Is Microsoft
| - irresponsible ?
| - unwilling to recognize that they put a bad piece of software on
Windows
| Update (obsviously not sufficiently tested on a Win98/WinMe ?
| - willing to make unusable as many Win98/Winme computers as possible
since
| these victims are likely to by newer machines ... running Windows XP
|
| Can Microsoft comment ?

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:00:29 AM

Hugh Candlin wrote:
> "Paul (Bornival)" <PaulBornival@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:4A33457D-ECD2-41E9-839E-682439D2154E@microsoft.com...
>> The *very* large number of posts reporting severe problems with
>> KB891711, and my bad personnal experience (major graphic display
>> problems) trigger me to raise the follwing questions:
>>
>> - how is it possible that Microsoft does not react to this
>> overwhelming number of warnings and does not post a message on its
>> web site and/or on windows update signalling that installation of
>> KB891711 may cause problems ?
>
> It is relative to the level of support that a given product has
> reached.
>>
>> - why do they not suggest (and post) that the best way to recover
>> control of the machine is to start in safe mode and to uncheck the
>> KB891711 entry on the startup list (using msconfig). This method has
>> been widely publicized on various forums and is effective.
>
> It is relative to the level of support that a given product has
> reached.
>>
>> The result of Microsoft silence is that many victims of KB891711
>> will think that their computer needs repair and/or replacement
>> (since they often cannot start in normal mode). This is actually
>> what I was told by a reseller (who eventually sugegsted that I had a
>> disk problem and that I better had to buy a new womputer).
>>
>> Is Microsoft irresponsible ?
>
> In this case, no.
>
>> - unwilling to recognize that they put a bad piece of software on
>> Windows Update (obsviously not sufficiently tested on a Win98/WinMe ?
>
> It would seem so.
>
>> - willing to make unusable as many Win98/Winme computers as possible
>> since these victims are likely to by newer machines ... running
>> Windows XP ...
>
> Many people will indeed suspect that, given Microsoft's image on the
> street. Whether there is validity here, I cannot say.
>>
>> Can Microsoft comment ?
>
> They may. They monitor these NewsGroups, and "borrow" and implement
> ideas which prove to have merit, and provide feedback to operational
> groups and management where warranted, but only rarely will they have
> someone
> from Microsoft comment on the record in this NG.

Maybe they're just too busy laughing.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:25:51 AM

Paul (Bornival) wrote:

> - how is it possible that Microsoft does not react to this
> overwhelming number of warnings and does not post a message

Because Microsoft wants to kill off Windows 98 and this was a good way
to do it.
!