backing up files

dd

I am trying to back up some files to a CD (Windows 98)
I get this message - Cannot copy_____. Access is denied. Make sure the
disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in use.

I am using a new CD and the program is not open - HELP

More background information would be helpful. i.e. What burning software
are you using ? ..what files are you trying to "back-up" ?

If you don't have "packet writing" software installed, (such as Roxio's
DirectCD - ((you'll have had to have preformatted a cd-r disk using this
Roxio facility)) - there is a similar facility in Nero burning software),
then you cannot simply "copy" files to a cd-r. i.e. you have to make a
"data" disk.

What program is "not open" ?

If you are trying to back up an "installed" Windows program, then it's
possible that parts of it are being loaded at Windows start up. These
"parts" are locked in use by Windows - which could be causing a problem.

....why did I tackle this post ? !!!!!

regards, Richard

"DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to back up some files to a CD (Windows 98)
> I get this message - Cannot copy_____. Access is denied. Make sure the
> disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in use.
>
> I am using a new CD and the program is not open - HELP

Saving files directly to a CD drive in Windows 98 requires special
software, like Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD. Both of these (and other
similar devices) are known to behave erratically in Windows 98 (or any
other Windows for that matter.) The better solution is to save files to
a dedicated folder, then use "normal" CD burning programs to burn them
all in a single session. CD burning software generally supports burning
more than one session to a single CD if you leave the disk "open".

If you want further assistance with the situation you have, much more
info is needed, specifically what CD burning software you are using and
whether any "DirectCD" type of component is included.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to back up some files to a CD (Windows 98)
> I get this message - Cannot copy_____. Access is denied. Make sure
the
> disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in
use.

> I am using a new CD and the program is not open - HELP

dd

Hi Gary,
Will this procedure work if I am trying to back-up a program. I have been
reading about the importance or backing up your files and programs. I want
to especially back up my entire program that contains my digital camera
pictures.
DD

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Saving files directly to a CD drive in Windows 98 requires special
> software, like Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD. Both of these (and other
> similar devices) are known to behave erratically in Windows 98 (or any
> other Windows for that matter.) The better solution is to save files to
> a dedicated folder, then use "normal" CD burning programs to burn them
> all in a single session. CD burning software generally supports burning
> more than one session to a single CD if you leave the disk "open".
>
> If you want further assistance with the situation you have, much more
> info is needed, specifically what CD burning software you are using and
> whether any "DirectCD" type of component is included.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to back up some files to a CD (Windows 98)
> > I get this message - Cannot copy_____. Access is denied. Make sure
> the
> > disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in
> use.
> >
> > I am using a new CD and the program is not open - HELP

dd

I forgot - I have Adaptec - Easy CD Creator

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Saving files directly to a CD drive in Windows 98 requires special
> software, like Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD. Both of these (and other
> similar devices) are known to behave erratically in Windows 98 (or any
> other Windows for that matter.) The better solution is to save files to
> a dedicated folder, then use "normal" CD burning programs to burn them
> all in a single session. CD burning software generally supports burning
> more than one session to a single CD if you leave the disk "open".
>
> If you want further assistance with the situation you have, much more
> info is needed, specifically what CD burning software you are using and
> whether any "DirectCD" type of component is included.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to back up some files to a CD (Windows 98)
> > I get this message - Cannot copy_____. Access is denied. Make sure
> the
> > disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in
> use.
> >
> > I am using a new CD and the program is not open - HELP

It generally does not work well to back up *installed* programs, unless
you are doing a full-system backup. Programs usually consist of more
than just the files in their folder. Files are also written elsewhere,
Registry entries are created, other system files are modified. However,
it's wise to back up downloaded program installation and update files if
you don't already have them on CD

What program is this? If your photo program doesn't save photos in a
normal format by default, like JPG, then I strongly suggest that you get
them out of that program and into a real image management program that
saves in a normal format. Programs do not "contain" user files. They
open, create, save and edit data files. An image is a data file.
Programs and data should *always* be separable.

I'm aware that there are a number of photo management programs out
there, especially ones that come with digital cameras, that save files
inside a database or using proprietary formats that few if any other
programs can manage. Such programs are an abomination. However, most of
them probably also permit you to use Save As to save in a normal JPEG
format, and you should do so with all of your images, using the highest
quality settings offered, with the least compression ("optimized" JPEGs
and JPEG compression both tend to reduce the quality of images--and
while you can always change an image to be used in some specific case
where other parameters apply (small file size, for instance) you can
*never* improve the quality of an image once it's been compromised. If
you can describe your situation more fully, we might even be able to
come up with automated or semi-automated methods to get your photos into
more normal formats.

With Roxio Easy CD, you can *try* to install the DirectCD component, but
you should know that the format used will make it less likely that the
CDs created will function on other systems without problems. Personally,
I never install such "direct burn" components (aka "packet writing") and
always burn CDs in more standard formats, as I previously described.
(While we're on the subject, if your Roxio installation includes
TakeTwo, I strongly recommend that you uninstall that component, also.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Hi Gary,
> Will this procedure work if I am trying to back-up a program. I have
been
> reading about the importance or backing up your files and programs. I
want
> to especially back up my entire program that contains my digital
camera
> pictures.
> DD
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Saving files directly to a CD drive in Windows 98 requires special
> > software, like Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD. Both of these (and
other
> > similar devices) are known to behave erratically in Windows 98 (or
any
> > other Windows for that matter.) The better solution is to save files
> > a dedicated folder, then use "normal" CD burning programs to burn
them
> > all in a single session. CD burning software generally supports
burning
> > more than one session to a single CD if you leave the disk "open".
> >
> > If you want further assistance with the situation you have, much
more
> > info is needed, specifically what CD burning software you are using
and
> > whether any "DirectCD" type of component is included.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am trying to back up some files to a CD (Windows 98)
> > > I get this message - Cannot copy_____. Access is denied. Make
sure
> > the
> > > disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently
in
> > use.
> > >
> > > I am using a new CD and the program is not open - HELP

dd

It is Epson Film Factory - what program do you suggest??
DD

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > > Saving files directly to a CD drive in Windows 98 requires special
> > > software, like Roxio's DirectCD or Nero's InCD. Both of these (and
> other
> > > similar devices) are known to behave erratically in Windows 98 (or
> any
> > > other Windows for that matter.) The better solution is to save files
> > > a dedicated folder, then use "normal" CD burning programs to burn
> them
> > > all in a single session. CD burning software generally supports
> burning
> > > more than one session to a single CD if you leave the disk "open".
> > >
> > > If you want further assistance with the situation you have, much
> more
> > > info is needed, specifically what CD burning software you are using
> and
> > > whether any "DirectCD" type of component is included.

Epson Film Factory is a program which imports images of various formats
from various sources and creates a database into which it embeds the
images. Once placed into the database, you can edit the images, and
create many different styles of end product, mostly through printing or
viewing with Film Factory. But unless you have also saved the original
images in some standard image file format, you want to waste no time
Exporting to File any images that you value. Instructions for that
procedure are on page 72 of the PDF manual for version 3.0:
http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/film30/film30u1.pdf

If you have lots of storage space and want to maintain as much of the
original quality as possible, (and if the option is available,) use TIFF
format with no compression. If you want to use a bit less space and
conform to the most easily managed and widely accepted formats, choose
JPEG format with highest quality and least compression.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> It is Epson Film Factory - what program do you suggest??
> DD

dd

Thanks Gary

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Epson Film Factory is a program which imports images of various formats
> from various sources and creates a database into which it embeds the
> images. Once placed into the database, you can edit the images, and
> create many different styles of end product, mostly through printing or
> viewing with Film Factory. But unless you have also saved the original
> images in some standard image file format, you want to waste no time
> Exporting to File any images that you value. Instructions for that
> procedure are on page 72 of the PDF manual for version 3.0:
> http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/film30/film30u1.pdf
>
> If you have lots of storage space and want to maintain as much of the
> original quality as possible, (and if the option is available,) use TIFF
> format with no compression. If you want to use a bit less space and
> conform to the most easily managed and widely accepted formats, choose
> JPEG format with highest quality and least compression.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It is Epson Film Factory - what program do you suggest??
> > DD

dd

Gary,
What software would you recommend for digital pictures. I need one that is
easy to use.
DD

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Epson Film Factory is a program which imports images of various formats
> from various sources and creates a database into which it embeds the
> images. Once placed into the database, you can edit the images, and
> create many different styles of end product, mostly through printing or
> viewing with Film Factory. But unless you have also saved the original
> images in some standard image file format, you want to waste no time
> Exporting to File any images that you value. Instructions for that
> procedure are on page 72 of the PDF manual for version 3.0:
> http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/film30/film30u1.pdf
>
> If you have lots of storage space and want to maintain as much of the
> original quality as possible, (and if the option is available,) use TIFF
> format with no compression. If you want to use a bit less space and
> conform to the most easily managed and widely accepted formats, choose
> JPEG format with highest quality and least compression.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It is Epson Film Factory - what program do you suggest??
> > DD

IrfanView, www.irfanview.com can be a bit intimidating to start with,
but it's free and it's *excellent*! Most people I know use IrfanView at
least sometimes (including me, and I have pretty much every image
editing program made for Windows, in one version or another.) You just
have to take some time to get used to the simple interface and learn to
use it. It looks simple, no eye-candy, but it's a very full-featured,
powerful program. Still, that's true for all programs that are any good.

Don't take this personally, but "idiot-proofing" is for idiots. The more
you let some program decide things for you, the more likely it is that
the program will make the wrong choice. Biggest difference between good
programs and just OK programs is that the good ones have *lots* of
features and procedures that you may or may not ever use. But that's
better than not having a feature available when you need it. Just have
to learn what you need to, and ignore the rest. Another maxim to
remember is: "Good, fast, cheap--Pick two." IrfanView is one of those
rare breeds of software that covers all three categories, and does it
well.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Gary,
> What software would you recommend for digital pictures. I need one
that is
> easy to use.
> DD
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Epson Film Factory is a program which imports images of various
formats
> > from various sources and creates a database into which it embeds the
> > images. Once placed into the database, you can edit the images, and
> > create many different styles of end product, mostly through printing
or
> > viewing with Film Factory. But unless you have also saved the
original
> > images in some standard image file format, you want to waste no time
> > Exporting to File any images that you value. Instructions for that
> > procedure are on page 72 of the PDF manual for version 3.0:
> > http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/film30/film30u1.pdf
> >
> > If you have lots of storage space and want to maintain as much of
the
> > original quality as possible, (and if the option is available,) use
TIFF
> > format with no compression. If you want to use a bit less space and
> > conform to the most easily managed and widely accepted formats,
choose
> > JPEG format with highest quality and least compression.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > It is Epson Film Factory - what program do you suggest??
> > > DD

dd

Which one do I download? I went to the site, but it looks like there are
several options??
DD