you must all DUMP Windows 98 ...

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 19, 2005 4:16:16 AM

IMMEDIATELY !!!!

XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its' drivers
library is MASSIVE.

....and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15 year
old PC" !!!!

regards, Richard

More about : dump windows

March 19, 2005 4:16:17 AM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:16:16 -0000, "RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>IMMEDIATELY !!!!
>
>XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its' drivers
>library is MASSIVE.
>
>...and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
>channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15 year
>old PC" !!!!
>
>regards, Richard

Yes, Sir, Richard! Right Away, Sir, Richard!
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 4:16:17 AM

"RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o tGx$ECLFHA.1620@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> IMMEDIATELY !!!!
>
> XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its'
drivers
> library is MASSIVE.
>
> ...and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
> channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15 year
> old PC" !!!!
>
> regards, Richard

Oh yes, I will upgrade this 233Mhz laptop with 128Mb ram right away. And it
will freeze up like a banana daiquiri!
March 19, 2005 4:16:17 AM

"RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:o tGx$ECLFHA.1620@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> IMMEDIATELY !!!!
>
> XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its'
> drivers library is MASSIVE.
>
> ...and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
> channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15
> year old PC" !!!!

It's whatever trips your trigger. I run both and can do most anything in 98
that I can in XP. Actually, there are some things I can do in 98 that I
*can't* do in XP.
I have lots of customers still running 98 and are happy as can be. Their
machines are too old to support XP and they see no reason to buy new
machines.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous

Anyone who'd recommend PC Chips motherboards has got a screw loose.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> "RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:o tGx$ECLFHA.1620@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
>
> > IMMEDIATELY !!!!
> >
> > XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its'
> > drivers library is MASSIVE.
> >
> > ...and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
> > channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my
15
> > year old PC" !!!!
>
> It's whatever trips your trigger. I run both and can do most anything
in 98
> that I can in XP. Actually, there are some things I can do in 98 that
> *can't* do in XP.
> I have lots of customers still running 98 and are happy as can be.
Their
> machines are too old to support XP and they see no reason to buy new
> machines.
>
> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your
mother. ---
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 7:06:21 AM

You are still in just an intermediate stage of XP-poisoning, if you can
still type.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o tGx$ECLFHA.1620@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| IMMEDIATELY !!!!
|
| XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its'
drivers
| library is MASSIVE.
|
| ...and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
| channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15
year
| old PC" !!!!
|
| regards, Richard

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:46:35 AM

Will we ever learn.
First it was windows, you can run more than one app at time. Yet, most of
still ran one. Our first taste of eye candy.
Then there were the first two half-broke versions of windows 95. Then some
real fixes with versions B and C. And, we could run 32 bit applications.
Oooohh.
Windows 98, and its demagogue godsend, Windows 98SE came along. Lots more
eye candy.
Windows Millenium edition, not many people use it except for my daughter.
Eye candy galore, and, it can fix itself via a thing called restore.
Meanwhile, the business side had its taste of NT and its 4 fixes or Service
Packs. Many still use it cause it was hard to break. Windows 2000 with
lots of eye candy, and similar to Win98 in appearance and user operation.
Friendly they said. But, its had to be fixed 4 times too.

Now, a super-bloated operating system comes along in two versions called XP.
One for us'ns that stay at home, and us'ns that work in its environment.
Its been fixed twice. Not due to the fact it was broke, but because it was
easy to low-level access. Easy to break, easy to manipulate by outsiders.
Sure has a purty screen. Fixes itself they say. But, you better have a
good PC. It will eat your RAM for lunch, and your hard drive for supper.

Thing is, we're still communicating, writing memos, documents and so forth
in basically the same way. Its just a bit easier to do since leaving an all
ms-dos environment.

Now, you want me to spend my hard-earned money on a very IFFY motherboard.
Pay an even higher pittance to Bill Gates for this?

Windows 98 was never fixed, as it was never broken. It was rewritten to
support many new-fangled hardware. As was ME. ME was also a test-bed for
some of XP's stuff.

A PC built in 1990 (do the math) was very expensive at the time. Its
operating system and files were relatively small, read small. There was
little way for entry and places for a virus to hide. Isn't "progress"
wonderful?
"RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o tGx$ECLFHA.1620@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> IMMEDIATELY !!!!
>
> XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its'
drivers
> library is MASSIVE.
>
> ...and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
> channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15 year
> old PC" !!!!
>
> regards, Richard

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:44:18 AM

In the process of doing!!!!

Ivan Wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:16:16 -0000, "RJK" notatospam@hotmail.com wrote:
> -
> IMMEDIATELY !!!!
>
> XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its'
> drivers
> library is MASSIVE.
>
> ...and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
> channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15
> year
> old PC" !!!!
>
> regards, Richard
> -
> Yes, Sir, Richard! Right Away, Sir, Richard!

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
Anonymous

RJK wrote:
> IMMEDIATELY !!!!
>
> XP is MUCH more robust !

The Titanic was also much more robust.

...and MUCH more up to date !

Logically, anything in the computer world made a few years after its
predecessor should be "MUCH more up to date". Thanks for pointing that out.

....and its' drivers
> library is MASSIVE.

Yeah, great. I normally need to install drivers several times a day on
the same machine, so that is a big help. I'm certain the drivers in the
XP database are "MUCH more up to date" than anything the manufacturer
has to offer, so this is doubly good.

> ...and with PChips motherboards going for £27,

Pure junk.

(admittedly not dual
> channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15 year
> old PC" !!!!

Yep. Just replace your motherboard and you're all set. RAM, CPU, et al,
is upgraded magically when you install XP. It will even transform your
ATA 66 hard drive into ATA 133 or even SATA if your new motherboard
supports it.
March 19, 2005 12:43:58 PM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:16:16 -0000, "RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>IMMEDIATELY !!!!
>
>XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its' drivers
>library is MASSIVE.
>
>...and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
>channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15 year
>old PC" !!!!
>
>regards, Richard

Hey Richard:

May we hear your final arguments?
Surely, you haven't changed your mind?

Ivan
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:31:00 PM

RJK wrote:

> IMMEDIATELY !!!!
>
> XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its' drivers
> library is MASSIVE.
>
> ...and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
> channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15 year
> old PC" !!!!
>
> regards, Richard

Don't forget to buy a new case and power supply. Most late model
motherboards have a completely different motherboard power connector and
power switch settup. Then there's new RAM because the memory slots had
to be made to a new specification. Check that keyboard, because the new
motherboard will probably have the smaller PS2 style keyboard port. Note
that adaptors aren't much less expensive than a new generic keyboard. If
you still need dialup internet access OR fax you may need a new modem,
since ISA slots aren't available on many late model motherboards.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 3:40:45 AM

....you posted a sensible reply to my post ! ...which was intended to be
mild flame !

....even *** "bit" with his snooty comment about PcChips motherboards !

regards, Richard

"RobertVA" <Robert_c72nospam@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> RJK wrote:
>
>> IMMEDIATELY !!!!
>>
>> XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its'
>> drivers library is MASSIVE.
>>
>> ...and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
>> channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15
>> year old PC" !!!!
>>
>> regards, Richard
> Don't forget to buy a new case and power supply. Most late model
> motherboards have a completely different motherboard power connector and
> power switch settup. Then there's new RAM because the memory slots had to
> be made to a new specification. Check that keyboard, because the new
> motherboard will probably have the smaller PS2 style keyboard port. Note
> that adaptors aren't much less expensive than a new generic keyboard. If
> you still need dialup internet access OR fax you may need a new modem,
> since ISA slots aren't available on many late model motherboards.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 3:50:38 AM

....you obviously don't work on lots of other peoples machines. re: your
stupid comment "Yeah, great. I normally need to install drivers several
times a day on the same machine,"

I like to keep my own own machine up to date regarding drivers, most
"ordinary" computer users don't even know how to do this. When installing
a customers machine from scratch, it helps to have XP install drivers from
it's library that can later be updated. ie. XP drivers database can save a
lot of time.

PcChips motherboards end up in millions of home PC's, and they work quite
well! To turn your nose up at them indicates that you're an utter a*****e
just like Gary S Terhune !

regards, Richard

"Mostly Me (MM)" <fakename@fakeisp.org> wrote in message
news:o MFUXuILFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> RJK wrote:
>> IMMEDIATELY !!!!
>>
>> XP is MUCH more robust !
>
> The Titanic was also much more robust.
>
> ...and MUCH more up to date !
>
> Logically, anything in the computer world made a few years after its
> predecessor should be "MUCH more up to date". Thanks for pointing that
> out.
>
> ...and its' drivers
>> library is MASSIVE.
>
> Yeah, great. I normally need to install drivers several times a day on the
> same machine, so that is a big help. I'm certain the drivers in the XP
> database are "MUCH more up to date" than anything the manufacturer has to
> offer, so this is doubly good.
>

>> ...and with PChips motherboards going for £27,
>
> Pure junk.
>
> (admittedly not dual
>> channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15
>> year old PC" !!!!
>
> Yep. Just replace your motherboard and you're all set. RAM, CPU, et al, is
> upgraded magically when you install XP. It will even transform your ATA 66
> hard drive into ATA 133 or even SATA if your new motherboard supports it.

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 3:50:39 AM

"RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ...you obviously don't work on lots of other peoples machines. re: your
> stupid comment "Yeah, great. I normally need to install drivers several times
> a day on the same machine,"

That could be the faux pax of the day!

> I like to keep my own own machine up to date regarding drivers, most
> "ordinary" computer users don't even know how to do this. When installing a
> customers machine from scratch, it helps to have XP install drivers from it's
> library that can later be updated. ie. XP drivers database can save a lot of
> time.

If you would please define "ordinary computer users", perhaps we could get t
the crux of it!

Installing drivers only because they are at hand and updateable later is IMO
wrong. Having the proper updated drivers on hand is proper, especially when it
comes to anothers machine. Normally when I install a "machine form scratch" as
you put it, although I'll change it to "build and install an OS", I copy the
install files for the OS and necessary drivers to the hard drive first. As for
XP's driver library, I find it no larger than any other OS for it's time and the
drivers are outdated.
My Q is: Why bother installing drivers twice for the same device on a simple
install? Do it once with updated drivers and your set. There is no need to
continually update drivers when all is functioning properly for the simple
minded reason of: "I like to keep my drivers updated."

> PcChips motherboards end up in millions of home PC's, and they work quite
> well! To turn your nose up at them indicates that you're an utter a*****e
> just like Gary S Terhune !

Have never experienced that Mobo so I won't comment on it, but I will offer MM
and Gary a Cleanex.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 7:18:38 AM

"RobertVA" <Robert_c72nospam@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> RJK wrote:
>
> > IMMEDIATELY !!!!
> >
> > XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its'
drivers
> > library is MASSIVE.
> >
> > ...and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
> > channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15
year
> > old PC" !!!!
> >
> > regards, Richard
> >

> Don't forget to buy a new case and power supply. Most late model
> motherboards have a completely different motherboard power connector and
> power switch settup. Then there's new RAM because the memory slots had
> to be made to a new specification. Check that keyboard, because the new
> motherboard will probably have the smaller PS2 style keyboard port. Note
> that adaptors aren't much less expensive than a new generic keyboard. If
> you still need dialup internet access OR fax you may need a new modem,
> since ISA slots aren't available on many late model motherboards.

Nothng on a 1990 PC will work on today's PCs. You need a new PC, not just a
motherboard period. Well, maybe the AC cord may work...
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 7:22:11 AM

I understand where Gary is coming from. PC Chips motherboards have had a
bad rap from custom PC builders, and newbie builders. They were problematic
at best, inop was the norm. That was then, not sure about now.
> ...you posted a sensible reply to my post ! ...which was intended to be
> mild flame !
>
> ...even *** "bit" with his snooty comment about PcChips motherboards !
>
> regards, Richard
>

> "RobertVA" <Robert_c72nospam@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> > RJK wrote:
> >
> >> IMMEDIATELY !!!!
> >>
> >> XP is MUCH more robust ! ...and MUCH more up to date ! ...and its'
> >> drivers library is MASSIVE.
> >>
> >> ...and with PChips motherboards going for £27, (admittedly not dual
> >> channel), there is no such thing as, "I can't afford to replace my 15
> >> year old PC" !!!!
> >>
> >> regards, Richard
> > Don't forget to buy a new case and power supply. Most late model
> > motherboards have a completely different motherboard power connector and
> > power switch settup. Then there's new RAM because the memory slots had
> > be made to a new specification. Check that keyboard, because the new
> > motherboard will probably have the smaller PS2 style keyboard port. Note
> > that adaptors aren't much less expensive than a new generic keyboard. If
> > you still need dialup internet access OR fax you may need a new modem,
> > since ISA slots aren't available on many late model motherboards.

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:52:05 AM

RJK wrote:
> ...you obviously don't work on lots of other peoples machines. re: your
> stupid comment "Yeah, great. I normally need to install drivers several
> times a day on the same machine,"

I'm trying not to laugh at you. You totally missed the point. But, yes,
I do work on other's machines.

> I like to keep my own own machine up to date regarding drivers, most
> "ordinary" computer users don't even know how to do this. When installing
> a customers machine from scratch, it helps to have XP install drivers from
> it's library that can later be updated. ie. XP drivers database can save a
> lot of time.

Now I am laughing at you, and not with you. How does installing obsolete
drivers before installing current ones "help"?
See, when building a machine from scratch, I have this bad habit of
making sure I have the latest, known good drivers available to install
right away. Silly me, I just don't see the point of doing things twice.

> PcChips motherboards end up in millions of home PC's, and they work quite
> well! To turn your nose up at them indicates that you're an utter a*****e
> just like Gary S Terhune !

:-P AH...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! All I can say is that you paid way too much
for that motherboard.

And for the record, XP is a decent OS and I don't advocate the "long
live 98" philosophy.

But, thanks for the laughs.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 2:21:52 PM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:49:54 -0600, "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake>
wrote:

>> ...you obviously don't work on lots of other peoples machines. re: your
>> stupid comment "Yeah, great. I normally need to install drivers several times
>> a day on the same machine,"
>
>That could be the faux pax of the day!

<...>

Brian,

I think, no need to argue with troll.

And the trolling is in every word of the original post -- not saying
about the other.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz

No argument intended, only edumaction. Sum uf dem dar foks need sum lern'n.

I realise RJK is a lost soul and is in need of attention, so's tension he got.

--

!