fresh install

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 18, 2005 8:55:04 PM

Hello
heres the prob every time i try to install a fresh win98 on my ibm pc it
goes to the windows set up and just restarts out of the blue... some people
told me its the hd problems but iam not sure if i should waste $70 on a new
one just to find out tats not the problem... i meen if its ram i can use my
old sticks or some other hardwere i can replace it i just need to know what
it is...
its no errors just restarts

More about : fresh install

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:28:19 AM

To rule out the drive, go to the manufacturers site and download/run their disk
diagnostic test.

What's the purpose for reinstalling?
Are you over-installing or installing a on a formatted drive?

If the machine was rebooting with the prior installation, your most likely
problem is hardware/heat related. Check that your fans are operating properly
and clean out excessive dust. Also reseat the RAM, check the power supply and
look for leaking capacitors on the mobo.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> heres the prob every time i try to install a fresh win98 on my ibm pc it
> goes to the windows set up and just restarts out of the blue... some people
> told me its the hd problems but iam not sure if i should waste $70 on a new
> one just to find out tats not the problem... i meen if its ram i can use my
> old sticks or some other hardwere i can replace it i just need to know what
> it is...
> its no errors just restarts
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:14:45 AM

From this distance, who can tell why it's restarting? It could be the hard
drive, it could be bad memory modules, it could be a bad power supply, or it
could be a failing or failed cooling fan in the system ... among others.

* In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
* http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> heres the prob every time i try to install a fresh win98 on my ibm pc it
> goes to the windows set up and just restarts out of the blue... some
> people
> told me its the hd problems but iam not sure if i should waste $70 on a
> new
> one just to find out tats not the problem... i meen if its ram i can use
> my
> old sticks or some other hardwere i can replace it i just need to know
> what
> it is...
> its no errors just restarts
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:10:09 AM

Agreed. Since its an IBM, its probably on its last leg due to its age.

news:o Cv%23voDLFHA.572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...