Window 98 Lockup

I am trying to help a friend with her computer and when I first started
working on it, it had a parasite "newdotnet" and was trying to load a file
it requiored and couldn't and caused RINDLL to fail. The system would lockup
while trying to access the hard drive. I followed the information John John
gave me which eliminated that parasite, but for some reason the system still
lockups while it is loading up in normal mode (all drivers being loaded) but
seems to function (without lockingup) in safe mode... can some one please
give me a hint on what I might be looking for to stop it from locking up...
what do I need to try to make it run like it used to? Help!

RobertBodling@yahoo.com
1 answer Last reply
More about window lockup

    Safe Mode does the following:
    (a) bypasses config.sys and autoexec.bat
    (b) prevents programs from starting automatically (from win.ini
    or the startup folder)
    (c) uses standard VGA video
    (d) prevents a network from being started
    (e) disables protected mode device drivers (those listed in
    Device Manager)
    (f) bypasses the [boot] and [386Enh] sections of system.ini
    For more details, see document 122051 in the Microsoft KnowledgeBase.

    Since Safe Mode makes the problem go away, you can try tests from the
    list below to pin down the cause of the problem. For more elaborate
    instructions, see document 156126 in the KnowledgeBase, which explains
    how to do troubleshooting in Safe Mode.

    With Windows 98, you can use MSConfig to help you run the tests below.

    1. Change the video driver to Microsoft's Standard Display Adapter
    (VGA). Restart Windows and test.

    2. Rename the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat to Config.sss and
    Autoexec.bbb, or edit them so that the only things loading are
    absolutely necessary for the computer to run. The latter items might
    be a SCSI driver for the harddrive, or disk management software for an
    EIDE drive. Deactivate EVERYTHING else by putting REM in front of
    that line. Reboot the computer and test.

    3. Remove EVERYTHING from the Start Menu/Startup folder by dragging
    their icons onto the desktop. Also disable or uninstall all utilities
    that are running TSR (such as Norton Navigator, SoftRam or Macafee
    AV). Restart Windows and test.

    4. Rename the Win.ini and System.ini to Win.iii and System.iii. Then
    make a copy of System.cb and name it System.ini. Do not rename
    System.cb itself. Edit the new System.ini as follows: Add
    device=*vmd
    to the [386Enh] section, and add
    drivers=mmsystem.dll
    mouse.drv=mouse.drv
    to the [boot] section. Restart Windows. You probably will have no
    mouse so you'll have to use keystrokes to do the following. Go into
    Device Manager and select the mouse (which will have a yellow
    exclamation point). Click "Remove." Again, restart Windows. Windows
    should find the mouse and install software for it. Test.

    5. With Windows 98, run the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and
    enter "sfc".

    6. Rename the current Windows folder (directory). Then install
    Win95/98 to a new, empty folder. Test. If problem does not occur, it
    was caused by something in the old installation. I recommend that you
    keep this new installation and reinstall your Windows applications.

    When you reinstall applications, install Windows applications that
    were written for Win95/98 or WinNT but do not install older
    applications that were written for Windows 3.x. Install only one
    application at a time and test the system thoroughly before installing
    another application. Before you install and application, make a system
    snapshot with a program such as ConfigSafe; this will allow you to
    revert to the previous situation if (when) you install an application
    that causes trouble. With Win98, it is also possible to run "ScanReg
    /Backup" before you install an application, which allows you to
    restore the Registry if (when) you install an application that causes
    trouble. However, it is safer to make a complete system backup and
    recovery with ConfigSafe or a similar product.

    The following article explains how to install into a new folder:

    How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/02.asp

    Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.

    Bill Starbuck (MVP)

Windows