Windows 98 lockup

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 19, 2005 9:19:10 AM

I am trying to help a friend with her computer and when I first started
working on it, it had a parasite "newdotnet" and was trying to load a file
it requiored and couldn't and caused RINDLL to fail. The system would lockup
while trying to access the hard drive. I followed the information John John
gave me which eliminated that parasite, but for some reason the system still
lockups while it is loading up in normal mode (all drivers being loaded) but
seems to function (without lockingup) in safe mode... can some one please
give me a hint on what I might be looking for to stop it from locking up...
what do I need to try to make it run like it used to? Help!

RobertBodling@yahoo.com

More about : windows lockup

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 9:19:11 AM

(Replied NG and Email. Are you not seeing the answers to your posts,
Robert? It is not customary to reply to email addresses, but I am doing
so in case you can't see answers in the newsgroup. Please, if possible,
reply to the newsgroup, not my personal email.)

You seem to have not completely cleared *all* malware from the system in
question. See the article in my signature on Security. Since you can't
get online with the problem system, you'll have to download the various
utilities I recommend to a working machine and burn them to CD for
transport to the problem machine. Be sure to download all updates for
the utilities, also--antivirus definitions, etc.

Also, check the other article in my signature for hints on using
MSCONFIG, in this case, you want to disable optional startup items using
MSCONFIG in Safe Mode, then try starting in Normal Mode. One or more
items in the Startup queue may be what's fouling things up.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

!