Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My system date is having problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:43:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Everytime i switch on my pc, the date is backdated to 1997, the manufactured
date stored in the cmos. I thought my cmos batery was weak so changed it to a
new one.The problem still exists.Please help!

More about : system date problem

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:49:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Are you sure the new battery is good?

Once you reinstall the battery, you usually need to go into BIOS and
check settings, then Save them. Until then, it will assume that
"default" configuration rules. No, changing the date in Windows will not
necessarily fix this. Considering the fact that default BIOS settings
aren't usually optimal, you probably need to change other things in
BIOS, as well. Some indication of your system's brand and model will
help if you have any further questions.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"Exotic" <Exotic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:400F2011-154E-4944-BE2C-84E5538C1E5F@microsoft.com...
> Everytime i switch on my pc, the date is backdated to 1997, the
manufactured
> date stored in the cmos. I thought my cmos batery was weak so changed
it to a
> new one.The problem still exists.Please help!
March 19, 2005 10:56:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

In news:uijApmHLFHA.2716@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Gary S. Terhune <grystnews@mvps.org> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> Are you sure the new battery is good?
>
> Once you reinstall the battery, you usually need to go into BIOS and
> check settings, then Save them. Until then, it will assume that
> "default" configuration rules. No, changing the date in Windows will
> not necessarily fix this. Considering the fact that default BIOS
> settings aren't usually optimal, you probably need to change other
> things in BIOS, as well. Some indication of your system's brand and
> model will help if you have any further questions.

Was it a sudden or a gradual loss of time? If the time just suddenly stopped
working then you're in good hands and the above is 100% correct. If the time
loss was gradual you're looking at a potentially more devastating problem
with your motherboard where your RTC (real time clock or real time chip
depending on who you're talking to) could have gone South for the Winter.

Galen
--
Signature changed for a moment of silence.
Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
Related resources
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:56:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Fatalist! <g>

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:e0sZJMILFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> In news:uijApmHLFHA.2716@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Gary S. Terhune <grystnews@mvps.org> had this to say:
>
> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
>
> > Are you sure the new battery is good?
> >
> > Once you reinstall the battery, you usually need to go into BIOS and
> > check settings, then Save them. Until then, it will assume that
> > "default" configuration rules. No, changing the date in Windows will
> > not necessarily fix this. Considering the fact that default BIOS
> > settings aren't usually optimal, you probably need to change other
> > things in BIOS, as well. Some indication of your system's brand and
> > model will help if you have any further questions.
>
> Was it a sudden or a gradual loss of time? If the time just suddenly
stopped
> working then you're in good hands and the above is 100% correct. If
the time
> loss was gradual you're looking at a potentially more devastating
problem
> with your motherboard where your RTC (real time clock or real time
chip
> depending on who you're talking to) could have gone South for the
Winter.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
>
>
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:56:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Fatalist! <g>
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>
> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:e0sZJMILFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > In news:uijApmHLFHA.2716@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> > Gary S. Terhune <grystnews@mvps.org> had this to say:
> >
> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
> >
> > > Are you sure the new battery is good?
> > >
> > > Once you reinstall the battery, you usually need to go into BIOS and
> > > check settings, then Save them. Until then, it will assume that
> > > "default" configuration rules. No, changing the date in Windows will
> > > not necessarily fix this. Considering the fact that default BIOS
> > > settings aren't usually optimal, you probably need to change other
> > > things in BIOS, as well. Some indication of your system's brand and
> > > model will help if you have any further questions.
> >
> > Was it a sudden or a gradual loss of time? If the time just suddenly
> stopped
> > working then you're in good hands and the above is 100% correct. If
> the time
> > loss was gradual you're looking at a potentially more devastating
> problem
> > with your motherboard where your RTC (real time clock or real time
> chip
> > depending on who you're talking to) could have gone South for the
> Winter.
> >
> > Galen
> > --
> > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
> >
> >
>
> Thanks for your help guys! I did go back BIOS and changed some settings and saved it.The current date will remain the whole day but it will be back to 1997 when i switch it again early in the morning next day. Sometimes it give message "Checksum error". I will have to do the same thing again that is going back to BIOS and change some settings. What's wrong here?Any suggestion?
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:13:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Exotic" <Exotic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2DCC1C2-4042-4D02-B20D-B33D460DEAE3@microsoft.com...
>> > Gary S. Terhune <grystnews@mvps.org> had this to say:
>> >
>> >
>> > > Are you sure the new battery is good?
>> > >
>
>>
>Thanks for your help guys! I did go back BIOS and changed some settings and
>saved it.The current date will remain the whole day but it will be back to 1997
>when i switch it again early in the morning next day. Sometimes it give message
>"Checksum error". I will have to do the same thing again that is going back to
>BIOS and change some settings. What's wrong here?Any suggestion?

Try another battery, and check the contacts. Batteries have been known to be
"bad" when new.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:47:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Try setting the year to 1999, then reboot. If the computer can handle 1999, but
not 2005, you may have to download a BIOS update from the motherboard
manufacturer.

http://www.wimsbios.com

Ben

"Exotic" <Exotic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:400F2011-154E-4944-BE2C-84E5538C1E5F@microsoft.com...
> Everytime i switch on my pc, the date is backdated to 1997, the manufactured
> date stored in the cmos. I thought my cmos batery was weak so changed it to a
> new one.The problem still exists.Please help!
March 19, 2005 4:45:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

In news:ebrAGSILFHA.2716@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Gary S. Terhune <grystnews@mvps.org> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> Fatalist! <g>

Realist <g>

It's looking like it might be the case from the newer posts. I have it
marked to watch the outcome. Curiousity you know... Whilst I root for the
battery I fear the RTC the most. '97 was a long time ago and they burn out
eventually.

Galen

--
Signature changed for a moment of silence.
Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 4:45:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I'll be here, too, so no "I told you so!" remarks, please. I'll get it
over with: "Yeah, looks like you're right."

It's already been a trying day and it's only half over. Started at
midnight and will likely end around midnight, too. Besides doing a
mailer to a few thousand recipients (on a very slow printer, letter and
envelopes), I've managed to escalate the KB891711 issue to someone who
might actually be able to do something about it. And, of course, there's
this week's continuing chore: Using Freehand to trace aerial photos to
make a map of the greater Truckee, CA region and detailed maps of some
towns therein. Gonna go blind soon, I'm afraid.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uv1JVSLLFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> In news:ebrAGSILFHA.2716@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Gary S. Terhune <grystnews@mvps.org> had this to say:
>
> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
>
> > Fatalist! <g>
>
> Realist <g>
>
> It's looking like it might be the case from the newer posts. I have it
> marked to watch the outcome. Curiousity you know... Whilst I root for
the
> battery I fear the RTC the most. '97 was a long time ago and they burn
out
> eventually.
>
> Galen
>
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
>
>
March 19, 2005 6:22:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

In news:uH7h0kLLFHA.656@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Gary S. Terhune <grystnews@mvps.org> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> I'll be here, too, so no "I told you so!" remarks, please. I'll get it
> over with: "Yeah, looks like you're right."
>
> It's already been a trying day and it's only half over. Started at
> midnight and will likely end around midnight, too. Besides doing a
> mailer to a few thousand recipients (on a very slow printer, letter
> and envelopes), I've managed to escalate the KB891711 issue to
> someone who might actually be able to do something about it. And, of
> course, there's this week's continuing chore: Using Freehand to trace
> aerial photos to make a map of the greater Truckee, CA region and
> detailed maps of some towns therein. Gonna go blind soon, I'm afraid.

Talk about fatalist? I'm half tempted to ask, "Why?"

Good job on the KB891711 though. I'm sure that, if the result is positive,
there will be many happier people about.

Galen

--
Signature changed for a moment of silence.
Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:22:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uzNkmFMLFHA.656@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Talk about fatalist? I'm half tempted to ask, "Why?"

One word: "Money".

Wife and I publish localized directories, "Guides to Services and
Attractions". Pamphlet size (like landscape 8x10 folded), full color,
covers with UV protection, distributed by advertisers and in California
Welcome Centers, Chambers of Commerce, etc., free of charge (advertising
supported), published annually. *The* number one selling point is my
maps. Our first editions hadn't been out for more than a couple of
months before you saw them on the dashboards of every emergency vehicle
in the county.

Going into our fourth year and we're finally posting in the black.

> Good job on the KB891711 though. I'm sure that, if the result is
positive,
> there will be many happier people about.

Well, we can hope, anyway.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 7:41:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

First, try another battery....the one you bought may be bad, as Gary mentioned.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Exotic" <Exotic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B2DCC1C2-4042-4D02-B20D-B33D460DEAE3@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Thanks for your help guys! I did go back BIOS and changed some settings and
saved it.The current date will remain the whole day but it will be back to 1997 when
i switch it again early in the morning next day. Sometimes it give message "Checksum
error". I will have to do the same thing again that is going back to BIOS and change
some settings. What's wrong here?Any suggestion?
March 19, 2005 9:43:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

In news:uLuNRPMLFHA.2492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Gary S. Terhune <grystnews@mvps.org> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> One word: "Money".
>
> Wife and I publish localized directories, "Guides to Services and
> Attractions". Pamphlet size (like landscape 8x10 folded), full color,
> covers with UV protection, distributed by advertisers and in
> California Welcome Centers, Chambers of Commerce, etc., free of
> charge (advertising supported), published annually. *The* number one
> selling point is my maps. Our first editions hadn't been out for more
> than a couple of months before you saw them on the dashboards of
> every emergency vehicle in the county.
>
> Going into our fourth year and we're finally posting in the black.
>
>> Good job on the KB891711 though. I'm sure that, if the result is
>> positive, there will be many happier people about.
>
> Well, we can hope, anyway.

You are already well aware of my opinions of the great Cali ;)  The maps
sound interesting actually but I can be honest and tell you that I'd
absolutely never ever have a single use for them in my life. Having found a
niche and a profit you're in good shape though. I'm suitably impressed.

Galen

--
Signature changed for a moment of silence.
Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 9:43:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Nothing wrong with California that a really good earthquake couldn't
fix, <eg>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23GOw81NLFHA.2648@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> In news:uLuNRPMLFHA.2492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Gary S. Terhune <grystnews@mvps.org> had this to say:
>
> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
>
> > One word: "Money".
> >
> > Wife and I publish localized directories, "Guides to Services and
> > Attractions". Pamphlet size (like landscape 8x10 folded), full
color,
> > covers with UV protection, distributed by advertisers and in
> > California Welcome Centers, Chambers of Commerce, etc., free of
> > charge (advertising supported), published annually. *The* number one
> > selling point is my maps. Our first editions hadn't been out for
more
> > than a couple of months before you saw them on the dashboards of
> > every emergency vehicle in the county.
> >
> > Going into our fourth year and we're finally posting in the black.
> >
> >> Good job on the KB891711 though. I'm sure that, if the result is
> >> positive, there will be many happier people about.
> >
> > Well, we can hope, anyway.
>
> You are already well aware of my opinions of the great Cali ;)  The
maps
> sound interesting actually but I can be honest and tell you that I'd
> absolutely never ever have a single use for them in my life. Having
found a
> niche and a profit you're in good shape though. I'm suitably
impressed.
>
> Galen
>
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
>
>
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 3:16:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> You are already well aware of my opinions of the great Cali ;)  The maps
> sound interesting actually but I can be honest and tell you that I'd
> absolutely never ever have a single use for them in my life. Having found a
> niche and a profit you're in good shape though. I'm suitably impressed.

Either you're single or you gag your wife before setting off on a venture!<WG>


--

Brian A.

Conflicts start where information lacks.
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
March 20, 2005 4:49:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

In news:efbAkRRLFHA.724@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Brian A. <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> You are already well aware of my opinions of the great Cali ;)  The
>> maps sound interesting actually but I can be honest and tell you
>> that I'd absolutely never ever have a single use for them in my
>> life. Having found a niche and a profit you're in good shape though.
>> I'm suitably impressed.
>
> Either you're single or you gag your wife before setting off on a
> venture!<WG>

Or get pasted by a Jeep ;)  Long story... Too long in fact...

Galen
--
Signature changed for a moment of silence.
Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
March 20, 2005 4:50:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

In news:eDQCR7NLFHA.3104@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Gary S. Terhune <grystnews@mvps.org> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> Nothing wrong with California that a really good earthquake couldn't
> fix, <eg>.

Or two :) 

Galen

--
Signature changed for a moment of silence.
Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:39:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Exotic wrote:

>> Thanks for your help guys! I did go back BIOS and changed some
>> settings and saved it.The current date will remain the whole day
>> but it will be back to 1997 when i switch it again early in the
>> morning next day. Sometimes it give message "Checksum error". I
>> will have to do the same thing again that is going back to BIOS and
>> change some settings. What's wrong here?Any suggestion?


OK, slowly.
After bootup you set the date in BIOS which reports wrong date.
Q?) Is the BIOS setup remembering other settings like hard disk
geometry, booting sequence, virus detection (enabled/disabled) and so on?
If Yes then it is NOT the BIOS memory battery.
Some early clock "chips", if you can call them this, were encased in
plastic casing which included a 10mm lithium button battery to keep the
clock ticking. So if this battery went "fifen" the clock reverts to zero
when you switch the box off for the night and the poor BIOS on wake-up
reports the earliest date included in its database.
_For experts only_ This chip can be lifted from motherboard, the casing
opened (hard and patient work) and the battery un/and/re-soldered.

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 2:14:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Inline, below....
"Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
news:bN9%d.416$Zn.25661@news.optus.net.au...
> Exotic wrote:
>
> >> Thanks for your help guys! I did go back BIOS and changed some
> >> settings and saved it.The current date will remain the whole day
> >> but it will be back to 1997 when i switch it again early in the
> >> morning next day. Sometimes it give message "Checksum error". I
> >> will have to do the same thing again that is going back to BIOS and
> >> change some settings. What's wrong here?Any suggestion?
>
>
> OK, slowly.
> After bootup you set the date in BIOS which reports wrong date.
> Q?) Is the BIOS setup remembering other settings like hard disk
> geometry, booting sequence, virus detection (enabled/disabled) and so on?
> If Yes then it is NOT the BIOS memory battery.
> Some early clock "chips", if you can call them this, were encased in
> plastic casing which included a 10mm lithium button battery to keep the
> clock ticking. So if this battery went "fifen" the clock reverts to zero
> when you switch the box off for the night and the poor BIOS on wake-up
> reports the earliest date included in its database.

Stanislaw,
If it were the clock-only battery as you mention (I have some of those systems
here), she would not be getting the CHECKSUM errors she reports.

> _For experts only_ This chip can be lifted from motherboard, the casing
> opened (hard and patient work) and the battery un/and/re-soldered.

"Hard and patient" is putting it mildly! ;-)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 2:48:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:elfUgfWLFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Inline, below....
> "Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
> news:bN9%d.416$Zn.25661@news.optus.net.au...

>> >> Thanks for your help guys! I did go back BIOS and changed some
>> >> settings and saved it.The current date will remain the whole day
>> >> but it will be back to 1997 when i switch it again early in the
>> >> morning next day. Sometimes it give message "Checksum error". I
>> >> will have to do the same thing again that is going back to BIOS and
>> >> change some settings. What's wrong here?Any suggestion?
>>
>>
>> OK, slowly.
>> After bootup you set the date in BIOS which reports wrong date.
>> Q?) Is the BIOS setup remembering other settings like hard disk
>> geometry, booting sequence, virus detection (enabled/disabled) and so on?
>> If Yes then it is NOT the BIOS memory battery.
>> Some early clock "chips", if you can call them this, were encased in
>> plastic casing which included a 10mm lithium button battery to keep the
>> clock ticking. So if this battery went "fifen" the clock reverts to zero
>> when you switch the box off for the night and the poor BIOS on wake-up
>> reports the earliest date included in its database.
>
> Stanislaw,
> If it were the clock-only battery as you mention (I have some of those systems
> here), she would not be getting the CHECKSUM errors she reports.

Also, the clock, no matter what battery powers it, wouldn't be part of
a checksum, since it is variable..


>> _For experts only_ This chip can be lifted from motherboard, the casing
>> opened (hard and patient work) and the battery un/and/re-soldered.
>
> "Hard and patient" is putting it mildly! ;-)

I ran into one of these recently on an old Compaq.. who the hell
designed that!
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 3:00:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
news:%23c3WmyWLFHA.3832@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
news:elfUgfWLFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Inline, below....
> > "Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message
> > news:bN9%d.416$Zn.25661@news.optus.net.au...
>
> >> >> Thanks for your help guys! I did go back BIOS and changed some
> >> >> settings and saved it.The current date will remain the whole day
> >> >> but it will be back to 1997 when i switch it again early in the
> >> >> morning next day. Sometimes it give message "Checksum error". I
> >> >> will have to do the same thing again that is going back to BIOS and
> >> >> change some settings. What's wrong here?Any suggestion?
> >>
> >>
> >> OK, slowly.
> >> After bootup you set the date in BIOS which reports wrong date.
> >> Q?) Is the BIOS setup remembering other settings like hard disk
> >> geometry, booting sequence, virus detection (enabled/disabled) and so on?
> >> If Yes then it is NOT the BIOS memory battery.
> >> Some early clock "chips", if you can call them this, were encased in
> >> plastic casing which included a 10mm lithium button battery to keep the
> >> clock ticking. So if this battery went "fifen" the clock reverts to zero
> >> when you switch the box off for the night and the poor BIOS on wake-up
> >> reports the earliest date included in its database.
> >
> > Stanislaw,
> > If it were the clock-only battery as you mention (I have some of those systems
> > here), she would not be getting the CHECKSUM errors she reports.
>
> Also, the clock, no matter what battery powers it, wouldn't be part of
> a checksum, since it is variable..
>
>
> >> _For experts only_ This chip can be lifted from motherboard, the casing
> >> opened (hard and patient work) and the battery un/and/re-soldered.
> >
> > "Hard and patient" is putting it mildly! ;-)
>
> I ran into one of these recently on an old Compaq.. who the hell
> designed that!

Hopefully someone who is no longer alive....to save me the trouble. <eg>

....glen
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:43:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I tried another battery today. It said batery bad,checksum error so i changed
some settings(as it requested me to do it so) but at 1st it went back to year
1997. I need to restart then i managed to change the date to current. Was
this a proof that it was not the battery problem? Or something wrong with the
motherboard?

"Ben Myers" wrote:

> Try setting the year to 1999, then reboot. If the computer can handle 1999, but
> not 2005, you may have to download a BIOS update from the motherboard
> manufacturer.
>
> http://www.wimsbios.com
>
> Ben
>
> "Exotic" <Exotic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:400F2011-154E-4944-BE2C-84E5538C1E5F@microsoft.com...
> > Everytime i switch on my pc, the date is backdated to 1997, the manufactured
> > date stored in the cmos. I thought my cmos batery was weak so changed it to a
> > new one.The problem still exists.Please help!
>
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:10:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Is it now holding the date properly, even after a cold start?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"Exotic" <Exotic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5819FBCD-792C-4884-911A-F6396B37A68A@microsoft.com...
> I tried another battery today. It said batery bad,checksum error so i
changed
> some settings(as it requested me to do it so) but at 1st it went back
to year
> 1997. I need to restart then i managed to change the date to current.
Was
> this a proof that it was not the battery problem? Or something wrong
with the
> motherboard?
>
> "Ben Myers" wrote:
>
> > Try setting the year to 1999, then reboot. If the computer can
handle 1999, but
> > not 2005, you may have to download a BIOS update from the
motherboard
> > manufacturer.
> >
> > http://www.wimsbios.com
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > "Exotic" <Exotic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:400F2011-154E-4944-BE2C-84E5538C1E5F@microsoft.com...
> > > Everytime i switch on my pc, the date is backdated to 1997, the
manufactured
> > > date stored in the cmos. I thought my cmos batery was weak so
changed it to a
> > > new one.The problem still exists.Please help!
> >
!