DEFRAG problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 19, 2005 12:41:01 PM

While defraging in safe mode, I get the message: DEFRAG caused a general
protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:00001c36

Then: Registers: EAX=00000622 CS=013f EIP=00001c36 EFLGS=00000606

And then more lines of numbers and letters.

And then I closed this message screen and I'm taken away from the defraging
mode.

I'm just trying to defrag my computer. I've already run the scan disk.
Running Windows 98, Intel Pentium II, 128 MB RAM.

More about : defrag problem

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:48:41 PM

When does the error occur? As soon as defrag is launched? While it's
doing it's preliminary chores, or after actual defragmentaion has begun?

Try my Clean Boot methods and run it in Normal Mode, article link in my
signature. Be sure to run Scandisk first, choosing a "Thorough" scan,
but don't have it automatically fix anything. Just report back with the
findings.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User