Case advice needed (Specific needs!)

kud0s

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Hey, I have a PC that will be in a small cubby. Cubby only has about 2 inches on each side. Front and back is always open air. So basically I am looking for a case that has great front to back movement. I have read just about every case review around and the only a few look like they might suit my needs is:

AeroCool Engine2
SILVERSTONE TEMJIN SST-TJ06B-W
NXT Lexa
Though the Lexa does not appear to offer that great of front to back airflow (by the looks of it!)

Antec Sonata II
Dimensions of space I have to work with is (in inches) 21 3/8H X 11W X 16D (depth is flexible somewhat as it is open ended)

I do not like the other Antec cases for looks (like the P150). The P180 looks nice and quiet, but looks like it has bad front to back airflow. Anyone have any ideas for me?

My priorities lie.......

1) FRONT to BACK airflow - very important. Can have side window, but not used as a primary source of airflow.

2) Price - I am on a budget, if I go cheap I can buy a decent PSU, otherwise I am stuck with my old Enermax 350.

3) Looks/Noise - Since it will be in a cubby, only the front of the case would be visable. I am not looking for a freakazoid case, but I don't mind it looking modern like the AeroCool or NXT.

PC is a gaming PC (Heat components are = Opteron 146, X800GTO2, and 2 HD)in a WARM apartment where ambient room temperatures get quite hot.

Hopefully someone out there will have been in a similar situation with experiences to share!

kud0s

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Thanks for the reply :) I had not done much research and it looks like you need a power supply with a 22-25" cable for that case! I looked up the AeroCool case you suggested and the only thing people are talking about are saying things about PSU cable length. I am almost positive my old Enermax does not have that long of cable.

I know that if I would be getting this case (and the Silverstone) I would need to buy a new PSU. That almost sends both out of my budget. GAH!

have you checked out the CM Centurion 5? under $60 shipped, very quiet and has a vented front panel for excellent front/back air flow. Looks like it can be easily modded with a 120mm in the lower 5.25" bays for extra air if needed. Maybe keep it flush against the right side since it has a side panel air intake for the cpu, and use the extra $ for a nice power supply.

I got one of these for my son's 3700//BFG6800GT/FSP AX450-PN and it keeps very quiet and very cool - the only audible fan is the gpu fan.

kud0s

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Pengwin - I love that case, unfortunately the only place up in canada I can buy it locally (not to mention, the cheapest I can find in the country) is over 200 after tax. Thats pricing me out of it.

Doolittle I might be headed down your lines :) I was actually keen on the CM stuff for being cheap, but they always get pretty good reviews for a budget line. With the CM cases, I could get a 120MM Seasonic PSU for the same price of the Aurora.

The only other case I was considering would be which caught my eye this morning.
AeroCool Extreme Engine 3t
I know alot of airflow would come from the side panel but it has a 140MM fan on the front and I could get a 120MM fan for the rear exhaust and the 250MM on the side couldn't hurt, even if it would be semi resistricted airflow. Not to mention it being chear than the aurora by 70 bucks :)
Though I like the review of the Aurora and the look! Tough decisions!

kud0s

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
jaguarskx - This is too funny :)

I just came home with that case, but I didn't get it from NCIX, I paid a little more and got it fron Anitec. I always seem to get much better service there. Staff was helpfull and did not try to upsell me. I have not installed it yet, but just wanted to post the winner. Mesh front, 120MM front and rear fan, and top mounted audio sold me.

I saw the AeroCool case with 25CM side fan and 14CM front fan. The part that actually scared me away is the thought of the 25CM fan breaking. Not gonna be easy finding a replacement for that sucker :)

I picked up this sucker for rear vent's we will see how it works out.

AeroCool XtremeTurbine-Black 120mm

Thanks again for all the advice.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
The best cooling cases I have ever built with are CoolerMaster's.

I even remove the foam dust filters as I clean the inside of all systems on my lan each month or two anyhow.

For most of the systems I like the CAC-TO5 ($41 now on Newegg).

For my newer server and overclocked 64's I am useing the Coolermaster Stackers...abit LARGE for what your looking for I would think!

Z