My screen is too wide

My screen is too wide.I used buttons on the monitor to reduce the size of my
screen but nothing worked.I tried to reduce the resolution but it's still the
same.Is it because my video card driver is incompatible? Due to this i can't
view all the menu bars for my Word/Excel and browser especially the most left
or right side of these applications. Everything does not fit in one screen!
Please help!
5 answers Last reply
More about screen wide

    Have you just updated or reinstalled the video card drivers? Or did this
    just happen out of the blue?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Exotic" <Exotic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My screen is too wide.I used buttons on the monitor to reduce the size
    of my
    > screen but nothing worked.I tried to reduce the resolution but it's
    still the
    > same.Is it because my video card driver is incompatible? Due to this i
    can't
    > view all the menu bars for my Word/Excel and browser especially the
    most left
    > or right side of these applications. Everything does not fit in one
    screen!
    > Please help!

    Right click the Desktop
    Click Properties > Settings tab
    Move the slider up one to the Right, select either 24 bit or 32 bit color and
    press Enter.
    If still not down to size, move the slider one more notch to the right.
    or
    Press ctrl+esc or the Windows key
    Arrow up to Settings
    Arrow over to Control Panel and press Enter
    Press Tab to get the focus on an applet in CP
    Arrow over to Display applet and press Enter
    Press Tab to get the focus on a Display window tab
    Arrow over to Settings
    Press Tab to get the focus of Resolution/screen size frame
    Arrow over Right one notch
    Tab over to Color and Arrow up/down to 32 bit and press Enter

    If prompted to save settings, make sure the focus is on Yes and press Enter.

    If your stuck 16 or 256 colors then you need to reinstall your video
    adapter/chip drivers.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Exotic" <Exotic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My screen is too wide.I used buttons on the monitor to reduce the size of my
    > screen but nothing worked.I tried to reduce the resolution but it's still the
    > same.Is it because my video card driver is incompatible? Due to this i can't
    > view all the menu bars for my Word/Excel and browser especially the most left
    > or right side of these applications. Everything does not fit in one screen!
    > Please help!

    I tried your solution today. It didnt work! Help!

    "Brian A." wrote:

    > Right click the Desktop
    > Click Properties > Settings tab
    > Move the slider up one to the Right, select either 24 bit or 32 bit color and
    > press Enter.
    > If still not down to size, move the slider one more notch to the right.
    > or
    > Press ctrl+esc or the Windows key
    > Arrow up to Settings
    > Arrow over to Control Panel and press Enter
    > Press Tab to get the focus on an applet in CP
    > Arrow over to Display applet and press Enter
    > Press Tab to get the focus on a Display window tab
    > Arrow over to Settings
    > Press Tab to get the focus of Resolution/screen size frame
    > Arrow over Right one notch
    > Tab over to Color and Arrow up/down to 32 bit and press Enter
    >
    > If prompted to save settings, make sure the focus is on Yes and press Enter.
    >
    > If your stuck 16 or 256 colors then you need to reinstall your video
    > adapter/chip drivers.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Exotic" <Exotic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My screen is too wide.I used buttons on the monitor to reduce the size of my
    > > screen but nothing worked.I tried to reduce the resolution but it's still the
    > > same.Is it because my video card driver is incompatible? Due to this i can't
    > > view all the menu bars for my Word/Excel and browser especially the most left
    > > or right side of these applications. Everything does not fit in one screen!
    > > Please help!

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;127139&Product=w98
    Troubleshooting Video Problems in Windows

    "START, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button". If checked, then uncheck "VGA
    640x480x16", & reboot.

    "Control Panel, Display, Settings tab". Select as you wish from the
    Colors dropdown menu & the Size slider. Really, you should need nothing
    higher than "High Color (16 bit)", for speed/resource considerations.

    If you move the Screen Area slider to 1024x768 there, be sure to click
    the Advanced button, & select Large fonts.

    Try to get your colors/size at least twice that way. If it continues to
    fail, you may need to reinstall your Monitor or Display Adapter...

    For the Monitor...
    (1) Boot to Safe Mode
    (Hold F5 as you boot or CTRL for the Startup Menu)
    (2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
    (3) Open the Monitors branch, & Remove all entries.

    Perhaps, FIRST, even in Normal Mode, note what is installed
    similar to below for the Adapter. That is...
    (a) D-Clk the monitor there for Properties, Driver tab.
    (b) Click the Update Driver button, then "Next".
    (c) Bolt "Display a list...", & click "Next".
    (d) Bolt "Show all hardware".
    Examine the two panes to see what is currently installed.
    That is likely what you wish to end up with, after step (4).

    (4) Boot to Normal Mode.

    Hopefully, it will be rediscovered & installed. Then, if still
    necessary, here is the rigmarole of the Display Adapter...

    .......Quote..........
    The first thing to do is to remove the video adapter you have
    installed. Right-click on the desktop; choose "Properties" from the
    drop-down menu; select "Settings;" click on the "Advanced" button; and
    click on "Adapter". An adapter is a program that tells Windows how to
    deal with a specific video card. Make note of the adapter that is
    currently installed. Then, change the adapter to "Standard Display
    Adapter (VGA)" and restart the system.

    [That is: Click "Change, Next, bolt 'Display a List...', Next, bolt
    'Show all hardware', scroll left pane to top, select '(Standard display
    types)', select 'Standard Display Adapter (VGA)' in right pane, click
    'Next'"... PCR]

    This will remove the current adapter and replace it with a generic VGA
    adapter that works with all video cards. You will not like VGA because
    it supports only 16 colors, but the purpose of installing it is to get
    rid of whatever was there before.

    Next, return to the adapter screen and install an adapter that matches
    your video card. This may or may not be the adapter that you are
    using now. Examine the materials you received with your computer to
    see if they include a CD-ROM or floppy disk that contains the correct
    video adapter. Or go to the Gateway website and see if they have an
    adapter for you to download. Or check the website of the company that
    made your video card.

    Bill Starbuck (MVP)
    .......End....of quote....

    Also...
    ..........Quote................
    To identify your video adapter correctly, download and run either the
    Everest or
    Aida32 utility, available here:
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#everest

    Once you have identified the display adapter, go to the manufacturer's
    web site and download the correct driver for you operating
    system....(such as) Windows 98/98SE.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Exotic" <Exotic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | My screen is too wide.I used buttons on the monitor to reduce the size
    of my
    | screen but nothing worked.I tried to reduce the resolution but it's
    still the
    | same.Is it because my video card driver is incompatible? Due to this i
    can't
    | view all the menu bars for my Word/Excel and browser especially the
    most left
    | or right side of these applications. Everything does not fit in one
    screen!
    | Please help!

    Can you actually change the width with the monitor front panel controls, but
    you run out of adjustment before you get it down to the right size? If so,
    then it may be a monitor fault. But also try this:
    In display properties / settings look for an advanced option and the monitor
    tab. Find the option that allows you to change the refresh rate. It should
    exist for most systems. Try a different (usually, lower) refresh rate. If
    the monitor does not auto-adjust then the refresh rate can have an effect on
    the display width.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >I tried your solution today. It didnt work! Help!

Windows