Language recognition

How do I determine the language of and installed O/S and of the one I want
to upgrade too ???

I receive and error message indicating that "the language of this
installation of windows differs from the one you are installing. The option
to upgrade will not be available"

As far I I'm concerned the installed OS (win98) is English and the one I
want to upgrade too (W2K) is also English.

If you truly do have both versions in the same language, I suspect
there's some specific, seemingly disconnected cause for this behavior,
and that it is properly an error in the Windows 2000 installation
process. If so, the place to ask is in Win2K groups.

Some possibilities and hints:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259779

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I determine the language of and installed O/S and of the one I
want
> to upgrade too ???
>
> I receive and error message indicating that "the language of this
> installation of windows differs from the one you are installing. The
option
> to upgrade will not be available"
>
> As far I I'm concerned the installed OS (win98) is English and the one
> want to upgrade too (W2K) is also English.

Gary,

Thanks for prompt response. Your second link solved the problem. Existing
win 98 set to English UK. Win2000 is English US. I'd not had the is problem
before. Changed. Changing regional setting in control panel to US disn't
chamged registry on reboot. Manually changed and upgrade proceeding.

Again...Thanks

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> If you truly do have both versions in the same language, I suspect
> there's some specific, seemingly disconnected cause for this behavior,
> and that it is properly an error in the Windows 2000 installation
> process. If so, the place to ask is in Win2K groups.
>
> Some possibilities and hints:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259779
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I determine the language of and installed O/S and of the one I
> want
> > to upgrade too ???
> >
> > I receive and error message indicating that "the language of this
> > installation of windows differs from the one you are installing. The
> option
> > to upgrade will not be available"
> >
> > As far I I'm concerned the installed OS (win98) is English and the one
> > want to upgrade too (W2K) is also English.

Glad it was an easy fix. Have fun with the Win2K install.