Sign in with
Your question

A8N-E vs Asus A8R-MVP

Last response: in Motherboards
April 22, 2006 10:54:41 AM

Hi there, I am currently looking around and hope to be ordering the parts to make a new machine in the next week.

Only parts I have decided on going with so far are Athlon 64 3700+, X1800XT, Antec case and PSU and a western digital 250GB with 16Mb cache but when it comes to the MOBO I need some guidance from people with more experience.

I am looking at the 2 MOBOs listed above, however could do with some help from people with more experience. This is an edited version of my original post as I tihnk the A8R32-MVP deluxe to be a bit unneccesary for my needs and a little excessive.

The first reply to this post was to my original question so it may seem not as relevant but any further comments would really be useful

I am not into overclocking as I have never done it before and I will not be using 2 graphics cards, with all of this in mind can anyone give me some advice regarding this choice, thanks in advance for all your help

More about : a8n asus a8r mvp

April 22, 2006 11:29:19 AM

I would go for the A8R32-MVP Deluxe. I think it is very very nice.

I know you say you won't do Crossfire, but one day when the 1800XT is starting to fell a little slow just pop one more bad boy in and you are flying again.
May 10, 2006 4:57:51 PM

BUMP - Need more help - BUMP

PS Main reason I am considering the A8R-MVP is the fanless northbridge, is that a reasonable enough factor to point someone away from 1 board and towards another?
Related resources
May 10, 2006 5:24:05 PM

A8R-MVP and A8R32-MVP are both fanles system that is good...
Both systems allso have an usb2.0 issue that can cause trouble sometimes... With new bios versions it's getting better though.
I am guite happy owner of A8R-MVP, but if I would buy new system I would go to A8R32-MVP. Because it's more stable with heavy electricity load... Crosfire setting or heavy owerclocking.
If you use this board keep your USB devises below 3 and you will be just fine. It's quiet (of cource :-) And stable enough, if you don't go to extremes.
May 10, 2006 5:56:30 PM

I am currently using the A8N-E with a AMD 4000 and a X1900 XT and 2 gig corsair ram. 3DMARK2005 is 12000 (some oc'ing). This sytem is plenty good for what you need. The crossfire board should only be considered if you will run crossfire. Besides, the A8N-E is only about $90 at Newegg right now, the MVP board is about $180.
May 10, 2006 7:26:56 PM

I have had an A8N-E for about a year, and about 3 months ago did have to change the chipset fan with an Akasa Ak-210 after it began making odd noises.(only cost about £3-£4 and very simple to change). From reading various other forums there is obviously a problem with Asus chipset fan on these boards.
Otherwise the board has been excellent. Runs my Sandy 3700+ @2.6 without breaking a sweat.
note: if you want 2g memory on this board dont use 4x512 sticks (it still works, but freaks out the board and it drops the frequency down from 400mhz to 333mhz)
IMO if your dead sure you will not want to use crossfire in the future but might possibly want a raid setup, then the A8N-E is your baby
May 10, 2006 7:53:24 PM

I've got and A8N-E and i love it. Don't waste your money on the crossfire version. Save your money and wait for something better to come along if your video card starts to strain under the load. With the Nforce4 ultra you basically just an SLI without the extra 16x PCI express. The RAIDs are easy to setup, USB works well, and stepping up the speed of the processor is easy within the bios. Save yourself the money, you'll hear more sound from your CPU heatsink that that little fan on the mainboard.
May 10, 2006 8:16:54 PM

Quote:
I have had an A8N-E for about a year, and about 3 months ago did have to change the chipset fan with an Akasa Ak-210 after it began making odd noises.(only cost about £3-£4 and very simple to change). From reading various other forums there is obviously a problem with Asus chipset fan on these boards.
Otherwise the board has been excellent. Runs my Sandy 3700+ @2.6 without breaking a sweat.
note: if you want 2g memory on this board dont use 4x512 sticks (it still works, but freaks out the board and it drops the frequency down from 400mhz to 333mhz)
IMO if your dead sure you will not want to use crossfire in the future but might possibly want a raid setup, then the A8N-E is your baby

So the A8N-E drops to 333Mhz even though the new E revision AMD core are supposed to handle all 4 banks at 400Mhz? I guess this is a limitation of the motherboard then?
May 10, 2006 10:50:18 PM

I have an E4 revision Sandiego and as default setting (left on auto detect) it would drop down to 333mhz with 4 sticks of corsair xms3200 c2pt. You could easily manually adjust this to back to 400 in the bios, so it never caused me any performance hit that I could see.
Now, whether this is a problem with this type Asus mobos (it happens on some of the other models too), or the memory controller on my E4 S.D I never bothered to find out. (the latest S.D 3700+ are rev. E6)
I now run 2x 1g sticks of Mushkin pc4000 so I can bump the fsb without dropping the mem frequency first. -
sorry now getting off subject -I would still buy another A8n-e if building another comp. tomorrow.
April 28, 2009 11:28:06 PM

Hi there, I have a Asus A8NE with a Athlon 64 dule/core 4200+ ,Asus Nvidia 8800 gtx (768mb), Full Antec tower , western digital 250GB with 16Mb cache. and 4x512=2gig ram (OCZ High performance DDR/400)

and my comp runs great i play games alot and i have no problems palying anything sofar :) 

& i also have a Asus A8NE-Deluxe with a Athlon 64 dule/core 3800+,Dule Asus Nvidia 7800 gtx (512mb),Thermaltake full aluminum tower , Raptor 250GB(HD). and 4x1gig ram (OCZ low latency DDR/400)

boath my comps run smooth and great no problems running nothning(crysis,bf2,cod,race games..ect)
good choice to go with the delux i think but if your going one card the a8ne is great also ...
!