Should I build a cheap Intel PC and wait to get a processor?

lorthus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I had a long topic about building a $1,200.00 PC and I came up with so many awesome builds. But some people mentioned that a new generation of processors from intel is coming out this summer and that It will be compatible with LGA775 motherboards as long as you update the Bios.
So I was wondering would it be worth for me to build a Celeron and wait a few months to get the processor???
Has the new generation from AMD been announced yet? is it going to use the same socket(939) ???
Thanks

Socket 939 is strictly for the Athlon 64/X2/ and socket 939 Opteron variants...

I'd be a little leery of purchasing an LGA775 board with the general hope of future Conroe support, as there are core voltage options, voltage regulator design concerns, etc...

I'd recommend waiting until the Conroe is actually released in a few months, and news that a 965/975X actually does indeed officially suport the Conroe series, as they do indeed promise exciting performance at a great low price point.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I agree, if you want to be safe I would go ahead and wait for some firm news that those boards will support Conroe. However, I assume you would be selling your Celeron once you got the Conroe. You could always sell your motherboard and not be out too much $ if it wasn't compatible. I'm sure a 965 or 975 board would do well on ebay :)

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Exactly!
As many fanboys there are that would like to pimp it. Noboby knows for sure if Conroe will run on existing boards.

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
As far as I know, Intel has announced that Conroe WILL ONLY be supported by 975X motherboards, after a BIOS update, that is (so don't go selling your processor since you'll need it to upgrade the BIOS)

I think 975s are the only chipsets to support Conroe due to the fsb supported and the Voltage for the processor. Also, 975s don't support Celerons (Celerons use 533 FSB).

I want to do the exact same thing you're trying to do, buy a cheap Intel and then upgrade to Conroe, I guess the cheapest CPU to buy is the 630 (Altho I'd pay the extra 8 dollars to get the 631 ! 65nm goodness =D)

Your best option is to wait.

The new AMD Athlon 64 Socket AM2 were originally supposed to be released on 6/6/06, but AMD decided to release it around the 3rd week of May. Socket AM2 and 939 are not compatible. And AM2 requires DDR2 RAM, while 939 uses DDR RAM.

I know you are probably getting impatient, I am too since my overclocked Athlon XP-M 2600+ is over 4 years old now.

linux_0

Splendid
I had a long topic about building a $1,200.00 PC and I came up with so many awesome builds. But some people mentioned that a new generation of processors from intel is coming out this summer and that It will be compatible with LGA775 motherboards as long as you update the Bios.
So I was wondering would it be worth for me to build a Celeron and wait a few months to get the processor???
Has the new generation from AMD been announced yet? is it going to use the same socket(939) ???
Thanks

Absolutely not!

Please disregard Intel and AMD marketing.

Do not purchase any parts until the 65nm AMD CPUs and Conroe are out and there are reliable benchmarks for both from multiple sources.

The new AMDs are being released in 2-3 weeks however we cannot be sure how they will perform. The Conroe may not be released for another few months.

Either way if you are going to wait, wait for the 65nm AMDs and Intel's response.

guyinyourattic37

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
U know theres something called downclocking. It will support a 533FSB. So Intel boards don't but asus does. U said that the 975 chipset doesn't support a 533 FSB. I brought proof that u were wrong. Asus boards support cellys. So don't get the intel board, get asus. PROBLEM SLOVED

PS: i was right :)

linux_0

Splendid
U know theres something called downclocking. It will support a 533FSB. So Intel boards don't but asus does. U said that the 975 chipset doesn't support a 533 FSB. I brought proof that u were wrong. Asus boards support cellys. So don't get the intel board, get asus. PROBLEM SLOVED

PS: i was right :)

I have to reiterate

Do not purchase any parts until the 65nm AMD CPUs and Conroe are out and there are reliable benchmarks for both from multiple sources.

Think of it this way, would you buy a house for $750,000 site unseen and without a house inspection only to find out it's worth $50,000 after the purchase?

linux_0

Splendid
But if he needs it now he should get celly. IF he doesn't need it he should wait.

Buying a Celeron now on the eve of the AM2 launch would not be a good idea only to upgrade to a CPU which may not perform as expected and may not work on a 975 board.

The current P4 65nm Intel CPUs cannot even beat 90nm AMDs imagine how much better 65nm AMDs will likely be.

It makes no sense whatsoever to get a Celeron. Many companies demonstrate engineering samples which can supposedly do wonderful things and in the end never become available on the market.

It would be a lot smarter to wait a few weeks to see how AM2 performs and see when 65nm AMDs will become available.

lorthus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
So I guess the smarter thing to do is to wait.
How long do I have to wait for the new AMD processor??

What I'm going to do then is: Buy the Case, Hard Drive, Monitor, keyboard, speakers, video card, and media drivers.

What about the memory? Are both new systems going to use DDR2 ??? What frequency? 4200 ?

linux_0

Splendid
Does any1 know what kind of memory they are going to be using? DDR2 6400?

There are indications AM2 may use DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 but it is expected to use at least DDR2 800 / PC2-6400.

Memory prices tend to fluctuate significantly so it's hard to tell if RAM will get cheaper or more expensive with the AM2 launch.

"Do not purchase any parts until the 65nm AMD CPUs and Conroe are out and there are reliable benchmarks for both from multiple sources.
"

AMD's move to 65 nm will be long overdue, and is currently slated for the quite vague timeframe of, "1H 2007"...

Even so, I doubt it will be an effective answer to the Conroe Juggernaut!