Can't load Citibank's secure web-sites

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 20, 2005 9:52:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Hi,

I have three computer at home - all connected to the same Linksys
router/firewall. One have wire connection and two - wireless.

One wireless computer does not seem to be able to connect to any of
CitiBank sites, while others have no problem. Sites of other banks
(for example, Chase Online) work normally.

This defiant computer is Win'98SE system with the latest version of
Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator that do support 128-bit
encryption. It also has Norton Internet Security 2003, however, the
problem persists even when NIS is disabled. I did not find any places
where Citi domains are blocked.

My wireless network currently do not have WEP enabled.

Any advice on further troubleshooting?

TIA, Eugene
-------------------

PS. Was originally posted on comp.security.firewalls under with a
different subject, but got no responses.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:10:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

I've found LinkSys support to be excellent.
http://www.linksys.com/contact/contact.asp

Please let us know how it goes. I'm curious about your problem.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Eugene F." <pm771.am@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have three computer at home - all connected to the same Linksys
> router/firewall. One have wire connection and two - wireless.
>
> One wireless computer does not seem to be able to connect to any of
> CitiBank sites, while others have no problem. Sites of other banks
> (for example, Chase Online) work normally.
>
> This defiant computer is Win'98SE system with the latest version of
> Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator that do support 128-bit
> encryption. It also has Norton Internet Security 2003, however, the
> problem persists even when NIS is disabled. I did not find any places
> where Citi domains are blocked.
>
> My wireless network currently do not have WEP enabled.
>
> Any advice on further troubleshooting?
>
> TIA, Eugene
> -------------------
>
> PS. Was originally posted on comp.security.firewalls under with a
> different subject, but got no responses.

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 2:26:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

The problem may not be with the router/firewall (which works fine with the other
machines), but rather with the computer having the problem. See here for possible
clues:
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#secure_si...
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
~ In memory of our friend, MVP Alex Nichol ~

"Eugene F." <pm771.am@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have three computer at home - all connected to the same Linksys
> router/firewall. One have wire connection and two - wireless.
>
> One wireless computer does not seem to be able to connect to any of
> CitiBank sites, while others have no problem. Sites of other banks
> (for example, Chase Online) work normally.
>
> This defiant computer is Win'98SE system with the latest version of
> Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator that do support 128-bit
> encryption. It also has Norton Internet Security 2003, however, the
> problem persists even when NIS is disabled. I did not find any places
> where Citi domains are blocked.
>
> My wireless network currently do not have WEP enabled.
>
> Any advice on further troubleshooting?
>
> TIA, Eugene
> -------------------
>
> PS. Was originally posted on comp.security.firewalls under with a
> different subject, but got no responses.

March 20, 2005 4:41:05 PM

Eugene F. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have three computer at home - all connected to the same Linksys
> router/firewall. One have wire connection and two - wireless.
>
> One wireless computer does not seem to be able to connect to any of
> CitiBank sites, while others have no problem. Sites of other banks
> (for example, Chase Online) work normally.
>
> This defiant computer is Win'98SE system with the latest version of
> Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator that do support 128-bit
> encryption. It also has Norton Internet Security 2003, however, the
> problem persists even when NIS is disabled. I did not find any places
> where Citi domains are blocked.
>
> My wireless network currently do not have WEP enabled.
>
> Any advice on further troubleshooting?
>
> TIA, Eugene
> -------------------
>
> PS. Was originally posted on comp.security.firewalls under with a
> different subject, but got no responses.

I'd check my browser and security settings. I'd dump my history, temp
cache and cookies. Reboot the system after you deep six those files.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:25:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Gary,

I do not see how it could be LinkSys issue since two other computers
connected to the same router have no problems.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:29:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

<<< I'd check my browser and security settings. >>>

I've done it to the best of my ability. The problem does not seem to
be browser - specific, since both IE and Netscape exhibit the same
behavior.

<<< I'd dump my history, temp cache and cookies. Reboot the system
after you deep six those files. >>>

Already tried. Did not help.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:55:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

I didn't mean to imply that it was a LinkSys issue, per se, only that
LinkSys support is excellent, and they generally are willing to help
t-shoot problems that even tangentially involve their hardware, like
knowing what configuration changes might be needed on your problem
machine.

Then again, it may be totally outside their realm. I'll admit that I
didn't fully think through your case before making the suggestion. But
I'd still want to check with them, just to rule out general network
configuration issues, whether it's router configuration or individual
machine configuration.

--

> Gary,
>
> I do not see how it could be LinkSys issue since two other computers
> connected to the same router have no problems.

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:59:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Glen,

<<< The problem may not be with the router/firewall (which works fine
with the other
machines), but rather with the computer having the problem. >>>

I agree.

I looked at the collection of links you pointed to and couldn't find
the exact match to my case.

I use Win98SE. Problem exists with both Internet Explorer and Netscape
Navigator.

Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (Cipher Strength 128-bit).
Message: The page cannot be displayed

Netscape 7.2 [Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.2)
Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)] [This version supports high-grade
(128-bit) security with RSA Public Key Cryptography, DSA, MD2, MD5,
RC2-CBC, RC4, DES-CBC, DES-EDE3-CBC.]
Message: Alert Box - The operation timed out when attempting to contact
citibank.com
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 6:18:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

I also can not connect to adobe.com. I Googled for citibank.com
problems and found that adobe.com is also mentioned. Tried it and -
the same problem. At least I'm not alone though I have not figured out
the fix yet.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 6:24:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Nicola,

My ipconfig shows the following:

Windows 98 IP Configuration

0 Ethernet adapter :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

2 Ethernet adapter :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Do you see a problem?

TIA, Eugene
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 6:41:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Thanks. You were right.

IPCONFIG /release_all and IPCONFIG/renew_all - all it took to fix.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 7:43:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

I'm betting you're missing seeing a setting in NIS that is blocking the site or
something involved with the site that is needed for it to load. I have found
this to be the best way to find the hidden critter that's blocked.

Open NIS
Click Statistics > View Logs > Content Blocking
Click once on any of the logged entries pertaining to the site and the info of
what's blocked will show in the lower frame. Check a few, different items
blocked are logged separately.

Once you know what's blocked, back at the main NIS window:
Click Status and Settings if not already selected
Click AdBlocking > Configure > Advanced button
If the site is in the list click it once and add the blocked items set to Permit
in the right pane.
If the site is not listed, add it and the items needed to permit.

If nothing was found to be blocked in the Content Blocking log, check each other
category starting with the Firewall log.

After permitting any blocked items still flops the site, go back to the logs and
clear them all.
Click once on NIS
Click Log > Clear all Categories
Close out
Retry the site, go back to the logs which are now fresh and may show something
blocked.

If that is no help, in NIS Options disable NIS-Not NAV from loading on boot,
close out and reboot.
Try the site, if still no go it's not NIS and I lose the bet

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Eugene F." <pm771.am@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have three computer at home - all connected to the same Linksys
> router/firewall. One have wire connection and two - wireless.
>
> One wireless computer does not seem to be able to connect to any of
> CitiBank sites, while others have no problem. Sites of other banks
> (for example, Chase Online) work normally.
>
> This defiant computer is Win'98SE system with the latest version of
> Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator that do support 128-bit
> encryption. It also has Norton Internet Security 2003, however, the
> problem persists even when NIS is disabled. I did not find any places
> where Citi domains are blocked.
>
> My wireless network currently do not have WEP enabled.
>
> Any advice on further troubleshooting?
>
> TIA, Eugene
> -------------------
>
> PS. Was originally posted on comp.security.firewalls under with a
> different subject, but got no responses.

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 8:56:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

IIRC the subnet should be 255.255.255.0
I see you sorted it out. Is the subnet as above now?

--

> Nicola,
>
> My ipconfig shows the following:

> Windows 98 IP Configuration
>
> 0 Ethernet adapter :
>
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . :
>
> 1 Ethernet adapter :
>
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . :
>
> 2 Ethernet adapter :
>
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
>
> Do you see a problem?
>
> TIA, Eugene

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:59:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

"Eugene F." <pm771.am@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have three computer at home - all connected to the same Linksys
> router/firewall. One have wire connection and two - wireless.
>
> One wireless computer does not seem to be able to connect to any of
> CitiBank sites, while others have no problem. Sites of other banks
> (for example, Chase Online) work normally.
>
> This defiant computer is Win'98SE system with the latest version of
> Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator that do support 128-bit
> encryption. It also has Norton Internet Security 2003, however, the
> problem persists even when NIS is disabled. I did not find any places
> where Citi domains are blocked.
>
> My wireless network currently do not have WEP enabled.
>
> Any advice on further troubleshooting?
>
> TIA, Eugene
> -------------------
>
> PS. Was originally posted on comp.security.firewalls under with a
> different subject, but got no responses.

I had a similar problem on W98SE and it turned out to be the subnet mask
causing the problem.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:07:51 AM

Eugene F. wrote:
> Thanks. You were right.
>
> IPCONFIG /release_all and IPCONFIG/renew_all - all it took to fix.

It took me ages to work it out, as I thought the config on the router
was OK and the sites had previously been working. However, when I
checked, the router had somehow changed the subnet to 255.0.0.0.

I thought this was wrong, so changed it to 255.255.255.0 and renewed
the IP address and all worked OK.

Glad you are all sorted now

Nicola
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 8:47:58 AM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:55:40 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
wrote:

>I didn't mean to imply that it was a LinkSys issue, per se, only that
>LinkSys support is excellent, and they generally are willing to help
>t-shoot problems that even tangentially involve their hardware, like
>knowing what configuration changes might be needed on your problem
>machine.

I wouldn't recommend Linksys tech support to anyone. My sister-in-law
spent eight hours on the phone with Linksys techs with names like Mike,
Mark, Brian, etc, who all mysteriously had Indian accents. She was having
trouble getting a connection to a Linksys wireless router using the new
Linksys wireless cards she had bought.

Eight hours total on the phone, fiddling with all sorts of settings on her
computer - bridging network connections, editing the registry, to no avail.
It took me about 15 minutes from walking in her door to having it running.
The first thing I checked was the firmware revision. All it needed was an
update.

--
ARREST, v.t. Formally to detain one accused of unusualness.

- Ambrose Bierce
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 8:47:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

I *did* consider adding the caveat, "YMMV" to my original post. All I
know is that my own communications, of a few occasions, have all been
more than satisfactory.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"CyberDroog" <CyberDroog@ClockworkOrange.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:55:40 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
> >I didn't mean to imply that it was a LinkSys issue, per se, only that
> >LinkSys support is excellent, and they generally are willing to help
> >t-shoot problems that even tangentially involve their hardware, like
> >knowing what configuration changes might be needed on your problem
> >machine.
>
> I wouldn't recommend Linksys tech support to anyone. My sister-in-law
> spent eight hours on the phone with Linksys techs with names like
Mike,
> Mark, Brian, etc, who all mysteriously had Indian accents. She was
having
> trouble getting a connection to a Linksys wireless router using the
new
> Linksys wireless cards she had bought.
>
> Eight hours total on the phone, fiddling with all sorts of settings on
her
> computer - bridging network connections, editing the registry, to no
avail.
> It took me about 15 minutes from walking in her door to having it
running.
> The first thing I checked was the firmware revision. All it needed
was an
> update.
>
> --
> ARREST, v.t. Formally to detain one accused of unusualness.
>
> - Ambrose Bierce

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 9:46:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

<<< IIRC the subnet should be 255.255.255.0
I see you sorted it out. Is the subnet as above now? >>>

Yes, Sir.
March 22, 2005 12:33:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Wireless Technology as well as Bluetooth is not secure and can easily be
hacked by a professional hacker and I would not use Internet banking but it
is your life. Have a nice day!

:
: -------------------
:
: PS. Was originally posted on comp.security.firewalls under with a
: different subject, but got no responses.
:
March 22, 2005 12:38:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Thanks Gary. I need to contact LinkSys too.

: I've found LinkSys support to be excellent.
: http://www.linksys.com/contact/contact.asp
:
: Please let us know how it goes. I'm curious about your problem.
:
: --
: Gary S. Terhune
: MS MVP Shell/User
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
: "Eugene F." <pm771.am@gmail.com> wrote in message
: news:1111330358.637869.143350@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
: > Hi,
: >
[...]
: > -------------------
: >
: > PS. Was originally posted on comp.security.firewalls under with a
: > different subject, but got no responses.
: >
:
March 23, 2005 9:24:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Gary, MVP, I got your back, <smile>, Gary S. Terhune, MVP, almost always know
what he is talking about and remember MVPs are volunteers and only do this
because they want to so have some respect for the guy and all MVP's and f___
(buzz) off. The only person that has actually accurately correctly Gary S.
Terhune in a sincere and polite manner was Hugh Candlin, As Far As I Can
Remember.

: I *did* consider adding the caveat, "YMMV" to my original post. All I
: know is that my own communications, of a few occasions, have all been
: more than satisfactory.
:
: --
: Gary S. Terhune
: MS MVP Shell/User
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
: "CyberDroog" <CyberDroog@ClockworkOrange.com> wrote in message
: news:nlns319b8gf60uronn6k8j7fb8ua31hgcs@4ax.com...
: > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:55:40 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
: <grystnews@mvps.org>
: > wrote:
: >
[...]
: > --
: > ARREST, v.t. Formally to detain one accused of unusualness.
: >
: > - Ambrose Bierce
: >
:
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:51:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.internet.browser,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Today the problem suddenly reappeared. I checked IPConfig right away
and the mask was back to 255.0.0.0 Had to perform release/renew
routine again.

I have a suspicion that it has something to do with me saving the
router configuration using that computer (through http://192.168.1.1)
The router itself (BEFW11S4 ver. 3) has a correct mask. The LinkSys
wireless card does not seem to have mask setting at all.

Though I know now how to fix it the root cause still remains a mystery
to me.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 4:06:43 PM

<<< be sure to check for a firmware update for your router >>>

Yes, there is a one up version. Mine is 1.45z, Feb 28 2003. The latest
seems to be 1.45.10 (dated 4/15/2004).

I'm somewhat hesitant to apply it, though.
March 30, 2005 7:34:24 PM

> <<< IIRC the subnet should be 255.255.255.0
> I see you sorted it out. Is the subnet as above now? >>>
>
> Yes, Sir.

be sure to check for a firmware update for your router

glad to hear you got it
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:06:16 AM

It shouldn't be a problem. Most routers have the option in their setup config
to backup the settings first before implementing the flash update, this way if
something goes awry you can restore the backup. Updating is usually done from
within the routers config where you type in the path or browse to the .bin file.
It should be simple and painless but before you do continue, make sure you fully
read the manufacturers instructions on how to accomplish the task at hand.

--

!