EXPLORER CAUSED AN invalid page fault in module MSINFOSYS...

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 20, 2005 1:55:04 PM

I have a problem with explorer which unable the computer to connect to
internet, this happened when I installed Norton antivirus trying to clean a
virus crypter.c Trojan, which I couldn’t clean.

The error is: Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module MSINFOSYS.DLL
at 017f:01e5783e

Please help me
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 2:19:17 PM

See the Security link in my signature, but first look at this page:
http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spy_rm_AutoSearch...

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"EXPLORER CAUSED AN INVALID PAGE FAULT"
<EXPLORERCAUSEDANINVALIDPAGEFAULT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:5769702A-F1DC-4473-8427-83D6E40BD442@microsoft.com...
> I have a problem with explorer which unable the computer to connect to
> internet, this happened when I installed Norton antivirus trying to
clean a
> virus crypter.c Trojan, which I couldn’t clean.
>
> The error is: Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
MSINFOSYS.DLL
> at 017f:01e5783e
>
> Please help me

March 22, 2005 12:32:24 PM

Gary, I spent 3 hours with a Microsoft Tech. removing the Mini 2.5 Keylogger
from my machine. It had infected Mozilla Firefox and was using the browser
to launch a full-scale assault on XP PRO. and this was with all the
protections that I have in place. I had to completely remove Mozilla Firefox
and Keylogger from registry, edit msconfig.exe, boot into safe mode for
setting changes, etc. It was a pain but at least it is gone and now the task
of resetting all my passwords. My machine is starting to get hit really
hard. I change router settings and within 3 hours or less people are
bypassing the LinkSys BEFSX-41 which is an $80 wired router using ethernet
cables. I am at a lose at how to stop all attacks in the future at the
hardware router level. I managed it for about a week a while back but people
are constantly attacking in cyberspace, I have had to contact the police
about attempted identity theft and have had to talk to numerous federal
agencies about security including the postal inspector. I Really Need All Of
Your Help and Expertise. Please I am begging and beseeching you Gary S.
Terhune, MVP with all my heart. Fortunately, 98SE remains on a seperate
physical hard drive in a hidden partition using Fat32. Have a great day!
<smile>

: See the Security link in my signature, but first look at this page:
: http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spy_rm_AutoSearch...
:
: --
: Gary S. Terhune
: MS MVP Shell/User
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
: "EXPLORER CAUSED AN INVALID PAGE FAULT"
: <EXPLORERCAUSEDANINVALIDPAGEFAULT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
: message news:5769702A-F1DC-4473-8427-83D6E40BD442@microsoft.com...
: > I have a problem with explorer which unable the computer to connect to
: > internet, this happened when I installed Norton antivirus trying to
: clean a
: > virus crypter.c Trojan, which I couldn’t clean.
: >
: > The error is: Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
: MSINFOSYS.DLL
: > at 017f:01e5783e
: >
: > Please help me
: >
:
March 23, 2005 7:52:37 AM

MAN! I'm still using my Tiny Personal Firewall Engine 2.015 A from October 2001.

I have a feeling a newer firewall would use up too many resources on this PII
350 Mhz machine.
March 23, 2005 9:13:30 AM

Good Point! What os do you have -- 98FE or 98SE or something else and what
security are you using. Fortunately, I managed to fix XP PRO. with the
techs. help from India -- something Rawat I think but am not sure that was
his name --- apparently first time Microsoft heard of an attack like this at
least according to this technican. Stupid Mean People are getting ever more
sophisticated and atop their list is XPPRO with NTFS file system and so that
is what will get hit the hardest. In addition, cooperations need to work
with the federal, state, and local governments as well as IBM, Microsoft and
Symantec to nail down these intruders. I think the law needs to be changed
to allow users to offensively protect their networks. The defensive posture
is great but a good defense needs a good offensive like it is said in
American football. Have a nice day and I will try to help you secure your
system but it may cost a few dollars. Please post back and I will help you
as I can. As it is written "Do Unto Others As They Will Do Unto You" so let
it be done.

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in message
news:p C60e.152108$nC5.76075@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
: MAN! I'm still using my Tiny Personal Firewall Engine 2.015 A from October
2001.
: I have a feeling a newer firewall would use up too many resources on this
PII
: 350 Mhz machine.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 4:10:11 AM

Suggest you read up on Windows 98 memory management, so we can at least
make sure we're talking about the same things (terminology.) Jim
Eshelman's Windows Support Center has an excellent write-up:
http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:p C60e.152108$nC5.76075@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> MAN! I'm still using my Tiny Personal Firewall Engine 2.015 A from
October 2001.

> I have a feeling a newer firewall would use up too many resources on
this PII
> 350 Mhz machine.

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 6:48:53 AM

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> Good Point! What os do you have -- 98FE or 98SE or something else and what
> security are you using.

Win 98 SE. I've got 384 MB of RAM too, but about 110 MB free at this moment.
When a program says I need 64 MB of RAM, does that mean that the program needs
me to have at least 64 MB of free RAM before attempting to start it, because the
program will gobble up that much free RAM to shift into gear?
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 6:48:54 AM

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in message news:FMq0e.109174$H05.44709@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> Win 98 SE. I've got 384 MB of RAM too, but about 110 MB free at this moment.
> When a program says I need 64 MB of RAM, does that mean that the program needs
> me to have at least 64 MB of free RAM before attempting to start it, because the
> program will gobble up that much free RAM to shift into gear?

It's generally more of a guage of how much of a pig a program is, and what it
takes to run it at an acceptable level. (given that the OS is running also).
Windows 98 can virtualize 2GB? of RAM for any program's needs through the
swap file, but there are ways for a program to allocate physical memory with
the specification that it doesn't get paged out, so YMMV.

OTOH, if the OS install package (Windows) says it need "X amount of memory",
you should have at least that and more.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 11:58:27 AM

http://www.aumha.org/a/memmgmt.htm