EXPLORER CAUSED AN invalid page fault in module MSINFOSYS...

I have a problem with explorer which unable the computer to connect to
internet, this happened when I installed Norton antivirus trying to clean a
virus crypter.c Trojan, which I couldn’t clean.

The error is: Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module MSINFOSYS.DLL
at 017f:01e5783e

Please help me
8 answers Last reply
More about explorer caused invalid page fault module msinfosys

    See the Security link in my signature, but first look at this page:
    http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spy_rm_AutoSearch.html

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "EXPLORER CAUSED AN INVALID PAGE FAULT"
    <EXPLORERCAUSEDANINVALIDPAGEFAULT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:5769702A-F1DC-4473-8427-83D6E40BD442@microsoft.com...
    > I have a problem with explorer which unable the computer to connect to
    > internet, this happened when I installed Norton antivirus trying to
    clean a
    > virus crypter.c Trojan, which I couldn’t clean.
    >
    > The error is: Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
    MSINFOSYS.DLL
    > at 017f:01e5783e
    >
    > Please help me

    Gary, I spent 3 hours with a Microsoft Tech. removing the Mini 2.5 Keylogger
    from my machine. It had infected Mozilla Firefox and was using the browser
    to launch a full-scale assault on XP PRO. and this was with all the
    protections that I have in place. I had to completely remove Mozilla Firefox
    and Keylogger from registry, edit msconfig.exe, boot into safe mode for
    setting changes, etc. It was a pain but at least it is gone and now the task
    of resetting all my passwords. My machine is starting to get hit really
    hard. I change router settings and within 3 hours or less people are
    bypassing the LinkSys BEFSX-41 which is an $80 wired router using ethernet
    cables. I am at a lose at how to stop all attacks in the future at the
    hardware router level. I managed it for about a week a while back but people
    are constantly attacking in cyberspace, I have had to contact the police
    about attempted identity theft and have had to talk to numerous federal
    agencies about security including the postal inspector. I Really Need All Of
    Your Help and Expertise. Please I am begging and beseeching you Gary S.
    Terhune, MVP with all my heart. Fortunately, 98SE remains on a seperate
    physical hard drive in a hidden partition using Fat32. Have a great day!
    <smile>

    : See the Security link in my signature, but first look at this page:
    : http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spy_rm_AutoSearch.html
    :
    : --
    : Gary S. Terhune
    : MS MVP Shell/User
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    :
    : "EXPLORER CAUSED AN INVALID PAGE FAULT"
    : <EXPLORERCAUSEDANINVALIDPAGEFAULT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    : message news:5769702A-F1DC-4473-8427-83D6E40BD442@microsoft.com...
    : > I have a problem with explorer which unable the computer to connect to
    : > internet, this happened when I installed Norton antivirus trying to
    : clean a
    : > virus crypter.c Trojan, which I couldn’t clean.
    : >
    : > The error is: Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
    : MSINFOSYS.DLL
    : > at 017f:01e5783e
    : >
    : > Please help me
    : >
    :

    MAN! I'm still using my Tiny Personal Firewall Engine 2.015 A from October 2001.

    I have a feeling a newer firewall would use up too many resources on this PII
    350 Mhz machine.

    Good Point! What os do you have -- 98FE or 98SE or something else and what
    security are you using. Fortunately, I managed to fix XP PRO. with the
    techs. help from India -- something Rawat I think but am not sure that was
    his name --- apparently first time Microsoft heard of an attack like this at
    least according to this technican. Stupid Mean People are getting ever more
    sophisticated and atop their list is XPPRO with NTFS file system and so that
    is what will get hit the hardest. In addition, cooperations need to work
    with the federal, state, and local governments as well as IBM, Microsoft and
    Symantec to nail down these intruders. I think the law needs to be changed
    to allow users to offensively protect their networks. The defensive posture
    is great but a good defense needs a good offensive like it is said in
    American football. Have a nice day and I will try to help you secure your
    system but it may cost a few dollars. Please post back and I will help you
    as I can. As it is written "Do Unto Others As They Will Do Unto You" so let
    it be done.

    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in message
    : MAN! I'm still using my Tiny Personal Firewall Engine 2.015 A from October
    2001.
    : I have a feeling a newer firewall would use up too many resources on this
    PII
    : 350 Mhz machine.

    Suggest you read up on Windows 98 memory management, so we can at least
    make sure we're talking about the same things (terminology.) Jim
    Eshelman's Windows Support Center has an excellent write-up:
    http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > Good Point! What os do you have -- 98FE or 98SE or something else and what
    > security are you using.

    Win 98 SE. I've got 384 MB of RAM too, but about 110 MB free at this moment.
    When a program says I need 64 MB of RAM, does that mean that the program needs
    me to have at least 64 MB of free RAM before attempting to start it, because the
    program will gobble up that much free RAM to shift into gear?

    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in message news:FMq0e.109174$H05.44709@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    > Win 98 SE. I've got 384 MB of RAM too, but about 110 MB free at this moment.
    > When a program says I need 64 MB of RAM, does that mean that the program needs
    > me to have at least 64 MB of free RAM before attempting to start it, because the
    > program will gobble up that much free RAM to shift into gear?

    It's generally more of a guage of how much of a pig a program is, and what it
    takes to run it at an acceptable level. (given that the OS is running also).
    Windows 98 can virtualize 2GB? of RAM for any program's needs through the
    swap file, but there are ways for a program to allocate physical memory with
    the specification that it doesn't get paged out, so YMMV.

    OTOH, if the OS install package (Windows) says it need "X amount of memory",
    you should have at least that and more.

    http://www.aumha.org/a/memmgmt.htm

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    message news:FMq0e.109174$H05.44709@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    > "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    > > Good Point! What os do you have -- 98FE or 98SE or something else and
    what
    > > security are you using.
    >
    > Win 98 SE. I've got 384 MB of RAM too, but about 110 MB free at this
    moment.
    > When a program says I need 64 MB of RAM, does that mean that the program
    needs
    > me to have at least 64 MB of free RAM before attempting to start it,
    because the
    > program will gobble up that much free RAM to shift into gear?

Explorer Microsoft Windows