Disable swap file

How can I disable the Win98 swap file?

It causes some of my processing to occur out of sequence
and I would like to prevent that from happening.

This is relating to my own programming.

Thanks for any help.

Jack

System Properties, Performance tab. There's a button there.

But you'd better be *real* sure you have plenty of RAM to handle
whatever comes down the pike.

You're doing your own programming and you don't know how to disable the
Swap file? Perhaps you should be looking for more training in ways to
manage your code so that the swap file ceases to become an issue? Just a
thought...

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"J. Yazel" <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in message

> How can I disable the Win98 swap file?
>
> It causes some of my processing to occur out of sequence
> and I would like to prevent that from happening.
>
> This is relating to my own programming.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Jack

Control Panel, System, Performance, Virtual Memory tab (etc).
Generally NOT a good idea.

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> System Properties, Performance tab. There's a button there.
>
> But you'd better be *real* sure you have plenty of RAM to handle
> whatever comes down the pike.
>
> You're doing your own programming and you don't know how to disable the
> Swap file?

LOL. That's a good catch! Yeah, now this sounds a bit fishy to me.

> Perhaps you should be looking for more training in ways to
> manage your code so that the swap file ceases to become an issue? Just a
> thought...
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "J. Yazel" <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in message
>>
>> How can I disable the Win98 swap file?
>>
>> It causes some of my processing to occur out of sequence
>> and I would like to prevent that from happening.
>>
>> This is relating to my own programming.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Jack

In addition to Gary's response, be aware that some programs expect to see a
swap file (even though they might not use it) and will not run properly
without it.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:48:26 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
wrote:

>System Properties, Performance tab. There's a button there.
>
>But you'd better be *real* sure you have plenty of RAM to handle
>whatever comes down the pike.
>
>You're doing your own programming and you don't know how to disable the
>Swap file? Perhaps you should be looking for more training in ways to
>manage your code so that the swap file ceases to become an issue? Just a
>thought...
=================================

Thanks for the answer. However, I didn't clearly state what I need.

First, the program I am referring to is not a Windows program, but an
assembler (MASM) program. It is a mass copy program that I use very
frequently between machines. I wrote my own because I have from time to
time various versions of Windows and DOS and most backup programs
don't cover this. In addition, most backup programs don't compare the
source and target files after the copy. I'm a nut case when it comes to
making sure that a copy is in fact, valid.

The program, however, must be able to run in a Windows DOS window
to prevent loss of the long file names.

More importantly, I don't want to disable the swap file permanently. Ninety-
five percent of the time it will be enabled. It will be disabled only when I
am running this program (or something similar).

When I run the program, the disk writes and reads actually work against the
swap file almost the whole time. The program is almost finished when the
"real" disk I/O gets going. Therefore, if any error occurs during the "real"
I/O, the program can't handle it. Typical errors include different bytes in
the source and target files, different file dates, times, size, etc.

I was actually looking for a way to disable the swap file only during the
run of a specific program.

I do appreciate your attempt to help.

Jack

So, you're looking for a way to "programmatically" disable Virtual
Memory temporarily. Sorry, that's out of my league.

Backup programs may not suit your needs, but popular "imaging" programs
sound like what you're attempting.

--

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:48:26 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
> >System Properties, Performance tab. There's a button there.
> >
> >But you'd better be *real* sure you have plenty of RAM to handle
> >whatever comes down the pike.
> >
> >You're doing your own programming and you don't know how to disable
the
> >Swap file? Perhaps you should be looking for more training in ways to
> >manage your code so that the swap file ceases to become an issue?
Just a
> >thought...
> =================================
>
> Thanks for the answer. However, I didn't clearly state what I need.
>
> First, the program I am referring to is not a Windows program, but an
> assembler (MASM) program. It is a mass copy program that I use very
> frequently between machines. I wrote my own because I have from time
> time various versions of Windows and DOS and most backup programs
> don't cover this. In addition, most backup programs don't compare the
> source and target files after the copy. I'm a nut case when it comes
> making sure that a copy is in fact, valid.
>
> The program, however, must be able to run in a Windows DOS window
> to prevent loss of the long file names.
>
> More importantly, I don't want to disable the swap file permanently.
Ninety-
> five percent of the time it will be enabled. It will be disabled only
when I
> am running this program (or something similar).
>
> When I run the program, the disk writes and reads actually work
against the
> swap file almost the whole time. The program is almost finished when
the
> "real" disk I/O gets going. Therefore, if any error occurs during the
"real"
> I/O, the program can't handle it. Typical errors include different
bytes in
> the source and target files, different file dates, times, size, etc.
>
> I was actually looking for a way to disable the swap file only during
the
> run of a specific program.
>
> I do appreciate your attempt to help.
>
> Jack

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

:< I don't know much about Virtual Memory, either Gary --- how can I learn
more about it. TIA (any good book you suggest I need to read about it)

:
: Backup programs may not suit your needs, but popular "imaging" programs
: sound like what you're attempting.
:
: --
: Gary S. Terhune
: MS MVP Shell/User
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
: "J. Yazel" <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in message
: news:12hs31pbnukff1vuulrh8abujs4p1f7qvn@4ax.com...
: > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:48:26 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
: <grystnews@mvps.org>
: > wrote:
: >
: > >System Properties, Performance tab. There's a button there.
: > >
: > >But you'd better be *real* sure you have plenty of RAM to handle
: > >whatever comes down the pike.
: > >
: > >You're doing your own programming and you don't know how to disable
: the
: > >Swap file? Perhaps you should be looking for more training in ways to
: > >manage your code so that the swap file ceases to become an issue?
: Just a
: > >thought...
: > =================================
: >
[...]

AFAIK, the .swp file is locked. I may be confusing this with something else
386.swp --- <???> Any help is appreciated on this issue.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:43:55 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
wrote:

>So, you're looking for a way to "programmatically" disable Virtual
>Memory temporarily. Sorry, that's out of my league.
>
>Backup programs may not suit your needs, but popular "imaging" programs
>sound like what you're attempting.
===============

O.K., thanks very much. I'll keep looking.

I actually am looking for a way similar to what was mentioned (disabling
virtual memory through the Control Panel), except without booting the
machine twice just to run a program.

A "programmatical" disable would be acceptable as a second choice.

I've been using this program for many years and other than what I asked
for, it works better than any available program (for my needs), since one
minute I'm in Windows and the next I'm in DOS.

Jack

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:11:37 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>AFAIK, the .swp file is locked. I may be confusing this with something else
>386.swp --- <???> Any help is appreciated on this issue.
>
>"J. Yazel" <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in message
>:
>: How can I disable the Win98 swap file?
>:
>: It causes some of my processing to occur out of sequence
>: and I would like to prevent that from happening.
>:
>: This is relating to my own programming.
>:
>: Thanks for any help.
>:
>: Jack
>: ===========================

It's only locked to you and I.

I'm looking for a way to have Windows do it (without re-booting constantly).

Thanks.

Jack

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:54:12 -0600, "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote:

>In addition to Gary's response, be aware that some programs expect to see a
>swap file (even though they might not use it) and will not run properly
>without it.
==========

I definitely will be very careful during the disable period.

Thanks.

Jack

It's not the swap file that's causing you a problem. Whether or not the swap
file is involved in a copy operation should be completely invisible to a
properly written program, whether DOS or Windows.

You need to investigate why the messages from the copy or compare process
aren't properly handled by your application. From your description it seems
that you are invoking DOS utilities to do the copy and compare for you.
This can mean that your application is not around to handle the error codes
returned by these processes. I can't think of any other way that your
program could be 'almost finished' before these messages are generated.

If this is the way that the program is written, you need to look at how it
is invoking these processes, and what you can change to ensure that it waits
until the process is completed before either moving on to the next task or
handling the returned error.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

Jeff Richards wrote:
> It's not the swap file that's causing you a problem. Whether or not the
swap
> file is involved in a copy operation should be completely invisible to a
> properly written program, whether DOS or Windows.

Exactly.

> You need to investigate why the messages from the copy or compare process
> aren't properly handled by your application. From your description it
seems
> that you are invoking DOS utilities to do the copy and compare for you.
> This can mean that your application is not around to handle the error
codes
> returned by these processes. I can't think of any other way that your
> program could be 'almost finished' before these messages are generated.
>
> If this is the way that the program is written, you need to look at how it
> is invoking these processes, and what you can change to ensure that it
waits
> until the process is completed before either moving on to the next task or
> handling the returned error.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "J. Yazel" <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in message
>> snip <
>>
>> Thanks for the answer. However, I didn't clearly state what I need.
>>
>> First, the program I am referring to is not a Windows program, but an
>> assembler (MASM) program. It is a mass copy program that I use very
>> frequently between machines. I wrote my own because I have from time to
>> time various versions of Windows and DOS and most backup programs
>> don't cover this. In addition, most backup programs don't compare the
>> source and target files after the copy. I'm a nut case when it comes to
>> making sure that a copy is in fact, valid.
>>
>> The program, however, must be able to run in a Windows DOS window
>> to prevent loss of the long file names.
>>
>> More importantly, I don't want to disable the swap file permanently.
>> Ninety-
>> five percent of the time it will be enabled. It will be disabled only
when
>> am running this program (or something similar).
>>
>> When I run the program, the disk writes and reads actually work against
>> the
>> swap file almost the whole time. The program is almost finished when the
>> "real" disk I/O gets going. Therefore, if any error occurs during the
>> "real"
>> I/O, the program can't handle it. Typical errors include different bytes
>> in
>> the source and target files, different file dates, times, size, etc.
>>
>> I was actually looking for a way to disable the swap file only during the
>> run of a specific program.
>>
>> I do appreciate your attempt to help.
>>
>> Jack

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jeff can the swap file in 98SE easily be hacked? TIA

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
[...]
: > snip <
: >

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:44:40 +1100, "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au>
wrote:

>It's not the swap file that's causing you a problem. Whether or not the swap
>file is involved in a copy operation should be completely invisible to a
>properly written program, whether DOS or Windows.
>
>You need to investigate why the messages from the copy or compare process
>aren't properly handled by your application. From your description it seems
>that you are invoking DOS utilities to do the copy and compare for you.
>This can mean that your application is not around to handle the error codes
>returned by these processes. I can't think of any other way that your
>program could be 'almost finished' before these messages are generated.
>
>If this is the way that the program is written, you need to look at how it
>is invoking these processes, and what you can change to ensure that it waits
>until the process is completed before either moving on to the next task or
>handling the returned error.
================

Thanks very much for the response.

Jack

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Have you tried calling Microsoft and asking them. If you cannot figure it
out then maybe I will give them yet another call --- remember 98SE is now
only paid support so you may be on your own with this one.

: >:
: >: This is relating to my own programming.
: >:
: >: Thanks for any help.
: >:
: >: Jack
: >: ===========================
:
: It's only locked to you and I.
:
: I'm looking for a way to have Windows do it (without re-booting
constantly).
:
: Thanks.
:
: Jack
:
:

J. Yazel <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in

> When I run the program, the disk writes and reads actually work
> against the
> swap file almost the whole time. The program is almost finished when
> the "real" disk I/O gets going. Therefore, if any error occurs during
> the "real" I/O, the program can't handle it. Typical errors include
> different bytes in the source and target files, different file dates,
> times, size, etc.

I don't think you want to turn off the swap file, you want to turn off the
disk cache. That, i think, can be done via a registry setting that I don't
know offhand.

the function of the swap file is different, It stores inactive executable
and data memory so you can run more programs than physical ram will allow,
but it doesn't act as a disk cache. It would be useless to have a disk
cache reside on a the same physical media that you're trying to cache, it
would seriously hurt performace rather than help.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:00:05 +0000 (UTC), hashi <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>I don't think you want to turn off the swap file, you want to turn off the
>disk cache. That, i think, can be done via a registry setting that I don't
>know offhand.
>
>the function of the swap file is different, It stores inactive executable
>and data memory so you can run more programs than physical ram will allow,
>but it doesn't act as a disk cache. It would be useless to have a disk
>cache reside on a the same physical media that you're trying to cache, it
>would seriously hurt performace rather than help.

===============================

Great!! You have just made my day (by ruining my plans).

I've been working on the wrong thing all of this time.

Now I can start over by learning about the disk cache. I don't know
how I ignored that. Probably because I don't program the O/S, I guess.

Many thanks (seriously).

Jack

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you and on to editing the registry yet again.
<boys and girls --- make sure you all back-up the registry before editing it
so you will have a back-up and I do not suggest even tinkering with the
registry unless you have an expert by your side or you are the expert> LOL!!
:~>

"hashi" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
[...]

Another suggestion is finding a friend who will help you with your computer.

: >:
: >: This is relating to my own programming.
: >:
: >: Thanks for any help.
: >:
: >: Jack
: >: ===========================
:
: It's only locked to you and I.
:
: I'm looking for a way to have Windows do it (without re-booting
constantly).
:
: Thanks.
:
: Jack
:
:

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, Jack -- Jeff Richards, MVP really knows a lot and I am really glad that
he is in this newsgroup. :>

:
: ================
:
: Thanks very much for the response.
:
: Jack
:

It's just a file like any other - not encoded or anything. So I guess it
wouldn't be difficult to access it. Why you would want to is a mystery.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> Jeff can the swap file in 98SE easily be hacked? TIA

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It is a mystery to me as well but as of this year it seems like the whole
Chaos theory that Gary S. Terhune was talking about is taking effect. I
definately am going to read that book now that these events have happened.
Have a great day and I was sad about the shooting that happened yesterday on
the remote and poor Native American Reservation.

In Memory of One of the Greatest MVPs,
Alex Nichol (You will always be in our Hearts here at Microsoft)

: It's just a file like any other - not encoded or anything. So I guess it
: wouldn't be difficult to access it. Why you would want to is a mystery.
: --
: Jeff Richards
: MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
: news:e1Sf6AjLFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: > Jeff can the swap file in 98SE easily be hacked? TIA
:
:

The disk cache is essentially the same as the swap file as far as your
problem is concerned - if the program is written properly it doesn't know or
care whether Windows is caching the files or not. All that detail is taken
care of by the operating system.

If your program is bypassing Windows and accessing the disk directly then
Windows' caching will be an issue.

Why not post the segment of code in which you actually invoke the file copy
operation or the file compare operation? That way someone can see if
there's a different way of doing it that can avoid the problem.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)