Can't get wireless card to connect to router

Hi. I've got a 2wire SBC DSL modem/wireless router in my study, and a
windows 98 SE desktop across the house. I can't get my new wireless card
(linksys WMP54G) in the desktop to connect to the router.

Now here's the weird part: I have a laptop with a linksys WPC54G card, and
it connects to the router just fine, so it's not a problem with the router,
and I have another router in my room (Linksys WRT54G), which my desktop (the
one with the new Linksys WMP54G) connects to effortlessly, so it's not a
problem with the wireless card.

Whenever I go to the WMP54G's Wireless Network Monitor and press "connect"
on the linksys router's SSID it immediately confirms that I'm connected, but
when I go to the 2wire's SSID and enter the WEP key (which I'm positive I
have right) and press "connect," it just sits there forever and refuses to
connect.

I've been all over the net and nowhere does there seem to be an answer to my
question. How is it possible for a computer to connect to one router, but
not to the other???
8 answers Last reply
More about wireless card connect router

    I would switch to wired using USB cables or Ethernet cables since wireless
    technology is not secure and can easily be hacked by people in cars with the
    proper technology. Also, Bluetooth is easily hacked. Microsoft needs to fix
    or replace this technology because it is not secure and private. Finally,
    keep your social security number private at all costs and treat it like it is
    the most valuable thing you own because it really is as far as your identity
    is concerned. Have a nice day and I hope you switch to wired technology
    since wireless technology leads to identity theft.

    :
[...]

    Dan. We know you are full of good advice on security, but you did not
    answer the questions asked. Therefore your answer is worthless and should
    not have been published.

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
    >I would switch to wired using USB cables or Ethernet cables since wireless
    > technology is not secure and can easily be hacked by people in cars with
    > the
    > proper technology. Also, Bluetooth is easily hacked. Microsoft needs to
    > fix
    > or replace this technology because it is not secure and private. Finally,
    > keep your social security number private at all costs and treat it like it
    > is
    > the most valuable thing you own because it really is as far as your
    > identity
    > is concerned. Have a nice day and I hope you switch to wired technology
    > since wireless technology leads to identity theft.
    >
    > "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > : Hi. I've got a 2wire SBC DSL modem/wireless router in my study, and a
    > : windows 98 SE desktop across the house. I can't get my new wireless
    > card
    > : (linksys WMP54G) in the desktop to connect to the router.
    > :
    > : Now here's the weird part: I have a laptop with a linksys WPC54G card,
    > and
    > : it connects to the router just fine, so it's not a problem with the
    > router,
    > : and I have another router in my room (Linksys WRT54G), which my desktop
    > (the
    > : one with the new Linksys WMP54G) connects to effortlessly, so it's not a
    > : problem with the wireless card.
    > :
    > : Whenever I go to the WMP54G's Wireless Network Monitor and press
    > "connect"
    > : on the linksys router's SSID it immediately confirms that I'm connected,
    > but
    > : when I go to the 2wire's SSID and enter the WEP key (which I'm positive
    > : have right) and press "connect," it just sits there forever and refuses
    > : connect.
    > :
    > : I've been all over the net and nowhere does there seem to be an answer
    > my
    > : question. How is it possible for a computer to connect to one router,
    > but
    > : not to the other???

    The last "router" thread had a successful ending with...

    "Eugene F." wrote in message
    | Thanks. You were right.
    |
    | IPCONFIG /release_all and IPCONFIG/renew_all - all it took to fix.

    This was the complaint...
    "Eugene F." wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | I have three computer at home - all connected to the same Linksys
    | router/firewall. One have wire connection and two - wireless.
    |
    | One wireless computer does not seem to be able to connect to any of
    | CitiBank sites, while others have no problem. Sites of other banks
    | (for example, Chase Online) work normally.
    ....snip

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Hi. I've got a 2wire SBC DSL modem/wireless router in my study, and a
    | windows 98 SE desktop across the house. I can't get my new wireless
    card
    | (linksys WMP54G) in the desktop to connect to the router.
    |
    | Now here's the weird part: I have a laptop with a linksys WPC54G card,
    and
    | it connects to the router just fine, so it's not a problem with the
    router,
    | and I have another router in my room (Linksys WRT54G), which my
    desktop (the
    | one with the new Linksys WMP54G) connects to effortlessly, so it's not
    | problem with the wireless card.
    |
    | Whenever I go to the WMP54G's Wireless Network Monitor and press
    "connect"
    | on the linksys router's SSID it immediately confirms that I'm
    connected, but
    | when I go to the 2wire's SSID and enter the WEP key (which I'm
    positive I
    | have right) and press "connect," it just sits there forever and
    refuses to
    | connect.
    |
    | I've been all over the net and nowhere does there seem to be an answer
    to my
    | question. How is it possible for a computer to connect to one router,
    but
    | not to the other???

    Thanks -- saved by PCR.

    : "Eugene F." wrote in message
    : news:1111362092.434845.245850@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    : | Thanks. You were right.
    : |
    : "Eugene F." wrote in message
    : news:1111330358.637869.143350@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    : | Hi,
    : |
    : | I have three computer at home - all connected to the same Linksys
    : | router/firewall. One have wire connection and two - wireless.
    : |
    : | One wireless computer does not seem to be able to connect to any of
    : | CitiBank sites, while others have no problem. Sites of other banks
    : | (for example, Chase Online) work normally.
    : ...snip
    :
    :
    : --
[...]

    No, it was my mistake and it should have been a new topic -- this information
    is not worthless --- cyber security needs to be elevated in the U.S.A. to
    meet the ever-evolving national security threat. Sorry but I disagree and
    have a nice day Richard.

    Over and Out from Tucson, Arizona

    "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
[...]
    : >
    : > "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    : > news:17332D4D-A6A6-416C-9CAF-2E3E2A949511@microsoft.com...
    : > : Hi. I've got a 2wire SBC DSL modem/wireless router in my study, and a
    : > : windows 98 SE desktop across the house. I can't get my new wireless
    : > card
    : > : (linksys WMP54G) in the desktop to connect to the router.
    : > :
[...]
    : > : connect.
    : > :
    : > : I've been all over the net and nowhere does there seem to be an answer
    : > my
    : > : question. How is it possible for a computer to connect to one router,
    : > but
    : > : not to the other???
    : >
    : >
    :
    :

    <<< The last "router" thread ... >>>

    Just for the record, I never considered it a router problem. I knew
    that something was wrong with a computer set-up, just could not figure
    out what exactly without the extra help.

    Well, that instruction seem harmless enough, IPConfig, I mean. No one
    gave you any warnings against it, did they? I am aware confused's
    circumstance is not identical to yours, near as a comparison between his
    language & yours can tell. But there may be more to it!

    --
    "Eugene F." <pm771.am@gmail.com> wrote in message
    | <<< The last "router" thread ... >>>
    |
    | Just for the record, I never considered it a router problem. I knew
    | that something was wrong with a computer set-up, just could not figure
    | out what exactly without the extra help.

    Yet, there seems to be an objection by one of the principals of that
    thread I quoted!

    --
    | Thanks -- saved by PCR.

    | : The last "router" thread had a successful ending with...
    | :
    | : "Eugene F." wrote in message
    | : news:1111362092.434845.245850@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    | : | Thanks. You were right.
    | : |
    | : | IPCONFIG /release_all and IPCONFIG/renew_all - all it took to fix.
    | :
    | : This was the complaint...
    | : "Eugene F." wrote in message
    | : news:1111330358.637869.143350@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    | : | Hi,
    | : |
    | : | I have three computer at home - all connected to the same Linksys
    | : | router/firewall. One have wire connection and two - wireless.
    | : |
    | : | One wireless computer does not seem to be able to connect to any
    of
    | : | CitiBank sites, while others have no problem. Sites of other
    banks
    | : | (for example, Chase Online) work normally.
    | : ...snip
    | :
    | :
    | : --
    | : Thanks or Good Luck,
    | : There may be humor in this post, and,
    | : Naturally, you will not sue,
    | : should things get worse after this,
    | : PCR
    | : pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | : "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | : news:17332D4D-A6A6-416C-9CAF-2E3E2A949511@microsoft.com...
    | : | Hi. I've got a 2wire SBC DSL modem/wireless router in my study,
    and a
    | : | windows 98 SE desktop across the house. I can't get my new
    wireless
    | : card
    | : | (linksys WMP54G) in the desktop to connect to the router.
    | : |
    | : | Now here's the weird part: I have a laptop with a linksys WPC54G
    card,
    | : and
    | : | it connects to the router just fine, so it's not a problem with
    the
    | : router,
    | : | and I have another router in my room (Linksys WRT54G), which my
    | : desktop (the
    | : | one with the new Linksys WMP54G) connects to effortlessly, so it's
    not
    | : a
    | : | problem with the wireless card.
    | : |
    | : | Whenever I go to the WMP54G's Wireless Network Monitor and press
    | : "connect"
    | : | on the linksys router's SSID it immediately confirms that I'm
    | : connected, but
    | : | when I go to the 2wire's SSID and enter the WEP key (which I'm
    | : positive I
    | : | have right) and press "connect," it just sits there forever and
    | : refuses to
    | : | connect.
    | : |
    | : | I've been all over the net and nowhere does there seem to be an
    answer
    | : to my
    | : | question. How is it possible for a computer to connect to one
    router,
    | : but
    | : | not to the other???
    | :
    | :

Wireless Routers Connection Linksys Windows