Adding a Maxtor 160gig in Windows 98SE?

H'lo, I know this has probably been discussed before but I didn't get
any answers to my inquiries regarding new procedures. As my subject
suggests, I want to buy a 160 gigger from Maxtor at Staples this week
and add it as I do a lot of recording and save some large files from
the Net. Now, how do I go about adding this 2nd drive without a lot of
problemas. Do I have to add that patch from that Robert guy that helps
the OS to recognize 48bit is it drives, or update bios, which I have
tried a million times, but ACER support didn't cooperate with, or when
I buy the Maxtor retail drive it comes with a MAXmagic software thingie
that assists you to fdisk and partition etc.

If there is a simple procedure that has been tried and tested that
works, please enlighten me. I think there are some workarounds from
some of the messages I have unearthed from past discussions, but
realize that a lot of these issues have been resolved over the past few
years with the introduction of these large drives, 160 and up. One
thing I did notice was that 137 gig was a plateau of some sort and
Windows 98SE didn't take kindly to some sort of partition size, and
finally something about using Maxmagic to partition drives, in advanced
form, and making them only about 60 or 80 gig, esp. for defragging
which will have to be done eventually. Anyway, enough inquiring, please
assist me and thanks for listening, Derrick
32 answers Last reply
More about adding maxtor 160gig windows 98se

    The Boxed 160 Gig drive at staples on sale for around $100something plustax
    comes with maxtor's MaxBlast and PowerMax software,Both Windows & bootable
    DOS versions, it makes drive installation simple, set the jumpers, plug in
    the drive powerup run the software, follow the prompts, easy. can even be
    done within windows without rebooting
    this has the 160G configured to a bundle of 30.G drives & one 10G bootable
    volume in case other primary drive fails, use the ghosting function to keep
    the OS copy up to date, Bought it friday a week ago, the install was just
    too easy,
    C: to S: assorted volumes on various drives, its been playtime here,
    re-sizing all the drive partitions,
    on older pcs this is a p2 200, the installer adds a boot overlay to overcome
    bios limitations

    "psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > H'lo, I know this has probably been discussed before but I didn't get
    > any answers to my inquiries regarding new procedures. As my subject
    > suggests, I want to buy a 160 gigger from Maxtor at Staples this week
    > and add it as I do a lot of recording and save some large files from
    > the Net. Now, how do I go about adding this 2nd drive without a lot of
    > problemas. Do I have to add that patch from that Robert guy that helps
    > the OS to recognize 48bit is it drives, or update bios, which I have
    > tried a million times, but ACER support didn't cooperate with, or when
    > I buy the Maxtor retail drive it comes with a MAXmagic software thingie
    > that assists you to fdisk and partition etc.
    >
    > If there is a simple procedure that has been tried and tested that
    > works, please enlighten me. I think there are some workarounds from
    > some of the messages I have unearthed from past discussions, but
    > realize that a lot of these issues have been resolved over the past few
    > years with the introduction of these large drives, 160 and up. One
    > thing I did notice was that 137 gig was a plateau of some sort and
    > Windows 98SE didn't take kindly to some sort of partition size, and
    > finally something about using Maxmagic to partition drives, in advanced
    > form, and making them only about 60 or 80 gig, esp. for defragging
    > which will have to be done eventually. Anyway, enough inquiring, please
    > assist me and thanks for listening, Derrick

    As far as I know, W98 does not support a drive as large as you want
    regardless of how you partition it and data loss can result.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > H'lo, I know this has probably been discussed before but I didn't get
    > any answers to my inquiries regarding new procedures. As my subject
    > suggests, I want to buy a 160 gigger from Maxtor at Staples this week
    > and add it as I do a lot of recording and save some large files from
    > the Net. Now, how do I go about adding this 2nd drive without a lot of
    > problemas. Do I have to add that patch from that Robert guy that helps
    > the OS to recognize 48bit is it drives, or update bios, which I have
    > tried a million times, but ACER support didn't cooperate with, or when
    > I buy the Maxtor retail drive it comes with a MAXmagic software thingie
    > that assists you to fdisk and partition etc.
    >
    > If there is a simple procedure that has been tried and tested that
    > works, please enlighten me. I think there are some workarounds from
    > some of the messages I have unearthed from past discussions, but
    > realize that a lot of these issues have been resolved over the past few
    > years with the introduction of these large drives, 160 and up. One
    > thing I did notice was that 137 gig was a plateau of some sort and
    > Windows 98SE didn't take kindly to some sort of partition size, and
    > finally something about using Maxmagic to partition drives, in advanced
    > form, and making them only about 60 or 80 gig, esp. for defragging
    > which will have to be done eventually. Anyway, enough inquiring, please
    > assist me and thanks for listening, Derrick

    Very large HD's as of Feb 2003

    Please visit Maxtor and look at their FAQ about 200GB drives.
    http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=14RPmXBg&p_lva=&p_sp=&p_li=

    Typically, these large drives are still mostly not supported by
    motherboards and operating systems.
    Drives over 137 GB (or 127.5GB ) requires use of extended interrupt 13 with
    48 bit addressing.

    Typically, the easiest way to use a 200GB drive on a Win98 system
    is to use a separate IDE interface card for the drive.

    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > H'lo, I know this has probably been discussed before but I didn't get
    > any answers to my inquiries regarding new procedures. As my subject
    > suggests, I want to buy a 160 gigger from Maxtor at Staples this week
    > and add it as I do a lot of recording and save some large files from
    > the Net. Now, how do I go about adding this 2nd drive without a lot of
    > problemas. Do I have to add that patch from that Robert guy that helps
    > the OS to recognize 48bit is it drives, or update bios, which I have
    > tried a million times, but ACER support didn't cooperate with, or when
    > I buy the Maxtor retail drive it comes with a MAXmagic software thingie
    > that assists you to fdisk and partition etc.
    >
    > If there is a simple procedure that has been tried and tested that
    > works, please enlighten me. I think there are some workarounds from
    > some of the messages I have unearthed from past discussions, but
    > realize that a lot of these issues have been resolved over the past few
    > years with the introduction of these large drives, 160 and up. One
    > thing I did notice was that 137 gig was a plateau of some sort and
    > Windows 98SE didn't take kindly to some sort of partition size, and
    > finally something about using Maxmagic to partition drives, in advanced
    > form, and making them only about 60 or 80 gig, esp. for defragging
    > which will have to be done eventually. Anyway, enough inquiring, please
    > assist me and thanks for listening, Derrick

    If you want to use 98SE and the only way that I know around the 137 gigabyte
    98SE software limit is a hardware device called a controller card. Try and
    Google controller card for more information. Have a nice day! :o

    :
    : If there is a simple procedure that has been tried and tested that
    : works, please enlighten me. I think there are some workarounds from
    : some of the messages I have unearthed from past discussions, but
    : realize that a lot of these issues have been resolved over the past few
    : years with the introduction of these large drives, 160 and up. One
    : thing I did notice was that 137 gig was a plateau of some sort and
    : Windows 98SE didn't take kindly to some sort of partition size, and
    : finally something about using Maxmagic to partition drives, in advanced
    : form, and making them only about 60 or 80 gig, esp. for defragging
    : which will have to be done eventually. Anyway, enough inquiring, please
    : assist me and thanks for listening, Derrick
    :

    "psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > H'lo, I know this has probably been discussed before but I didn't get
    > any answers to my inquiries regarding new procedures. As my subject
    > suggests, I want to buy a 160 gigger from Maxtor at Staples this week
    > and add it as I do a lot of recording and save some large files from
    > the Net. Now, how do I go about adding this 2nd drive without a lot of
    > problemas. Do I have to add that patch from that Robert guy that helps
    > the OS to recognize 48bit is it drives, or update bios, which I have
    > tried a million times, but ACER support didn't cooperate with, or when
    > I buy the Maxtor retail drive it comes with a MAXmagic software thingie
    > that assists you to fdisk and partition etc.
    >

    > If there is a simple procedure that has been tried and tested that
    > works

    Yes!

    > please enlighten me. I think there are some workarounds from
    > some of the messages I have unearthed from past discussions, but
    > realize that a lot of these issues have been resolved over the past few
    > years with the introduction of these large drives, 160 and up. One
    > thing I did notice was that 137 gig was a plateau of some sort and
    > Windows 98SE didn't take kindly to some sort of partition size, and
    > finally something about using Maxmagic to partition drives, in advanced
    > form, and making them only about 60 or 80 gig, esp. for defragging

    Yes that's correct and you have done your homework on that one, although the
    correct size for that issue is to have no one partition larger than 128 GB
    (137 billion bytes) for scandisk or defrag to work correctly. The other
    limitation of W98 is that (as it exists now) does not support larger than
    137GB drives; however, both limitations are easily resolved by using a
    controller card as well as partitioning the drive appropriately.

    The best way when using a large hard drive like your new 160GB HD
    (i use a 250) is to use a PCI card controller; besides bypassing the W98
    limitation it offers many other excellent advantages, like extra ports
    allowing various capabilities not available otherwise, also importantly using
    the card for W98x especially with the faster processors these days, the card
    gives the remarkable ability (similar to an application accelerator but
    better) ..to Dramatically improve overall data transfer speed system wide;
    actually W2K & WXP show an improvement as well.

    I would not run a W98 system without a card irregardless of hard drive size,
    and for that matter W2K/WXP as well

    You can use whichever brand card you like, even your Maxtor company has one
    although Promise makes it for them and others - which I've found you'll
    pay more for them and as well usually have to update its drivers and flash it
    too, and so it just makes good sense to go to the source itself and get
    the latest version of the Promise ULTRA133 TX2. You can get it from the link
    below or anywhere else you want to buy it, but the one below comes with a hq
    80wire cable and it's bios is already flashed to the very latest, also comes
    with a manual and new driver floppy.

    Here's just one of many places to get it:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-102-007&depa=0

    Rick

    ..........ps
    ~(naturally just be sure you have an open pci slot to plug it in)
    ~(this link is to a (P)ATA version which i assume your new HD is,
    and not a SATA drive)

    Rick, sorry I posted my reply after I refreshed and saw that you answered the
    question already. Please forgive my intrusion. BTW, what is the best
    manufacturer and best controller card in your opinion? The one that has the
    best hardware and associated drivers for 98SE --- please/ For example for
    motherboards I like ASUS and for hardrives Western Digital has worked really
    well for me. Also, Creative has worked well for sound cards while I much
    prefer ATI for graphic cards since I learned NVIDIA outsources their products
    and ATI is from Canada which I like because I think Canadians are really nice
    and kind people and I have Canadian blood flowing in me and am a true
    American Mutt --- LOL.

    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    : "psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : news:1111390865.235319.272930@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com
    : > H'lo, I know this has probably been discussed before but I didn't get
    : > any answers to my inquiries regarding new procedures. As my subject
    : > suggests, I want to buy a 160 gigger from Maxtor at Staples this week
    : > and add it as I do a lot of recording and save some large files from
    : > the Net. Now, how do I go about adding this 2nd drive without a lot of
    : > problemas. Do I have to add that patch from that Robert guy that helps
    : > the OS to recognize 48bit is it drives, or update bios, which I have
    : > tried a million times, but ACER support didn't cooperate with, or when
    : > I buy the Maxtor retail drive it comes with a MAXmagic software thingie
    : > that assists you to fdisk and partition etc.
    : >
    : >
[...]

    OKay, I'm sort of in the same boat here ( Titanic? ) and have been doing a
    lot of reeading myself... so much so that I have managed to confuse myself
    :). I bought a Maxtor 200GB drive recently and would like to be able to use
    Win98SE with it. I know the Win98SE boot disk/version of FDisk will not see
    /partition the whole drive so I was thinking baout using an install CD with
    Windows XP sp1 to partition and format the drive ( Not too wild about
    Maxtor's Maxblast software. ). Once partitioned and formatted, I should
    then be able to install Win98SE in the first partition and have a few other
    partitions for other stuff " MP3's/movies/applications,etc. ). I was even
    thinking of installing the aforementioned Windows XP sp1 and setting up a
    dual boot system. Am I missing anything here or am I just begging for data
    loss? Please advise.

    Thanks in advance,
    Koolnite

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in

    > If you want to use 98SE and the only way that I know around the 137
    > gigabyte 98SE software limit is a hardware device called a controller
    > card. Try and Google controller card for more information. Have a
    > nice day! :o
    >
    > "psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >: H'lo, I know this has probably been discussed before but I didn't get
    >: any answers to my inquiries regarding new procedures. As my subject
    >: suggests, I want to buy a 160 gigger from Maxtor at Staples this week
    >: and add it as I do a lot of recording and save some large files from
    >: the Net. Now, how do I go about adding this 2nd drive without a lot
    >: of problemas. Do I have to add that patch from that Robert guy that
    >: helps the OS to recognize 48bit is it drives, or update bios, which I
    >: have tried a million times, but ACER support didn't cooperate with,
    >: or when I buy the Maxtor retail drive it comes with a MAXmagic
    >: software thingie that assists you to fdisk and partition etc.
    >:
    >: If there is a simple procedure that has been tried and tested that
    >: works, please enlighten me. I think there are some workarounds from
    >: some of the messages I have unearthed from past discussions, but
    >: realize that a lot of these issues have been resolved over the past
    >: few years with the introduction of these large drives, 160 and up.
    >: One thing I did notice was that 137 gig was a plateau of some sort
    >: and Windows 98SE didn't take kindly to some sort of partition size,
    >: and finally something about using Maxmagic to partition drives, in
    >: advanced form, and making them only about 60 or 80 gig, esp. for
    >: defragging which will have to be done eventually. Anyway, enough
    >: inquiring, please assist me and thanks for listening, Derrick
    >:

    According to MS, W98 cannot handle a hard drive over 137 gb (aprx) ,
    regardless if you have multiple partitions, none of which exceed 137 gb.
    What I was told is that when a partition starts to be filled to its limit,
    data loss will probably occur. If you want to invest some money, there is a
    possible get around. For details: http://www.48bitlba.com/win98.htm
    Personally, I'd switch to XP
    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98

    "Kool Knight" <Koolnite@nooneknows.ca> wrote in message
    > OKay, I'm sort of in the same boat here ( Titanic? ) and have been doing a
    > lot of reeading myself... so much so that I have managed to confuse myself
    > :). I bought a Maxtor 200GB drive recently and would like to be able to
    > use
    > Win98SE with it. I know the Win98SE boot disk/version of FDisk will not
    > see
    > /partition the whole drive so I was thinking baout using an install CD
    > with
    > Windows XP sp1 to partition and format the drive ( Not too wild about
    > Maxtor's Maxblast software. ). Once partitioned and formatted, I should
    > then be able to install Win98SE in the first partition and have a few
    > other
    > partitions for other stuff " MP3's/movies/applications,etc. ). I was even
    > thinking of installing the aforementioned Windows XP sp1 and setting up a
    > dual boot system. Am I missing anything here or am I just begging for data
    > loss? Please advise.
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Koolnite
    >

    > "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in
    >
    >> If you want to use 98SE and the only way that I know around the 137
    >> gigabyte 98SE software limit is a hardware device called a controller
    >> card. Try and Google controller card for more information. Have a
    >> nice day! :o
    >>
    >> "psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>: H'lo, I know this has probably been discussed before but I didn't get
    >>: any answers to my inquiries regarding new procedures. As my subject
    >>: suggests, I want to buy a 160 gigger from Maxtor at Staples this week
    >>: and add it as I do a lot of recording and save some large files from
    >>: the Net. Now, how do I go about adding this 2nd drive without a lot
    >>: of problemas. Do I have to add that patch from that Robert guy that
    >>: helps the OS to recognize 48bit is it drives, or update bios, which I
    >>: have tried a million times, but ACER support didn't cooperate with,
    >>: or when I buy the Maxtor retail drive it comes with a MAXmagic
    >>: software thingie that assists you to fdisk and partition etc.
    >>:
    >>: If there is a simple procedure that has been tried and tested that
    >>: works, please enlighten me. I think there are some workarounds from
    >>: some of the messages I have unearthed from past discussions, but
    >>: realize that a lot of these issues have been resolved over the past
    >>: few years with the introduction of these large drives, 160 and up.
    >>: One thing I did notice was that 137 gig was a plateau of some sort
    >>: and Windows 98SE didn't take kindly to some sort of partition size,
    >>: and finally something about using Maxmagic to partition drives, in
    >>: advanced form, and making them only about 60 or 80 gig, esp. for
    >>: defragging which will have to be done eventually. Anyway, enough
    >>: inquiring, please assist me and thanks for listening, Derrick
    >>:

    I agree with Ron Badour. I wouldn't risk it. 98 was written to
    work with 28-bit LBA. While some code may be ok, due to the fact that
    if written in a higher level languagem, particular code may be able to
    handle up to 32-bits without a problem, all it takes is one routine/function
    to truncate a 32-bit sector address to 28 bits to screw it up.

    Your Maxtor may have a jumper to limit its capacity to 137GB. It
    may be labeled "Cap limit". Either that, or set it up so XP starts
    just before the boundary and don't let 98 access it (i.e. format
    XP, and any subsequent volumes using NTFS)

    Ron Badour wrote:
    > According to MS, W98 cannot handle a hard drive over 137 gb (aprx) ,
    > regardless if you have multiple partitions, none of which exceed 137 gb.
    > What I was told is that when a partition starts to be filled to its limit,
    > data loss will probably occur. If you want to invest some money, there is a
    > possible get around. For details: http://www.48bitlba.com/win98.htm
    > Personally, I'd switch to XP

    I've got a similar problem. I had myself convinced that I could use a
    USB2 external drive to get a bigger archive drive on the system.
    Can I NOT use a 400GB drive via USB2 using win98SE???

    Thanks, mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    AFAIK, the same limitations do not apply to External USB HDs. Maxtor
    specifically states that Win98SE is supported for their standard consumer
    models. I'm also almost certain that I've used my Maxtor Externals with
    Win98SE--my memory ain't so good these days, so I'm not totally sure, but
    almost.

    I think it's more the IDE interface that Win9x has issues with.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    "mike" <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Ron Badour wrote:
    >> According to MS, W98 cannot handle a hard drive over 137 gb (aprx) ,
    >> regardless if you have multiple partitions, none of which exceed 137 gb.
    >> What I was told is that when a partition starts to be filled to its
    >> limit, data loss will probably occur. If you want to invest some money,
    >> there is a possible get around. For details:
    >> http://www.48bitlba.com/win98.htm Personally, I'd switch to XP
    >
    > I've got a similar problem. I had myself convinced that I could use a
    > USB2 external drive to get a bigger archive drive on the system.
    > Can I NOT use a 400GB drive via USB2 using win98SE???
    >
    > Thanks, mike
    >
    > --
    > Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
    > with links. Delete this sig when replying.
    > .
    > Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
    > FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
    > Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    > Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
    > MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
    > ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

    Kool Knight <Koolnite@nooneknows.ca> wrote in

    > OKay, I'm sort of in the same boat here ( Titanic? ) and have been
    > doing a lot of reeading myself... so much so that I have managed to
    > confuse myself
    >:). I bought a Maxtor 200GB drive recently and would like to be able to
    >:use
    > Win98SE with it. I know the Win98SE boot disk/version of FDisk will
    > not see /partition the whole drive so I was thinking baout using an
    > install CD with Windows XP sp1 to partition and format the drive ( Not
    > too wild about Maxtor's Maxblast software. ). Once partitioned and
    > formatted, I should then be able to install Win98SE in the first
    > partition and have a few other partitions for other stuff "
    > MP3's/movies/applications,etc. ). I was even thinking of installing
    > the aforementioned Windows XP sp1 and setting up a dual boot system.
    > Am I missing anything here or am I just begging for data loss? Please
    > advise.
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Koolnite
    >P.S. I have an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard and have upgraded the BIOS to
    version 1010. It sees the full capacity of the new drive so no problems
    there.

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in

    > According to MS, W98 cannot handle a hard drive over 137 gb (aprx) ,
    > regardless if you have multiple partitions, none of which exceed 137
    > gb. What I was told is that when a partition starts to be filled to
    > its limit, data loss will probably occur. If you want to invest some
    > money, there is a possible get around. For details:
    > http://www.48bitlba.com/win98.htm Personally, I'd switch to XP

    *sigh* I thought it was too good to be true. OKay, guess I will return the
    200GB drive and get an 80 GB drive instead to supplement the 80GB Maxtor
    drive I already have. At least I will have 160GB and Windows 98 should be
    able to see them both and I can still setup a dual boot for those
    applications that just have to run on Windows XP. Thanks for all your
    advice guys.

    Cheers,
    Koolnite

    You do not have to return the drive. If you have an open PCI slot, purchase an
    add-on controller card. They have their own BIOS and support LBA 48bit
    addressing without a problem. I use them in 2 machines, one of which runs 98SE.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102007

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in

    > AFAIK, the same limitations do not apply to External USB HDs. Maxtor
    > specifically states that Win98SE is supported for their standard
    > consumer models. I'm also almost certain that I've used my Maxtor
    > Externals with Win98SE--my memory ain't so good these days, so I'm not
    > totally sure, but almost.
    >
    > I think it's more the IDE interface that Win9x has issues with.

    Well, I've got three drives... a 20GB Seagate, a 40GB WD, and an 80GB
    Maxtor drive I have been using all of them for the last 4 years or so. I
    was really impressed with the Maxtor 80 GB drive and wanted to be able to
    put everything on one big drive rather than always be swapping drives in
    and out of my case ( I also have a DVD drive and a DVD Writer on my second
    IDE channel ). My preferred OS is Windows 98SE and only use Windows XP for
    those applications which demand it ( will not run in Win98 ). I refuse to
    give up my Windows 98SE so I will see if I can switch the 200GB drive for
    an 80GB Maxtor ( Least that way I will have 160GB and ( hopefully ) no
    problems.

    Let's be real clear here: You're talking about an internal IDE drive
    (right?) We're talking about External USB2 drives. Major differences exist.
    One thing I'm fairly certain of is that you can't (or wouldn't want to) run
    Windows 98SE from an external HD.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in
    >
    >> AFAIK, the same limitations do not apply to External USB HDs. Maxtor
    >> specifically states that Win98SE is supported for their standard
    >> consumer models. I'm also almost certain that I've used my Maxtor
    >> Externals with Win98SE--my memory ain't so good these days, so I'm not
    >> totally sure, but almost.
    >>
    >> I think it's more the IDE interface that Win9x has issues with.
    >>

    > Well, I've got three drives... a 20GB Seagate, a 40GB WD, and an 80GB
    > Maxtor drive I have been using all of them for the last 4 years or so. I
    > was really impressed with the Maxtor 80 GB drive and wanted to be able to
    > put everything on one big drive rather than always be swapping drives in
    > and out of my case ( I also have a DVD drive and a DVD Writer on my second
    > IDE channel ). My preferred OS is Windows 98SE and only use Windows XP for
    > those applications which demand it ( will not run in Win98 ). I refuse to
    > give up my Windows 98SE so I will see if I can switch the 200GB drive for
    > an 80GB Maxtor ( Least that way I will have 160GB and ( hopefully ) no
    > problems.

    "mike" <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Ron Badour wrote:
    > > According to MS, W98 cannot handle a hard drive over 137 gb (aprx) ,
    > > regardless if you have multiple partitions, none of which exceed 137 gb.
    > > What I was told is that when a partition starts to be filled to its limit,
    > > data loss will probably occur. If you want to invest some money, there is a
    > > possible get around. For details: http://www.48bitlba.com/win98.htm
    > > Personally, I'd switch to XP
    >
    > I've got a similar problem. I had myself convinced that I could use a
    > USB2 external drive to get a bigger archive drive on the system.
    > Can I NOT use a 400GB drive via USB2 using win98SE???
    >
    > Thanks, mike

    I partitioned a 160 GB IDE drive within a USB 2 enclosure, and I could only get
    4 partitions using Win XP Home to partition and format it. The drive has three
    30,000 MB FAT 32 partitions and an approximately 60,000 MB NTFS partition as the
    last partition on the drive. I seem to have lost 10 GB somewhere. But both Win
    Me and Win 98SE get along fine with the drive, because the NTFS partition is
    invisible to them. Just keep your FAT 32 partitions below the 137 GB limit...but
    how many MB's is that?

    I tried copying some large files. In Win XP on a 1.6 Ghz Pentium 4 machine, I
    could copy 3,950 MB files at about 800 million bytes a minute to the external
    drive; while on the Win 98 SE, Pentium II, 350 Mhz machine, I could copy 2,100
    MB files at about 400 million bytes a minute to the external hard drive.

    While copying to the external drive from Win Me and Win 98SE, I get ridiculous
    "Time Remaining" numbers, like 692,439 minutes left in this copy process; but
    the copy process is finished on time in mere minutes instead of years. On Win
    XP, there is no problem like that.

    Mike could probably set up his 400 GB drive into 4 partitions with the first one
    being 120 GB of FAT 32, and the other 3 being divvied up as NTFS partitions.

    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    message news:MUQQe.45043$EX.9934@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

    > "mike" <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > I partitioned a 160 GB IDE drive within a USB 2 enclosure, and I could
    > only get
    > 4 partitions using Win XP Home to partition and format it.

    Standard partitioning utilities (like WinXP's) do not support more than four
    Primary partitions, one of which *may* be an Extended Partition. OS
    installation generally must be done to a Primary partition. An Extended
    partition can be sub-divided into innumerable Volumes (which look just like
    partitions in Windows.) If you want more than 4 Primary partitions
    (including Extended, if any) you need to use a 3rd-party partitioning app
    like BootIt NG. If you want an Extended partition with one or more Volumes,
    you need to use FDISK (in Win9x) or be *in* XP and use Disk Management (part
    of Administrative Tools\Computer Management.) WinXP's Setup can't do
    Extended partitions, only Primary partitions (limit 4).

    >The drive has three
    > 30,000 MB FAT 32 partitions and an approximately 60,000 MB NTFS partition
    > as the
    > last partition on the drive. I seem to have lost 10 GB somewhere.

    When you say 30,000MB, you are aware that that means 29.3GB, right? And that
    60,000MB = 58.6GB? In software terminology, 1024 bytes = 1KB, 1024KB = 1MB,
    etc.

    There's a difference in the way drive manufacturers count bytes and the way
    software people do. Hardware people think in decimal, such that 1000 bytes =
    1KB, 1000KB = 1MB, etc. What it boils down to is that even assuming the
    entire disk is occupied by usable space (it isn't, there's some overhead)
    what the drive manufacturer calls 160GB has 160,000,000,000 bytes. In
    software terms, that's only 149GB to Windows.
    ([[160000000000/1024]/1024]/1024)

    >But both Win
    > Me and Win 98SE get along fine with the drive, because the NTFS partition
    > is
    > invisible to them. Just keep your FAT 32 partitions below the 137 GB
    > limit...but
    > how many MB's is that?

    137GB * 1024MB/GB = 140288MB

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Let's be real clear here: You're talking about an internal IDE drive
    > (right?) We're talking about External USB2 drives. Major differences
    > exist. One thing I'm fairly certain of is that you can't (or wouldn't
    > want to) run Windows 98SE from an external HD.

    You are correct. I am talking about an internal IDE Maxtor 200GB drive.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    With the space limitations you have, why not do what I do? I only use
    internal drives for OS/APPS/TEMP/PAGE partitions, not for data storage. I
    use an external HD for data storage. My typical Win9x installation is 8GB
    for OS, 2-4GB for TEMP. Make the XP or 2000 OS partitions 20GB with 4GB
    TEMP. I put a paging drive of 4 GB at the beginning of each drive, then use
    it for any OS partition that *isn't* on the same drive (really, only two
    paging partitions are needed for this.) Any number of OS partitions can
    share the same paging partition.

    I put TEMP and Temporary Internet Files on the TEMP partition, one dedicated
    TEMP partition per OS partition (don't share these.) All OS partitions share
    data partitions on the external HD, which should be partitioned as one big
    Extended partition with numerous partitions to sort your data--one for
    Music, one for Video, one for My Documents, Outlook Express storage, etc.
    All OS partitions can share these storage partitions.

    Say you have two internal 80 GB drives. After deducting the overhead for
    paging partitions, you can, for instance, easily put six Win9x partitions on
    one drive, and three XP partitions on the other.

    Note: If you want your OS partitions to be invisible from other OS
    partitions, you need to use a 3rd-party boot manager like BootIt NG.
    Otherwise, any XP OS will see everything, and any 9x partition will see all
    any others that are on FAT32 volumes.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in
    >
    >> Let's be real clear here: You're talking about an internal IDE drive
    >> (right?) We're talking about External USB2 drives. Major differences
    >> exist. One thing I'm fairly certain of is that you can't (or wouldn't
    >> want to) run Windows 98SE from an external HD.
    >>

    > You are correct. I am talking about an internal IDE Maxtor 200GB drive.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in

    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102007

    Thanks Brian but, I think I am going to se about returning the drive and
    seeing if I can get a Maxtor 120 GB drive in it's place. Then I just keep
    the Maxtor 80GB drive I already have and, combined, these should give me
    the 200GB I want as well as both work fine in Windows 98 and, if I dual
    boot Windows XP. Once again, thanks for all your help and suggestions.

    Koolnite
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Kool Knight wrote:
    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in
    >
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102007
    >
    > Thanks Brian but, I think I am going to se about returning the drive and
    > seeing if I can get a Maxtor 120 GB drive in it's place. Then I just keep
    > the Maxtor 80GB drive I already have and, combined, these should give me
    > the 200GB I want as well as both work fine in Windows 98 and, if I dual
    > boot Windows XP. Once again, thanks for all your help and suggestions.
    >
    > Koolnite

    As Brian said and I agree for more reasons than one, is to use the exact
    pci card he points out.

    I run two 250GB maxtor drives flawlessly with it on W98SE, although of
    course without question partition it up appropriately anyway for all the
    benefits of that. There's no good reason to run a drive/partition of a
    200GB size that big anyway and has so many good reasons to partition it up
    into your favorite named categories; after all if you use it full you would
    of made named folders of your stuff anyway so it's so much better to do
    that same task with a few partitions with its benefits.

    With a 200+ GB drive you only need to have one drive running anyway, and so
    save the others for safety and on the spot plug in for special backups use.

    Staples has your 200GB 7200rpm Maxtor drive on sale this week for $79
    (tem #504517) which I hope you didn't pay anymore for it, but to return it
    to get a 120GB you might end up paying more as well as loose 80GB of space
    on top of it.. ..you must just not realize the full concepts in your
    retreat.

    Rick
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Kool Knight wrote:
    > > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in
    > >
    > >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102007
    > >
    > > Thanks Brian but, I think I am going to se about returning the drive and
    > > seeing if I can get a Maxtor 120 GB drive in it's place. Then I just
    keep
    > > the Maxtor 80GB drive I already have and, combined, these should give me
    > > the 200GB I want as well as both work fine in Windows 98 and, if I dual
    > > boot Windows XP. Once again, thanks for all your help and suggestions.

    Got a Fry's near you? Western Digital OK?

    http://www.netaffilia.com/ad/electronics/frys/i/2005/08/26/12097.html

    120GB for $20. Hurry, the offer ends TODAY.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Using a Western Digital 200GB here. But not as the OS boot drive.
    Partitioned/formatted FAT32 using 3rd party partitioning software. One
    partition is 99.9GB, other is 86.1GB. Scandisk in 98SE's real mode msdos
    has no problems with either partition. I do not use the windows defragment
    program, 3rd party instead. No DDO, bios sees entire hard drive.

    XP is limited to 32GB for creating FAT32 partitions, although XP can read
    any FAT32 size created with 3rd party software.

    In your shoes, I would do the following:
    Acquire a 3rd party partitioning tool made available to the public in the
    last two years. HD mfrs have these free of charge, but are slow and only
    work from a boot disk. Others, such as Partition Magic, cost money. Work
    in a windows environment and from a boot disk. The windows environment
    version is much faster for creating non-boot partitions. And, has other has
    assets, such as moving space from one partition to another.

    1st partition FAT32 @ 8GB. Install 98SE first, do nothing else at this
    point with the remaining hard drive free space.
    2nd partition NTFS w/XP install CD @26GB. XP's defragment will work on
    >128GB partitions in FAT32 or NTFS.
    Boot to 98SE, install 3rd party partitioning software. Create remaining
    partition(s) and format. PM does both in one fell swoop. Otherwise, use a
    boot disk version that takes more time.
    Some 3rd party boot managers offer a partitioning program as well. But, you
    don't need one.

    Two 3rd party defragmenters that come to mind that work both with FAT32 and
    XP's version of NTFS are PerfectDisk, and Diskeeper. They can be installed
    in 98SE or XP, or both. XP has a crippled version of Diskeeper, but is
    throrough enough for most people.

    One note about XP. It has no disk tools that can remove the active bit from
    a primary partition. It can only set another partition active on the same
    hard drive. This can be a booger if its NTFS. Requires 3rd party
    partitioning program such as PM.

> [...]
    > >: software thingie that assists you to fdisk and partition etc.
    > >:
    > >: If there is a simple procedure that has been tried and tested that
    > >: works, please enlighten me. I think there are some workarounds from
    > >: some of the messages I have unearthed from past discussions, but
    > >: realize that a lot of these issues have been resolved over the past
    > >: few years with the introduction of these large drives, 160 and up.
    > >: One thing I did notice was that 137 gig was a plateau of some sort
    > >: and Windows 98SE didn't take kindly to some sort of partition size,
    > >: and finally something about using Maxmagic to partition drives, in
    > >: advanced form, and making them only about 60 or 80 gig, esp. for
    > >: defragging which will have to be done eventually. Anyway, enough
    > >: inquiring, please assist me and thanks for listening, Derrick

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Kool Knight wrote:

    > Well, I've got three drives... a 20GB Seagate, a 40GB WD, and an 80GB
    > Maxtor drive I have been using all of them for the last 4 years or
    > so. I was really impressed with the Maxtor 80 GB drive and wanted to
    > be able to put everything on one big drive rather than always be
    > swapping drives in and out of my case ( I also have a DVD drive and a
    > DVD Writer on my second IDE channel ). My preferred OS is Windows
    > 98SE and only use Windows XP for those applications which demand it (
    > will not run in Win98 ). I refuse to give up my Windows 98SE so I
    > will see if I can switch the 200GB drive for an 80GB Maxtor ( Least
    > that way I will have 160GB and ( hopefully ) no problems.

    If you have a spare slot adding an inexpensive PCI IDE card would solve
    the large HD problem and let you have up to four more drives to boot.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    dude if internal is stress fill your life with a portable external not only
    do you get massive storage on the go... but the added benefits of USB and
    Firewire as well...
    --
    cool?...

    "Kool Knight" wrote:

    > OKay, I'm sort of in the same boat here ( Titanic? ) and have been doing a
    > lot of reeading myself... so much so that I have managed to confuse myself
    > :). I bought a Maxtor 200GB drive recently and would like to be able to use
    > Win98SE with it. I know the Win98SE boot disk/version of FDisk will not see
    > /partition the whole drive so I was thinking baout using an install CD with
    > Windows XP sp1 to partition and format the drive ( Not too wild about
    > Maxtor's Maxblast software. ). Once partitioned and formatted, I should
    > then be able to install Win98SE in the first partition and have a few other
    > partitions for other stuff " MP3's/movies/applications,etc. ). I was even
    > thinking of installing the aforementioned Windows XP sp1 and setting up a
    > dual boot system. Am I missing anything here or am I just begging for data
    > loss? Please advise.
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Koolnite
    >

    > "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in
    >
    > > If you want to use 98SE and the only way that I know around the 137
    > > gigabyte 98SE software limit is a hardware device called a controller
    > > card. Try and Google controller card for more information. Have a
    > > nice day! :o
    > >
    > > "psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >: H'lo, I know this has probably been discussed before but I didn't get
    > >: any answers to my inquiries regarding new procedures. As my subject
    > >: suggests, I want to buy a 160 gigger from Maxtor at Staples this week
    > >: and add it as I do a lot of recording and save some large files from
    > >: the Net. Now, how do I go about adding this 2nd drive without a lot
    > >: of problemas. Do I have to add that patch from that Robert guy that
    > >: helps the OS to recognize 48bit is it drives, or update bios, which I
    > >: have tried a million times, but ACER support didn't cooperate with,
    > >: or when I buy the Maxtor retail drive it comes with a MAXmagic
    > >: software thingie that assists you to fdisk and partition etc.
    > >:
    > >: If there is a simple procedure that has been tried and tested that
    > >: works, please enlighten me. I think there are some workarounds from
    > >: some of the messages I have unearthed from past discussions, but
    > >: realize that a lot of these issues have been resolved over the past
    > >: few years with the introduction of these large drives, 160 and up.
    > >: One thing I did notice was that 137 gig was a plateau of some sort
    > >: and Windows 98SE didn't take kindly to some sort of partition size,
    > >: and finally something about using Maxmagic to partition drives, in
    > >: advanced form, and making them only about 60 or 80 gig, esp. for
    > >: defragging which will have to be done eventually. Anyway, enough
    > >: inquiring, please assist me and thanks for listening, Derrick
    > >:

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in

    > Kool Knight wrote:
    >> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in
    >>
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102007
    >>
    >> Thanks Brian but, I think I am going to se about returning the drive
    >> and seeing if I can get a Maxtor 120 GB drive in it's place. Then I
    >> just keep the Maxtor 80GB drive I already have and, combined, these
    >> should give me the 200GB I want as well as both work fine in Windows
    >> 98 and, if I dual boot Windows XP. Once again, thanks for all your
    >> help and suggestions.
    >>
    >> Koolnite
    >
    > As Brian said and I agree for more reasons than one, is to use the
    > exact pci card he points out.
    >
    > I run two 250GB maxtor drives flawlessly with it on W98SE, although of
    > course without question partition it up appropriately anyway for all
    > the benefits of that. There's no good reason to run a drive/partition
    > of a 200GB size that big anyway and has so many good reasons to
    > partition it up into your favorite named categories; after all if you
    > use it full you would of made named folders of your stuff anyway so
    > it's so much better to do that same task with a few partitions with
    > its benefits.
    >
    > With a 200+ GB drive you only need to have one drive running anyway,
    > and so save the others for safety and on the spot plug in for special
    > backups use.
    >
    > Staples has your 200GB 7200rpm Maxtor drive on sale this week for $79
    > (tem #504517) which I hope you didn't pay anymore for it, but to
    > return it to get a 120GB you might end up paying more as well as loose
    > 80GB of space on top of it.. ..you must just not realize the full
    > concepts in your retreat.
    >
    > Rick

    HI Rick,
    I'm up in Canada and just checked the local Staples flyer which only has
    their Maxtor 100GB drive and that is going for $99.95. The Maxtor 200GB
    drive is still $149.95 here. I got mine from another retailer for $118.00
    plus $5.00 shipping.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in

    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >> Kool Knight wrote:
    >> > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in

    >> > Thanks Brian but, I think I am going to se about returning the
    >> > drive and seeing if I can get a Maxtor 120 GB drive in it's place.
    >> > Then I just
    > keep
    >> > the Maxtor 80GB drive I already have and, combined, these should
    >> > give me the 200GB I want as well as both work fine in Windows 98
    >> > and, if I dual boot Windows XP. Once again, thanks for all your
    >> > help and suggestions.
    >
    > Got a Fry's near you? Western Digital OK?
    >
    > http://www.netaffilia.com/ad/electronics/frys/i/2005/08/26/12097.html
    >
    > 120GB for $20. Hurry, the offer ends TODAY.

    Thanks Hugh,
    Unfortunately, I don't think we have Fry's here in Canada ( Or, at
    least, not one here in Nova Scotia, Canada :( ) Otherwise, that is an
    excellent deal!
    Cheers,
    Koolnite
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in
    >
    > > Got a Fry's near you? Western Digital OK?
    > >
    > > http://www.netaffilia.com/ad/electronics/frys/i/2005/08/26/12097.html
    > >
    > > 120GB for $20. Hurry, the offer ends TODAY.
    >
    > Thanks Hugh,
    > Unfortunately, I don't think we have Fry's here in Canada ( Or, at
    > least, not one here in Nova Scotia, Canada :( ) Otherwise, that is an
    > excellent deal!

    They have a web store also

    http://shop1.outpost.com/catreq/1050?WebLogicSession=QxXQx2o4hI0Clui1PyQx5YylGGSaOtJ1klFNDfGK9NSUVDIqHF9r|6434009484766052263/184095264/6/7001/7001/7002/7002/7001/-1|-7391481027887767154/184095265/6/7001/7001/7002/7002/7001/-1

    Same page, easier link

    http://tinyurl.com/co8dy
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in
    <SNIP>

    > "Kool Knight" <Koolnite@nooneknows.ca> wrote in message
    <SNIP>
    >> :). I bought a Maxtor 200GB drive recently and would like to be
    >> :able to use Win98SE with it. I know the Win98SE boot disk/version
    of FDisk will not see/partition the whole drive so I was thinking baout
    using an install CD with Windows XP sp1 to partition and format the
    drive ( Not too wild about Maxtor's Maxblast software. ). Once
    partitioned and formatted, I should then be able to install Win98SE in
    the first partition and have a few other partitions for other stuff "
    MP3's/movies/applications,etc. ). I was even thinking of installing the
    aforementioned Windows XP sp1 and setting up a dual boot system. Am I
    missing anything here or am I just begging for data loss? Please
    advise.

    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Koolnite
    >>
    >> "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in
    >>
    >> > If you want to use 98SE and the only way that I know around the
    >> > 137 gigabyte 98SE software limit is a hardware device called a
    >> > controller card. Try and Google controller card for more
    >> > information. Have a nice day! :o
    >> >
    >> > "psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >: H'lo, I know this has probably been discussed before but I
    >> >: didn't get any answers to my inquiries regarding new
    >> >: procedures. As my subject suggests, I want to buy a 160 gigger
    >> >: from Maxtor at Staples this week and add it as I do a lot of
    >> >: recording and save some large files from the Net. Now, how do
    >> >: I go about adding this 2nd drive without a lot of problemas.
    >> >: Do I have to add that patch from that Robert guy that helps
    >> >: the OS to recognize 48bit is it drives, or update bios, which
    >> >: I have tried a million times, but ACER support didn't
    >> >: cooperate with, or when I buy the Maxtor retail drive it comes
    >> >: with a MAXmagic software thingie that assists you to fdisk and
    >> >: partition etc.
    >> >:
    <SNIP>
    --------------------------------
    Interesting thread ... particularly when I am noticing a similar
    situation on a new (3 days old) Maxtor 100GB ... well under the 137Gb
    limitation.

    I noted the reference to 48Bit LBA (which I had not thought of) and
    tried to determine this drive's specs at Maxtor's site ... no luck.
    This drive isn't listed in either the product line nor the specs.

    I sent Maxtor an email enquiry, but hold little hope of hearing
    anything helpful. If a phone call didn't yield anything, I'm sure an
    email won't either, but .. I did specifically request the specs for
    this drive which I didn't know (or think) to do in the phone call.

    It's possible that this drive is actually from an intended larger drive
    which passed all the test for 100Gb, but was supposed to be something
    bigger .. like 160, 250 or more and failed those production tests. That
    would give it 48 Bit LBA configuration .... but I'm just guessing here.

    I have no flags nor problems with the Maxtor 80Gb that this drive
    replaced. Since the 100Gb is well within 98SE capability and touted to
    be 98SE compatible I suspect there is far more to my problem that
    initially met my eye.

    Gary Terhune has responded to my initial reuest, so I won't go into all
    that we've covered, but still ... interesting post.

    Take care, do good and have fun ...

    --
    PoGo
    www.pogo123.com

    "pogo" <ponogospam36@charter.net> wrote in message
    > --------------------------------
    > Interesting thread ... particularly when I am noticing a similar
    > situation on a new (3 days old) Maxtor 100GB ... well under the 137Gb
    > limitation.
    >
    > I noted the reference to 48Bit LBA (which I had not thought of) and
    > tried to determine this drive's specs at Maxtor's site ... no luck.
    > This drive isn't listed in either the product line nor the specs.
    >
    > I sent Maxtor an email enquiry, but hold little hope of hearing
    > anything helpful. If a phone call didn't yield anything, I'm sure an
    > email won't either, but .. I did specifically request the specs for
    > this drive which I didn't know (or think) to do in the phone call.
    >
    > It's possible that this drive is actually from an intended larger drive
    > which passed all the test for 100Gb, but was supposed to be something
    > bigger .. like 160, 250 or more and failed those production tests. That
    > would give it 48 Bit LBA configuration .... but I'm just guessing here.
    >
    > I have no flags nor problems with the Maxtor 80Gb that this drive
    > replaced. Since the 100Gb is well within 98SE capability and touted to
    > be 98SE compatible I suspect there is far more to my problem that
    > initially met my eye.
    >
    > Gary Terhune has responded to my initial reuest, so I won't go into all
    > that we've covered, but still ... interesting post.

    Without knowing what you/Gary communicated and I'm sure it was thourough, you
    may need to get the updated Fdisk. Please disregard if this was already
    mentioned.
    Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Without knowing what you/Gary communicated and I'm sure it was
    > thourough, you
    > may need to get the updated Fdisk. Please disregard if this was
    > already mentioned.
    > Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044
    Thanks for your time and the suggestion, but I've already updated to
    the new, more capable Fdisk ...

    Thanks, anyway ...your time is valuable and your concern appreciated.

    --
    PoGo
    www.pogo123.com

Maxtor Windows Product