Remove Icon

I have a Outlook desktop icon on my desktop. If I click / right click I get
an illegal operation. More details: EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.

I can't see it from DOS. I tried getting rid of thru explorer too. I want to
delete it. Any ideas?
thanks.
13 answers Last reply
More about remove icon

    Try right clicking and see what program is associated to this icon

    "rob p" wrote:

    > I have a Outlook desktop icon on my desktop. If I click / right click I get
    > an illegal operation. More details: EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    > module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.
    >
    > I can't see it from DOS. I tried getting rid of thru explorer too. I want to
    > delete it. Any ideas?
    > thanks.

    Have you tried Safe Mode?

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Smiling face" <Smilingface@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Try right clicking and see what program is associated to this icon
    >
    > "rob p" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Outlook desktop icon on my desktop. If I click / right click I get
    >> an illegal operation. More details: EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    >> module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.
    >>
    >> I can't see it from DOS. I tried getting rid of thru explorer too. I want to
    >> delete it. Any ideas?
    >> thanks.

    Have you tried Safe Mode?

    --

    "rob p" <nospam*wlb@stans.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Outlook desktop icon on my desktop. If I click / right click I get
    > an illegal operation. More details: EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    > module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.
    >
    > I can't see it from DOS. I tried getting rid of thru explorer too. I want to
    > delete it. Any ideas?
    > thanks.

    I can't right click. Or safe mode. It immediately gives me the error. I
    tried right clicking start, goin to explore, scrolled up to desktop. I can
    see the icon and it's type is shown as a system folder. No, I can't click on
    it here either. I think I need to edit registry to remove it but don't know
    where?
    Thanks.
    rob

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > Have you tried Safe Mode?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Smiling face" <Smilingface@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Try right clicking and see what program is associated to this icon
    > >
    > > "rob p" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have a Outlook desktop icon on my desktop. If I click / right click I
    get
    > >> an illegal operation. More details: EXPLORER caused an invalid page
    fault in
    > >> module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.
    > >>
    > >> I can't see it from DOS. I tried getting rid of thru explorer too. I
    want to
    > >> delete it. Any ideas?
    > >> thanks.

    Seeing that it is set as a system file, open either MyComputer or Explorer
    Note the name.ext and path of the icon

    Boot to DOS with a 98 boot CD
    At the prompt type and then press Enter after each line below: Also note that a
    space is denoted by ^, do not type ^

    cd\
    c:\windows\desktop
    If you get a "Too many parameter" error type:

    c:\windows
    cd\
    c:\windows\desktop
    attrib^-s^-h^-r^name.ext (use the name and extension noted earlier)
    del^name.ext

    Remove the boot disk and press ctrl+alt+del to reboot.

    If no joy:
    Outlook AFAIK comes with Office. Backup any info that has to do with outlook
    first that you need.
    Put the Office CD and select Add/Remove from the install menu.
    Uncheck Outlook to uninstall/remove it, checked items install-unchecked
    uninstall if installed.

    --

    >I can't right click. Or safe mode. It immediately gives me the error. I
    > tried right clicking start, goin to explore, scrolled up to desktop. I can
    > see the icon and it's type is shown as a system folder. No, I can't click on
    > it here either. I think I need to edit registry to remove it but don't know
    > where?
    > Thanks.
    > rob
    >
    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >> Have you tried Safe Mode?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Brian A.
    >>
    >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Smiling face" <Smilingface@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Try right clicking and see what program is associated to this icon

    > get
    > fault in

    > want to

    Open the Registry to...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\De
    sktop\NameSpace

    Well, here is how to do it...

    (1) "START button, Run, RegEdit".
    (2) Click the plus sign to left of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".
    (3) Continue to & click the plus sign left of "NameSpace".
    Look for the item (Key) you wish to remove in the left pane,
    under "NameSpace".
    ACTUALLY, it will likely be a long, indecipherable number. Click
    each one, & look in R-Pane, per the next step.

    (4) In the left pane still, click the item you wish to remove, so that
    it HIGHLIGHTS.
    In the right pane, "(Default)" will likely show something unusual,
    or it will show up somewhere. If not, better stop & report back.
    Certainly do not delete "Recycle Bin" or "My Documents". Those two are
    normal Desktop items.

    (5) Click "Export Registry File" in the "Registry" menu.
    This will create an "undo" file. It will contain the Key that is
    open in the left pane, it's sub-keys & the data in the right pane. It
    will get a file type of ".reg". By default, when you click a ".reg"
    file, it's data will merge back into the Registry. So, don't do that...
    unless you want it back.

    (6) R-Clk the Key (big number) in the left pane, & select "Delete". (If
    it has lost it's HIGHLIGHT, click it again & look in the right pane to
    be sure you've got the right one.)

    (7) Close RegEdit.

    To alter the default behavior: "START, Settings, Folder Options, File
    Types tab". Scroll to & click "Registration Entries", click the "Edit"
    button, select "edit" in the window & click the "Set Default" button.
    Now, when you click a ".reg" file, it will open in Notepad for
    examination. To merge it into the Registry, R-Clk it & select "Merge"

    Here is what mine looks like, for comparative purposes...

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\D
    esktop\NameSpace]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\D
    esktop\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
    @="Recycle Bin"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\D
    esktop\NameSpace\{450d8fba-ad25-11d0-98a8-0800361b1103}]
    @="My Documents"

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "rob p" <nospam*wlb@stans.net> wrote in message
    | I have a Outlook desktop icon on my desktop. If I click / right click
    I get
    | an illegal operation. More details: EXPLORER caused an invalid page
    fault in
    | module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.
    |
    | I can't see it from DOS. I tried getting rid of thru explorer too. I
    want to
    | delete it. Any ideas?
    | thanks.

    OL: How to Remove the Outlook Icon from Your Desktop:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321777
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "rob p" <nospam*wlb@stans.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Outlook desktop icon on my desktop. If I click / right click I get
    > an illegal operation. More details: EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    > module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.
    >
    > I can't see it from DOS. I tried getting rid of thru explorer too. I want to
    > delete it. Any ideas?
    > thanks.

    Curious. Does that hide it, delete it or both? The article mentions hiding it
    yet it also mentions deleting or renaming.

    --

    > OL: How to Remove the Outlook Icon from Your Desktop:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321777
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "rob p" <nospam*wlb@stans.net> wrote in message
    >> I have a Outlook desktop icon on my desktop. If I click / right click I get
    >> an illegal operation. More details: EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    >> module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.
    >>
    >> I can't see it from DOS. I tried getting rid of thru explorer too. I want to
    >> delete it. Any ideas?
    >> thanks.

    Hmmmmm!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | OL: How to Remove the Outlook Icon from Your Desktop:
    | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321777
    | --
    | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    |

    | "rob p" <nospam*wlb@stans.net> wrote in message
    | > I have a Outlook desktop icon on my desktop. If I click / right
    click I get
    | > an illegal operation. More details: EXPLORER caused an invalid page
    fault in
    | > module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.
    | >
    | > I can't see it from DOS. I tried getting rid of thru explorer too. I
    want to
    | > delete it. Any ideas?
    | > thanks.

    Yes ;-)
    It's the Desktop\Namespace key entry, so whether you delete the key or rename it,
    you are removing the icon from the Desktop. I guess one could equivocate and say it
    is hidden, because the ClassID that it refers to is still in the Registry:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00020D75-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
    along with all its sub-keys and data, but without the Namespace item, the Desktop
    icon is gone, deleted, disappear-o.

    Re-creating or re-naming back the Namespace item will re-create the Desktop icon,
    referencing the data in the key mentioned above.

    What I am more curious about is the *cause* of the error the OP is
    getting....removing the Desktop icon may only hide another problem. As it likely
    requires a bit of poking through Registry keys and the file system, this may be
    difficult to track via the newsgroup.
    --

    > Curious. Does that hide it, delete it or both? The article mentions hiding it
    > yet it also mentions deleting or renaming.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > > OL: How to Remove the Outlook Icon from Your Desktop:
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "rob p" <nospam*wlb@stans.net> wrote in message
    > >> I have a Outlook desktop icon on my desktop. If I click / right click I get
    > >> an illegal operation. More details: EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    > >> module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9f5.
    > >>
    > >> I can't see it from DOS. I tried getting rid of thru explorer too. I want to
    > >> delete it. Any ideas?
    > >> thanks.

    > > delete it. Any ideas?
    > > thanks.

    If it is an icon put there from an "Office" installation, then
    go to add/remove and remove it.(outlook)
    Dont remove 'outlook-Express' if that is your mail room etc.

    jane

    > Hmmmmm!
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,

    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
    mines longer.. nyah nyah.
    u c m u PCR.

    --
    To understand *purpose*, is to *Identify*.
    and just who did you say you were sir??

    You can write more "m"'s than me, all right. I admit that. But what does
    the one in "u c m u" mean?

    --
    "mister" <cornflow@bellcorp.com> wrote in message

    | > Hmmmmm!
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    |
    | Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
    | mines longer.. nyah nyah.
    | u c m u PCR.
    |
    | --
    | To understand *purpose*, is to *Identify*.
    | and just who did you say you were sir??
    | *Identify* yourself Sir ^&^ !
    | 'how do I know you are who you say you are'.
    | say the governments of the world as it is currently
    | divided up among men.

Desktops Explorer Windows