Cannot connect to Internet-wrong password or name-Help

Blair

I friend who has a 98SE PC and has connected to the Internet via Freeserve
for the last 5 years suddenly is getting no connection to the Internet
The phone rings and is connecting when a message is received to say the
password or name is wrong.
I have checked all his settings and they appear to be OK
I tried making a new connection with the wizard but still got the same
message.
I then thought that Zone Alarm could be the problem and I uninstalled it.
But no change.
I then used the original CD to reinstall Freeserve but although I noticed it
connected on line it stopped in the middle and refused to complete.
Hope someone can give me an idea what to do now
Blair

Have you checked with the ISP to be sure there's nothing wrong with the
account? That the username/password hasn't been lost at server level?
Also, have you tried setting up that account on a different machine?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> I friend who has a 98SE PC and has connected to the Internet via
Freeserve
> for the last 5 years suddenly is getting no connection to the Internet
> The phone rings and is connecting when a message is received to say
the
> password or name is wrong.
> I have checked all his settings and they appear to be OK
> I tried making a new connection with the wizard but still got the same
> message.
> I then thought that Zone Alarm could be the problem and I uninstalled
it.
> But no change.
> I then used the original CD to reinstall Freeserve but although I
noticed it
> connected on line it stopped in the middle and refused to complete.
> Hope someone can give me an idea what to do now
> Blair

Blair

Thanks for your help.
That is the one setting I did not check. On my next visit to my friend I
will check the account
Blair

> Have you checked with the ISP to be sure there's nothing wrong with the
> account? That the username/password hasn't been lost at server level?
> Also, have you tried setting up that account on a different machine?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > I friend who has a 98SE PC and has connected to the Internet via
> Freeserve
> > for the last 5 years suddenly is getting no connection to the Internet
> > The phone rings and is connecting when a message is received to say
> the
> > password or name is wrong.
> > I have checked all his settings and they appear to be OK
> > I tried making a new connection with the wizard but still got the same
> > message.
> > I then thought that Zone Alarm could be the problem and I uninstalled
> it.
> > But no change.
> > I then used the original CD to reinstall Freeserve but although I
> noticed it
> > connected on line it stopped in the middle and refused to complete.
> > Hope someone can give me an idea what to do now
> > Blair

There *are* things that can go wrong on the system and which may cause
this kind of response, but it's better to make sure it *is* the machine,
not the ISP, before commencing further head-banging, <s>.

Personally, my own response to such issues is to simply uninstall the
entire networking tree (DUN connection, everything in the Network applet
of Control panel, modem and/or NIC card), restart, and then rebuild it
all from scratch. Quite a few of these types of problems don't respond
to tinkering. Easier to wipe the slate clean and start over. (*After*
making sure there isn't any problems outside the computer itself.)

--

> Thanks for your help.
> That is the one setting I did not check. On my next visit to my friend
> will check the account
> Blair

> > Have you checked with the ISP to be sure there's nothing wrong with
the
> > account? That the username/password hasn't been lost at server
level?
> > Also, have you tried setting up that account on a different machine?
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > > I friend who has a 98SE PC and has connected to the Internet via
> > Freeserve
> > > for the last 5 years suddenly is getting no connection to the
Internet
> > > The phone rings and is connecting when a message is received to
say
> > the
> > > password or name is wrong.
> > > I have checked all his settings and they appear to be OK
> > > I tried making a new connection with the wizard but still got the
same
> > > message.
> > > I then thought that Zone Alarm could be the problem and I
uninstalled
> > it.
> > > But no change.
> > > I then used the original CD to reinstall Freeserve but although I
> > noticed it
> > > connected on line it stopped in the middle and refused to
complete.
> > > Hope someone can give me an idea what to do now
> > > Blair

Just a thought Blair, I had a similar problem long ago when using Norton AV and having it check emails. Something to do with Norton as a proxy?
--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message news:OmJdK2jLFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I friend who has a 98SE PC and has connected to the Internet via Freeserve
> for the last 5 years suddenly is getting no connection to the Internet
> The phone rings and is connecting when a message is received to say the
> password or name is wrong.
> I have checked all his settings and they appear to be OK
> I tried making a new connection with the wizard but still got the same
> message.
> I then thought that Zone Alarm could be the problem and I uninstalled it.
> But no change.
> I then used the original CD to reinstall Freeserve but although I noticed it
> connected on line it stopped in the middle and refused to complete.
> Hope someone can give me an idea what to do now
> Blair

Blair

Thanks for your help. I uninstalled my existing connection and got a Wanadoo
CD from Argos and installed it. It dialled a
connection and was connected to the Internet OK but it then attempted to
open Internet Explorer and failed
I had expected to have to fill in a lot of data first.
..Also when I tried to open Outlook Express I got "Host smtp.freeserve.net
could not be found"
Blair

> There *are* things that can go wrong on the system and which may cause
> this kind of response, but it's better to make sure it *is* the machine,
> not the ISP, before commencing further head-banging, <s>.
>
> Personally, my own response to such issues is to simply uninstall the
> entire networking tree (DUN connection, everything in the Network applet
> of Control panel, modem and/or NIC card), restart, and then rebuild it
> all from scratch. Quite a few of these types of problems don't respond
> to tinkering. Easier to wipe the slate clean and start over. (*After*
> making sure there isn't any problems outside the computer itself.)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your help.
> > That is the one setting I did not check. On my next visit to my friend
> > will check the account
> > Blair
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Have you checked with the ISP to be sure there's nothing wrong with
> the
> > > account? That the username/password hasn't been lost at server
> level?
> > > Also, have you tried setting up that account on a different machine?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > > Freeserve
> Internet
> say
> > > the
> same
> uninstalled
> > > it.
> > > noticed it
> complete.

You lost me, here. You deleted the Dial-Up Connection on your own system
(and your friend's is the problem system, right? You have Freeserve?
Your friend has Wannadoo?

There should be no reason to uninstall your own connectoid, you just
want to add one and use your friend's connection parameters: Telephone
#, username and password. Then test to see if that connects for you.

No, you won't likely be able to use your Freeserve email account to send
mail while you're connected via Wannadoo, since the primary method of
authenticating your identity, your permission to use Freeserve's server
to send mail is that you have connected via Freeserve using a valid
username/password. (There are ways to deal with that if you wanted to
set up more than one dial-up account on a single system, but you're just
testing, now.)

You also installed software from Wannadoo? That, alone, might cause
problems. All you should need to connect to Wannadoo is a local
telephone number, username and password. You shouldn't;t have to fill
out a bunch of forms or anything similar unless you want to set up your
own account.

--

> Thanks for your help. I uninstalled my existing connection and got a
Wanadoo
> CD from Argos and installed it. It dialled a
> connection and was connected to the Internet OK but it then attempted
> open Internet Explorer and failed
> I had expected to have to fill in a lot of data first.
> .Also when I tried to open Outlook Express I got "Host
smtp.freeserve.net
> could not be found"
> Blair

> > There *are* things that can go wrong on the system and which may
cause
> > this kind of response, but it's better to make sure it *is* the
machine,
> > not the ISP, before commencing further head-banging, <s>.
> >
> > Personally, my own response to such issues is to simply uninstall
the
> > entire networking tree (DUN connection, everything in the Network
applet
> > of Control panel, modem and/or NIC card), restart, and then rebuild
it
> > all from scratch. Quite a few of these types of problems don't
respond
> > to tinkering. Easier to wipe the slate clean and start over.
(*After*
> > making sure there isn't any problems outside the computer itself.)
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > > That is the one setting I did not check. On my next visit to my
friend
> > > will check the account
> > > Blair
> > >
> > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > the
> > level?

> > Internet
> > say
> > same
> > uninstalled
> > complete.

Blair

On reading my message I realise that I did mislead you.
All the work I have done is on my friends machine.
Also I was given advice to look at www.ufaq.fsnet.co.uk/ and I learned a
lot. I did not realise that the Wanadoo CD only adds icons to the system in
addition to system control software which is nothing to do with wanadoo.
So I deleted every file connected to Wanadoo.
I now have the correct settings for Internet Explorer and will check these
on my next visit
My friend was connected before through Freeserve and his email address is
freeserve so I have assumed that we should stick to his name and password.
The correct settings on IE may be the solution. I will let you know
Blair

> [...]
> > > There *are* things that can go wrong on the system and which may
> cause
> > > this kind of response, but it's better to make sure it *is* the
> machine,
> > > not the ISP, before commencing further head-banging, <s>.
> > >
> > > Personally, my own response to such issues is to simply uninstall
> the
> > > entire networking tree (DUN connection, everything in the Network
> applet
> > > of Control panel, modem and/or NIC card), restart, and then rebuild
> it
> > > all from scratch. Quite a few of these types of problems don't
> respond
> > > to tinkering. Easier to wipe the slate clean and start over.
> (*After*
> > > making sure there isn't any problems outside the computer itself.)

You've lost me again.

You have Freeserve? Your friend used to have Freeserve but now has
Wannadoo?

No, you're friend's old Freeserve email address will not probably work
when connecting to Wannadoo. If friend switched from Freeserve to
Wannadoo, friend needs to forward email from Freeserve address to
Wannadoo address. Username/password for Wannadoo *may* be the same as
the one from Freeserve, or it may not be. If it is, it's because your
friend chose the same ones. Otherwise, they're simply not related.

When you "deleted every file connected to Wannadoo" on your own system,
did you Uninstall it, using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, or did
you just go around deleting shortcuts and files?

--

> [...]
> > problems. All you should need to connect to Wannadoo is a local
> > telephone number, username and password. You shouldn't;t have to
fill
> > out a bunch of forms or anything similar unless you want to set up
your
> > own account.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for your help. I uninstalled my existing connection and got
> > Wanadoo
> > > CD from Argos and installed it. It dialled a
> > > connection and was connected to the Internet OK but it then
attempted
> > > open Internet Explorer and failed
> > > I had expected to have to fill in a lot of data first.
> > > .Also when I tried to open Outlook Express I got "Host

Blair

I first of all went to Add/Remove Programmes and Wanadoo was not listed on
his PC so I then deleted all references to Wanadoo. Since I was told that
the Wanadoo CD only added icons I assumed that this was all right.
I just want to connect my friends PC with his original Freeserve account and
I am going to check his settings on Internet Explorer and Outlook express
with the settings I now have on my own machine.
I use Any Time but I added PAYG in order to check his settings with mine..
So I am hoping that his original user name and password will still be OK
My PC has XP and his has 98SE
Blair

> [...]
> send
> > > mail while you're connected via Wannadoo, since the primary method
> of
> > > authenticating your identity, your permission to use Freeserve's
> server
> > > to send mail is that you have connected via Freeserve using a valid
> > > username/password. (There are ways to deal with that if you wanted
> > > set up more than one dial-up account on a single system, but you're
> just
> > > testing, now.)
> > >
> > > You also installed software from Wannadoo? That, alone, might cause
> > > problems. All you should need to connect to Wannadoo is a local
> > > telephone number, username and password. You shouldn't;t have to
> fill
> > > out a bunch of forms or anything similar unless you want to set up

Blair

Copied all my settings to my friends machine and created a new dialup
setting and everything worked OK
Thanks again Gary
Regards

Glad to hear it, Blair.