Sign in with
Your question

Is this true?

Last response: in CPUs
April 22, 2006 2:22:00 PM

I've been hearing this thing about amd processor since a few years back until now.... so, i just want opinions of forum posters..... does amd processor's performance deteriorate through time?

More about : true

April 22, 2006 2:42:03 PM

Dude thats bull crap!
April 22, 2006 2:43:01 PM

Don't know where you heard that...but that is compete rubbish...there's nothing to wear out...no moving parts whatsoever. They only seem slower compared to newer, faster processors...their performance does not degrade. Where did you hear that? Seems like some bizarre Intel propaganda to me...complete nonsense. Any idea why only AMD chips and not say graphics card processors or audio chips etc.?
Related resources
April 22, 2006 2:46:19 PM

No more than any Intel processor would. I used to have an old AMD Athlon maching running, and it was working for a good 4 years before I decided to ugrade it. But that was not due to the processors performance deteriorating, it was just getting old.

My current machine is running off of a AMD Athlon 3700+, and its performance hasn't degraded at all since the day I built it. (maybe that is because I only built it 2 weeks ago).

Either way, AMD processors last just as long as an Intel processor. But keep in mind, overclocking does shorten the lifespan of computer components if you aren't cooling them well.
April 22, 2006 2:47:57 PM

I haven't done any benchmarking over the lifetime of the processor, but I can say one thing. I have an 1800+ palamino core AMD, and the felt performance is exactly the same to me even after 2-3, maybe 4 years (memory isn't so good as to when I got it).

I don't have hard numbers, but I haven't noticed any slow-down in the thing. It's still going strong and playing games such as Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 and games of that nature. It's got an awesome 64Mb GeForce 2 Ti in it too that helps a lot. Heh, and if I stuck some DDR ram in it instead of PC133 it'd be even better lol.

Yep, I like it. :) 
April 22, 2006 2:51:35 PM

Not that I've ever seen when using default settings but if you OC, it's very possible the heat (from higher voltages)will kill off the CPU slowly. I've seen this first hand.
April 22, 2006 2:53:15 PM

I think he's talking about the heat issue with the old athlons where the silicon would deteroirate on the edges of the core when it would overheat.
April 22, 2006 3:20:35 PM

The chip itself does indeed deteriorate over time, but it's so slow that you wouldnt notice it after 50 years. Electrophilic migration is a bitch.
April 23, 2006 2:15:34 AM

The truth is i'm planning to upgrade to amd processor. but i went to a local com shop and they told me this..... that's why i posted this question here. it is the second time i heard this performance deteriorating thing. the first time i heard was a few years back when i got my first com. Anyway, thanks for the opinions....
April 23, 2006 2:45:57 AM

I would definately NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THAT SHOP, they are clueless wonders.

All electronics deteriorate over time....over a freaking long time, definately not something you'll ever notice.

My Athlon XP 2200+ (a core for 2 years and b-core for 2 years) both stayed at the same benchmark scores over their entire life.

In fact, now that I've slimmed down my old case and removed junk from it, the Athlon XP 2200+ B-core is actually running benches a tad faster than before :) 
April 23, 2006 3:02:02 AM

Quote:
The truth is i'm planning to upgrade to amd processor. but i went to a local com shop and they told me this..... that's why i posted this question here. it is the second time i heard this performance deteriorating thing. the first time i heard was a few years back when i got my first com. Anyway, thanks for the opinions....

Those guys are a bunch of clueless morons, don't let them get anywhere close to your 'rig.

I had a Mobile Barton OC'ed to 2.6GHz on 2V running full load 24/7 for over 18 months, it never showed any signs of degradation.

Mind you, that's a 40% overvolt along with a 40% overclock, if they were right, that CPU would have died within the very first week...
April 23, 2006 3:32:35 AM

Well everything deteriorates including cpu, but were talking decades or more of constant use. Cpu do not have any moving parts but still it takes abuse and stress throughout it's lifespan. But it should not be a concern cause by the time the cpu is dead you won't be needing it or have use for it assuming that it is still working. Also overclocking and increasing voltage and heat over the manufacturers recommended specs can decrease the cpu's lifespan and runs the risk of destroying it. If cpu last forever then why do manufacturer is not offering a lifetime warranty on all their products?
April 23, 2006 3:44:18 AM

You might be asking about electromigration. All electric circuits experience that phenomena. Electromigration is the process in which the electrons in the atoms of the conductive substance are displaced from their places. The higher the voltage and the temp, the higher the electromigration is. However, this is a very lenghty process, so the corcuit will have like 10 years of life til the effects of the electromigration are so severe that it will cease to function. It's consequences are that you'll need a higher voltage to mantain the same speed.

Intel, AMD, Cyrix, it doesn't matter who made your processor, the only thing that matters is that if there's electric current in that circuit, there is electromigration.
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 121 À AMD
April 23, 2006 4:19:18 AM

Quote:
I've been hearing this thing about amd processor since a few years back until now.... so, i just want opinions of forum posters..... does amd processor's performance deteriorate through time?

Yes, it is true. It is all true. BTW, don't open you closet in the dark. The Boogeyman might get you.
April 23, 2006 4:30:52 AM

Quote:
First off does he sell only intel procs? And second does he live in New York?
April 23, 2006 4:54:16 AM

Quote:

I don't really know if the shop workers are clueless; they might have a lot of Intel systems they're trying to unload before they become outdated. Car salesmen do the same. :lol: 
April 23, 2006 5:18:06 AM

Yes, it is true.

Due to poor design of AMD's azimuthally opposed electron cathode distribution the mosfets undergo "avalanche" electron migration that drastically reduce performance within 4 months of purchasing a processor.
This is why we, at Intel recommend purchasing only genuine Intel brand microprocessors.

Source: www.Intel.com :wink:
April 23, 2006 5:27:49 AM

:)  :lol:  :D  :wink:
April 23, 2006 5:38:17 AM

Quote:

lectromigration is the displacement of the actual atoms within the metal wire itself (Cu for example)

That's what I was trying to say, it's a little bit hard when translating, things mess uo in your mindi. Ty for ponting my error :D 
April 23, 2006 5:48:39 AM

Wow, what are you studying/did study?
April 23, 2006 6:01:37 AM

Quote:
I am a solid state chemist and physicist, I do research for a small company used in their IP. I cannot go into much more detail than that unfortunately. I sometime teach at a community college on the side.

EDIT: Damn typo's.

Jack

You still have one more typo to catch Jack! :wink:
April 23, 2006 6:04:39 AM

8O peeling the internal layers of the onion that this universe is xD

Yup you beat me up with that one...badly, I'm a mechanical engineering student (3/10 semesters) with a liiiiiiiiiittle bit of knowledge in the dark side of physics
April 23, 2006 6:36:19 AM

Ty

BTW, have you read "A brief history of time (Hawking)", "The Universe (Asimov)" and " X stands for unknown (Asimov, but not sure if that's the english version title)"? They are very interesting indeed.

Quote:
damnit Jim I am a scientist not a writer

LOL!

Hey, check this out! http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200604/s1607840.ht...

too bad is CH3-OH instead of CH3-CH2-OH, it would make hyperspace tech worth it!

"Mr Zulu, take us to the booze nebulae, warp factor 5"
April 27, 2006 10:52:07 AM

Quote:
Wow, what are you studying/did study?
he is PhD I think :lol: 
!