Windows Update Site Security

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hopefully, Microsoft will increase the security of Windows Update site.
ActiveX is flawed since it is so easy to attack it and create false scripts
that can target weak computer networks and security is becoming a huge
problem in 2005. Whoever rules CyBerSpace will Rule the Future. Have a nice
day!

vinCe

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:00:06 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Hopefully, Microsoft will increase the security of Windows Update site.
>ActiveX is flawed since it is so easy to attack it and create false scripts
>that can target weak computer networks and security is becoming a huge
>problem in 2005.

First - if you trust MSFT to provide your operating system and
updates, then you should also trust them to keep the update site
secure. 'Nuf said.

Second - you can make your box secure enough to be sure it's going to
the correct place to obtain operating system updates. Just before
you're ready to visit Windows Update, stop all unnecessary programs.
Make sure you know every program that is running (sometimes easier
said than done). Check your hosts file, to be sure it hasn't been
altered. Change the rules in your firewall so that only the IPs for
Windows Update are allowed. Everything else is to be refused at the
firewall. Now you should be reasonably sure the only palace you're
going to reach is Windows Update.

Makes you appreciate that updates only come out once a month. <G>

jazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

Thats an alful lot of pain in the adjustment areas to be dealing with. I
don't find any fault in what you say to do as it should make it reasonably
sure that you are getting what you asked for. I do think i have missed
something here though, are people activly imitating the windows update site?
Or is this amount of concern form someone that is just paranoid?

I wasn't aware that there realy was a problem with windows update other
then active X being installed and running when windows update runs. You can
l;ock that down and disable it when your not updateing too. I think the
background updater doesn't use active X though. You should be able to lock
active X down and just use the auto update for windows 98. I belive that you
can still goto the IT site and download the updates directly without loging
in or using windows update. (unless they remove that for windows 98)

Either way, i believe that the windows update site uses a secure security
certificate to validate itself to the update controls. It would be dificult
to get around that unless you have somethign in the certificates turned off.
No matter what would replace the current update program (if Microsoft even
considered it) It would still rely on certificates to prove it is the actual
site. If it can be forged and validated with the active x update controls
then it could with any other system. I'm not sure there realy would be an
issue though seeing how it is very dificult (I'm not aware it is possible)
to forge a certificate. Unless your infected with something you should be
reasonably sure your getting updates from microsoft when updating. If they
change it, you can still become infected with somethign so changing wouldn't
help in that fashion.

"Vince" <nobody@home.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:00:06 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:
>
> >Hopefully, Microsoft will increase the security of Windows Update site.
> >ActiveX is flawed since it is so easy to attack it and create false
scripts
> >that can target weak computer networks and security is becoming a huge
> >problem in 2005.
>
> First - if you trust MSFT to provide your operating system and
> updates, then you should also trust them to keep the update site
> secure. 'Nuf said.
>
> Second - you can make your box secure enough to be sure it's going to
> the correct place to obtain operating system updates. Just before
> you're ready to visit Windows Update, stop all unnecessary programs.
> Make sure you know every program that is running (sometimes easier
> said than done). Check your hosts file, to be sure it hasn't been
> altered. Change the rules in your firewall so that only the IPs for
> Windows Update are allowed. Everything else is to be refused at the
> firewall. Now you should be reasonably sure the only palace you're
> going to reach is Windows Update.
>
> Makes you appreciate that updates only come out once a month. <G>

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Vince. You really are a great person. Have a great day! :>

:
[...]

Well Microsoft Security Certificates were stolen and used in the past.
Fortunately Microsoft fixed the problem. Thanks for the response, jazz. I
appreciate it. Have a nice day!

"jazz" <aprilo9@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
[...]
: >
: > >Hopefully, Microsoft will increase the security of Windows Update site.
: > >ActiveX is flawed since it is so easy to attack it and create false
: scripts
: > >that can target weak computer networks and security is becoming a huge
: > >problem in 2005.
: >
: > First - if you trust MSFT to provide your operating system and
: > updates, then you should also trust them to keep the update site
: > secure. 'Nuf said.
: >
: > Second - you can make your box secure enough to be sure it's going to
: > the correct place to obtain operating system updates. Just before
: > you're ready to visit Windows Update, stop all unnecessary programs.
: > Make sure you know every program that is running (sometimes easier
: > said than done). Check your hosts file, to be sure it hasn't been
: > altered. Change the rules in your firewall so that only the IPs for
: > Windows Update are allowed. Everything else is to be refused at the
: > firewall. Now you should be reasonably sure the only palace you're
: > going to reach is Windows Update.
: >
: > Makes you appreciate that updates only come out once a month. <G>
:
:

Whoever rules CyBerSpace will Rule the Future. Have a nice
> day!

But doesnt the above contradict your 'personally' knowing who rules
the future?
From some prior posts from yourself, you suggested you already
knew who is going to rule the future.......... is that now changed
to "whomsoever rules cyber-space"?
Have a usual day, anything else may overload you.

jane