First Time Building -- MotherBoard Choice

GreenfeetNick

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I was going to use the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe since it is the one Alienware puts in their systems and the online reviews I found were all positive, but now I have been told they have issues and to go with the Epox 9NPA+ SLI. I plan on getting an AMD x2 4400 for my CPU and have an Asus Vento for my chassis. I don't plan on overclocking and am looking for a quality board with the least amount of trouble for a first time builder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

The epox is a nice board, a good choice over the asus - since I have seen a couple of A8N RMAs as of late.

Have you checked out the ABIT KN8 SLI? I am considering that for a quiet sli-capable build, and that fits my bill since it has the NB heatpipe setup. Probably gonna go for the Thermaltake Big Typhoon if it fits (will have to research a bit) for near complete silence - aside from the gpu fan noise that is...

As long as it is not "value" (i.e. ddr400@cl3) then you should have no probs. I have seen this board used with both patriot and gskill memory and have no problem at all.

If you get CL3 hopefully it is DDR500 so timings are not an issue...

GreenfeetNick

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
OK, learning new stuff here all the time! You all are great. The RAM is

OCZ Premier Dual Channel 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

so it should work on either the Asus, Epox, or Abit right?

GreenfeetNick

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
The OCZ website also provides a 'Motherboard Qualification Guide'

Oh yeah, Duh! I forgot that's what I used to determine what RAM to get! I was checking ABIT's site out and they also have a Fatal1ty AN8 board. Anybody know anything about it or is the KN8 SLi the way to go if I choose ABIT?[/quote]

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I have the Fatal1ty A8N board in my other pc, and I've personally had no problems with it.

Unless you're planning to go SLi (either now or in the near future), then there is no real reason to get the KN8-SLi board. The AN8 should be fine.

I was going to use the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe since it is the one Alienware puts in their systems and the online reviews I found were all positive, but now I have been told they have issues and to go with the Epox 9NPA+ SLI.
Thanks!!

FYI -

All hardware has issues. That's the nature of things in technology. Uou probably heard of more trouble with the A8N-SLI Deluxe because more people buys and review Asus boards than Epox.

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
if your not going to OC and want to SLI ASUS is prolly your best bet not saying that ASUS cant OC but if you would want to DFI would definately be the best

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
there is no real reason to get the KN8-SLi board.
Cheapest fanless Nforce4 mobo? I do agree, who cares about sli...
Ah..... I did not check the prices of the products in question.

I also now realise that Abit produce an Sli version of the A8N Fatal1ty board. The board I referred to in my previous post was the non-Sli.

I guess I fell into the trap of assuming that a non-SLi board would be cheaper than an Sli. My mistake.