MS-DOS in 98SE

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Direct Disk Access --- what are the advantages and disadvantages of using
this in 98SE. Thanks in Advance and have a nice day!

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:09:25 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Direct Disk Access --- what are the advantages and disadvantages of using
>this in 98SE. Thanks in Advance and have a nice day!

Dan,

Some information here.
Direct Disk Access (Bypassing the BIOS)
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/biosDirect-c.html

As an aside, If a program or utility locks a drive for direct disk
access then does not close properly it causes a problem. The drive
remains locked and when re-booting there is usually a warning. To
unlock the drive in Dos enter Unlock C: This does not happen often
anymore and when it does it's usually a utility that crashes that's
responsible.

WARNING: The Dos LOCK command enables direct disk access by programs
that can CORRUPT file names and/or DESTROY disk data, resulting in
the loss of files on your disk.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, Bill Watt. It sounds really dangerous so I will make sure to fully
back up my hard drive before attempting something like this. Have a nice
day!

: