  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 21, 2005 1:17:02 PM

I have Win98 SE workstation that has the following error on startup;

"While initilizing device VKD: Windows Protection Error."

Has anyone seen this or know how to fix?

Thanks,

G boy
--

More about : window startup error

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 9:25:35 PM

"geordieboy" <ergeordie(delete)@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>I have Win98 SE workstation that has the following error on startup;
>
>"While initilizing device VKD: Windows Protection Error."
>
>Has anyone seen this or know how to fix?
>
>Thanks,
>
>G boy

VKD.VXD is the keyboard driver. Check to make sure your keyboard is
fully plugged in. Also try the computer with a different keyboard and
see if that makes a difference.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:39:43 AM

Here is the only article at...
http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN... MSKB
Search "While Initializing Device VKD"; Windows 98; Full Text; Exact
Phrase...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263318&Product=w98
Error Message: While Initializing Device VKD -- Windows Protection
Error -- You Need to Restart Your Computer
(263318) - When you start your computer, you may receive the following
error message: While initializing device vkd -- Windows Protection
Error -- You need to restart your computer. After you receive this error
message, you may receive the following options...

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"geordieboy" <ergeordie(delete)@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
| I have Win98 SE workstation that has the following error on startup;
|
| "While initilizing device VKD: Windows Protection Error."
|
| Has anyone seen this or know how to fix?
|
| Thanks,
|
| G boy
| --

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 3:08:55 AM

Also, can you boot to Safe Mode? Then...

(1) What does it say at "Control Panel, Keyboard. Language tab"?
I am "English (United States) United States 101" there. Perhaps
even look at "Control Panel, Regional Settings", where you may wish to
be "English (United States)".

(2) "START button, Run, SysEdit".
Is the Keyboard mentioned in "Config.sys" or "Autoexec.bat"?
Perhaps post those files, then, or just put "REM " in front of that
line.

(3) Finally... (though personally, I'd hate to do it)...

(a) Boot to Safe Mode.
(Hold F5 as you boot, or hold CTRL for the Startup Menu, & select
Safe Mode from that. Or turn on the Startup Menu at "START, Run,
MSConfig, Advanced button".)
(b) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
(c) Open the Keyboard branch, by clicking it's plus sign.
(d) Especially if there are multiple devices in that branch... highlight
each one, & click "Remove"-- each one in the branch, because there's no
telling which is the "ghost".
(e) Close up, & boot to Normal Mode.

Hopefully Windows will find the correct drivers, & all will be well.

--

!