Window 98 Startup error

I have Win98 SE workstation that has the following error on startup;

"While initilizing device VKD: Windows Protection Error."

Has anyone seen this or know how to fix?

Thanks,

G boy
More about window startup error

    "geordieboy" <ergeordie(delete)@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    >I have Win98 SE workstation that has the following error on startup;
    >
    >"While initilizing device VKD: Windows Protection Error."
    >
    >Has anyone seen this or know how to fix?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >G boy

    VKD.VXD is the keyboard driver. Check to make sure your keyboard is
    fully plugged in. Also try the computer with a different keyboard and
    see if that makes a difference.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Here is the only article at...
    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
    Search "While Initializing Device VKD"; Windows 98; Full Text; Exact
    Phrase...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263318&Product=w98
    Error Message: While Initializing Device VKD -- Windows Protection
    Error -- You Need to Restart Your Computer
    (263318) - When you start your computer, you may receive the following
    error message: While initializing device vkd -- Windows Protection
    Error -- You need to restart your computer. After you receive this error
    message, you may receive the following options...

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "geordieboy" <ergeordie(delete)@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    | I have Win98 SE workstation that has the following error on startup;
    |
    | "While initilizing device VKD: Windows Protection Error."
    |
    | Has anyone seen this or know how to fix?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | G boy
    | --

    Also, can you boot to Safe Mode? Then...

    (1) What does it say at "Control Panel, Keyboard. Language tab"?
    I am "English (United States) United States 101" there. Perhaps
    even look at "Control Panel, Regional Settings", where you may wish to
    be "English (United States)".

    (2) "START button, Run, SysEdit".
    Is the Keyboard mentioned in "Config.sys" or "Autoexec.bat"?
    Perhaps post those files, then, or just put "REM " in front of that
    line.

    (3) Finally... (though personally, I'd hate to do it)...

    (a) Boot to Safe Mode.
    (Hold F5 as you boot, or hold CTRL for the Startup Menu, & select
    Safe Mode from that. Or turn on the Startup Menu at "START, Run,
    MSConfig, Advanced button".)
    (b) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
    (c) Open the Keyboard branch, by clicking it's plus sign.
    (d) Especially if there are multiple devices in that branch... highlight
    each one, & click "Remove"-- each one in the branch, because there's no
    telling which is the "ghost".
    (e) Close up, & boot to Normal Mode.

    Hopefully Windows will find the correct drivers, & all will be well.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "geordieboy" <ergeordie(delete)@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    | I have Win98 SE workstation that has the following error on startup;
    |
    | "While initilizing device VKD: Windows Protection Error."
    |
    | Has anyone seen this or know how to fix?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | G boy
    | --

Workstations Microsoft Windows