IE6 Errors when attempting Windows Update

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 22, 2005 12:52:20 AM

I have had problems recently trying to initiate windows updates. I access
the update site and the scan runs but when I try to download the whole thing
hangs. If I cancel I get the illegal operation error with these details

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
Registers:
EAX=05580bef CS=017f EIP=7fbd0894 EFLGS=00010212
EBX=0557cab4 SS=0187 ESP=0557c8d4 EBP=0557cac4
ECX=77124438 DS=0187 ESI=00000484 FS=97cf
EDX=bff76855 ES=0187 EDI=7712454e GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
ff 30 ff 75 d4 8d 85 1c fe ff ff 50 e8 cb 0b 00
Stack dump:
0557cdcc 00000000 00000000 0557ca1c 00000000 00000000 00000000 0557cc6c
00000000 0557c930 70a9585f 00000001 00000000 00000000 0557cc6c 00000000

I have tried uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling but this does not clear the
problem.

Anyone any ideas on what the problem may be?

Brian
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 12:52:21 AM

Explorer = Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.

1. You're using Internet Explorer and not an alternate browser to go to
Windows Update, right?

2. To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be disabled
and all other running processes closed before installing anything, including
Windows Updates.

3. If still no joy, try overinstalling IE6:

First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer (includes
your AV program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline).
Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom; Select all the parts you
use, including OE (but none you didn't originally download) and overinstall.
Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot the computer.

Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
Windows Update for the many, additional updates and patches you will need
now.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Joe wrote:
> I have had problems recently trying to initiate windows updates. I access
> the update site and the scan runs but when I try to download the whole
> thing hangs. If I cancel I get the illegal operation error with these
> details
>
> EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
> module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
<snip>

> I have tried uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling but this does not clear the
> problem.
>
> Anyone any ideas on what the problem may be?
>
> Brian
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:45:52 AM

Best stick with Bear, unless he gets hungry. In THAT case...

http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN... MSKB
Search "msimn RPCRT4"; All Words; All Products; Full Text"; did produce
a handful, including...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314426
OLEXP: "Msimn Caused an Invalid Page Fault Error in Module Rpcrt4.dll"
Error Message and Outlook Express Does Not Load
(314426) - When you start Outlook Express 6.0, the program does not
load, and you may receive the following error message: MSIMN caused an
invalid page fault in module rpcrt4.dll

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315209
Error Message About IEXPLORE or MSIMN Causing an Invalid Page Fault in
Module Rpcrt4.dll
(315209) - When you attempt to start Microsoft Internet Explorer or
Microsoft Outlook Express, you may receive one of the following error
messages: IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in module
Rpcrt4.dll. -or- MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in module...

http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/rpcrt4.htm
Leboeuf turns up this additional...

XL97: Error When Inserting Portfolio 7.0 Object into Worksheet
<Program > caused an invalid page fault in module RPCRT4.DLL at
0137:7fcc15de.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=172545 (W95 Jul. 12, 2001)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Joe" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o mH%d.113319$y25.45149@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
| I have had problems recently trying to initiate windows updates. I
access
| the update site and the scan runs but when I try to download the whole
thing
| hangs. If I cancel I get the illegal operation error with these
details

| EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
| module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
| Registers:
| EAX=05580bef CS=017f EIP=7fbd0894 EFLGS=00010212
| EBX=0557cab4 SS=0187 ESP=0557c8d4 EBP=0557cac4
| ECX=77124438 DS=0187 ESI=00000484 FS=97cf
| EDX=bff76855 ES=0187 EDI=7712454e GS=0000
| Bytes at CS:EIP:
| ff 30 ff 75 d4 8d 85 1c fe ff ff 50 e8 cb 0b 00
| Stack dump:
| 0557cdcc 00000000 00000000 0557ca1c 00000000 00000000 00000000
0557cc6c
| 00000000 0557c930 70a9585f 00000001 00000000 00000000 0557cc6c
00000000

| I have tried uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling but this does not clear
the
| problem.
|
| Anyone any ideas on what the problem may be?
|
| Brian

Related resources
March 22, 2005 5:25:05 AM

Robear -- Microsoft helped me fix my keylogger problem -- it took editing the
registry and removing Mozilla Firefox which was destroyed and being used by
Mini Key Log 2.5 (Commercial Key Logger) to steal my passwords and
information. XPPRO is doing much better now.

:
[...]
: --
: Joe wrote:
: > I have had problems recently trying to initiate windows updates. I access
: > the update site and the scan runs but when I try to download the whole
: > thing hangs. If I cancel I get the illegal operation error with these
: > details
: >
: > EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
: > module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
: <snip>
: >
: > I have tried uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling but this does not clear
the
: > problem.
: >
: > Anyone any ideas on what the problem may be?
: >
: > Brian
:
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 5:04:19 PM

What's that got to do with Joe/Brian's post?

Dan wrote:
> Robear -- Microsoft helped me fix my keylogger problem -- it took editing
> the registry and removing Mozilla Firefox which was destroyed and being
> used by Mini Key Log 2.5 (Commercial Key Logger) to steal my passwords and
> information. XPPRO is doing much better now.

> > Explorer = Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.
> >
> > 1. You're using Internet Explorer and not an alternate browser to go to
> > Windows Update, right?
> >
> > 2. To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be
> > disabled and all other running processes closed before installing
> > anything, including Windows Updates.
> >
> > 3. If still no joy, try overinstalling IE6:
> >
> > First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer
> > (includes your AV program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going
> > offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom; Select all
> > the parts you use, including OE (but none you didn't originally
> > download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot the
> > computer.
> >
> > Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
> > Windows Update for the many, additional updates and patches you will
> > need now.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > Joe wrote:
> > > I have had problems recently trying to initiate windows updates. I
> > > access the update site and the scan runs but when I try to download
> > > the whole thing hangs. If I cancel I get the illegal operation error
> > > with these details
> > >
> > > EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
> > > module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > I have tried uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling but this does not
> > > clear the problem.
> > >
> > > Anyone any ideas on what the problem may be?
> > >
> > > Brian
March 22, 2005 10:32:13 PM

Closed everything down that showed in the task bar except Explorer.

So all AV etc disabled.

Accessed Windows update and requested download following scan.

Windows Update web page dialogue appears but no activity in download bar.

The when I cancel still get original error.

Can there be a block on security settings somewhere even although IE6 is set
to minimal security settings?

Brian

> Explorer = Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.
>
> 1. You're using Internet Explorer and not an alternate browser to go to
> Windows Update, right?
>
> 2. To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be
disabled
> and all other running processes closed before installing anything,
including
> Windows Updates.
>
> 3. If still no joy, try overinstalling IE6:
>
> First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer
(includes
> your AV program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going offline).
> Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom; Select all the parts you
> use, including OE (but none you didn't originally download) and
overinstall.
> Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot the computer.
>
> Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
> Windows Update for the many, additional updates and patches you will need
> now.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>
> Joe wrote:
> > I have had problems recently trying to initiate windows updates. I
access
> > the update site and the scan runs but when I try to download the whole
> > thing hangs. If I cancel I get the illegal operation error with these
> > details
> >
> > EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
> > module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
> <snip>
> >
> > I have tried uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling but this does not clear
the
> > problem.
> >
> > Anyone any ideas on what the problem may be?
> >
> > Brian

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 10:32:14 PM

And overinstalling IE6...?
--
~PA Bear

Joe wrote:
> Closed everything down that showed in the task bar except Explorer.
>
> So all AV etc disabled.
>
> Accessed Windows update and requested download following scan.
>
> Windows Update web page dialogue appears but no activity in download bar.
>
> The when I cancel still get original error.
>
> Can there be a block on security settings somewhere even although IE6 is
> set to minimal security settings?
>
> Brian

> > Explorer = Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.
> >
> > 1. You're using Internet Explorer and not an alternate browser to go to
> > Windows Update, right?
> >
> > 2. To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be
> > disabled and all other running processes closed before installing
> > anything, including Windows Updates.
> >
> > 3. If still no joy, try overinstalling IE6:
> >
> > First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer
> > (includes your AV program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going
> > offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom; Select all
> > the parts you use, including OE (but none you didn't originally
> > download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot the
> > computer.
> >
> > Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
> > Windows Update for the many, additional updates and patches you will
> > need now.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > Joe wrote:
> > > I have had problems recently trying to initiate windows updates. I
> > > access the update site and the scan runs but when I try to download
> > > the whole thing hangs. If I cancel I get the illegal operation error
> > > with these details
> > >
> > > EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
> > > module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > I have tried uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling but this does not
> > > clear the problem.
> > >
> > > Anyone any ideas on what the problem may be?
> > >
> > > Brian
March 22, 2005 11:32:55 PM

Nothing, sorry I guess I should just keep quiet.

: > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
: > news:%23znhqVnLFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > > Explorer = Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.
: > >
[...]
: > > --
: > > Joe wrote:
: > > > I have had problems recently trying to initiate windows updates. I
: > > > access the update site and the scan runs but when I try to download
: > > > the whole thing hangs. If I cancel I get the illegal operation error
: > > > with these details
: > > >
: > > > EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
: > > > module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
: > > <snip>
: > > >
: > > > I have tried uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling but this does not
: > > > clear the problem.
: > > >
: > > > Anyone any ideas on what the problem may be?
: > > >
: > > > Brian
:
March 23, 2005 11:32:56 PM

Even overinstalling I still get the following ;

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
Registers:
EAX=03740bef CS=017f EIP=7fbd0894 EFLGS=00010212
EBX=0373cab4 SS=0187 ESP=0373c8d4 EBP=0373cac4
ECX=77124438 DS=0187 ESI=00000484 FS=637f
EDX=bff76855 ES=0187 EDI=7712454e GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
ff 30 ff 75 d4 8d 85 1c fe ff ff 50 e8 cb 0b 00
Stack dump:
0373cdcc 00000000 00000000 0373ca1c 00000000 00000000 00000000 0373cc6c
00000000 0373c930 70a9585f 00000001 00000000 00000000 0373cc6c 00000000

news:o YiFTvzLFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> And overinstalling IE6...?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Joe wrote:
> > Closed everything down that showed in the task bar except Explorer.
> >
> > So all AV etc disabled.
> >
> > Accessed Windows update and requested download following scan.
> >
> > Windows Update web page dialogue appears but no activity in download
bar.

> > The when I cancel still get original error.
> >
> > Can there be a block on security settings somewhere even although IE6 is
> > set to minimal security settings?
> >
> > Brian
> >

> > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Explorer = Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.
> > >
> > > 1. You're using Internet Explorer and not an alternate browser to go
> > > Windows Update, right?
> > >
> > > 2. To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be
> > > disabled and all other running processes closed before installing
> > > anything, including Windows Updates.
> > >
> > > 3. If still no joy, try overinstalling IE6:
> > >
> > > First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer
> > > (includes your AV program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going
> > > offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom; Select all
> > > the parts you use, including OE (but none you didn't originally
> > > download) and overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot the
> > > computer.
> > >
> > > Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
> > > Windows Update for the many, additional updates and patches you will
> > > need now.
> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

> > > <snip>

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 11:32:57 PM

OK...

1. See http://www.newbie.org/help/messages/4956.html

2. See these archived threads in WinUp NG: http://snipurl.com/dmaa

3. If this is a sudden, new problem, best check for hijackware.

Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

~PA Bear

Joe wrote:
> Even overinstalling I still get the following ;
>
> EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
> module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
<snip>
> news:o YiFTvzLFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > And overinstalling IE6...?
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
> >
> > Joe wrote:
> > > Closed everything down that showed in the task bar except Explorer.
> > >
> > > So all AV etc disabled.
> > >
> > > Accessed Windows update and requested download following scan.
> > >
> > > Windows Update web page dialogue appears but no activity in download
> > > bar.
> > >
> > > The when I cancel still get original error.
> > >
> > > Can there be a block on security settings somewhere even although IE6
> > > is set to minimal security settings?
> > >
> > > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 11:32:57 PM

This says IE5, but I wonder if it might apply to IE6 also.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315209

OTOH it's always possible that rpcrt4.dll itself is corrupt. (?)
What version does the dll's properties list.

The IE repair tool checks schannel.dll, but not rpcrt4.dll.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=194177
AFAICT, rpcrt4.dll is not part of an IE install.

"Joe" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:Ynk0e.117765$Bk7.41042@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Even overinstalling I still get the following ;
>
> EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
> module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
> Registers:
> EAX=03740bef CS=017f EIP=7fbd0894 EFLGS=00010212
> EBX=0373cab4 SS=0187 ESP=0373c8d4 EBP=0373cac4
> ECX=77124438 DS=0187 ESI=00000484 FS=637f
> EDX=bff76855 ES=0187 EDI=7712454e GS=0000
> Bytes at CS:EIP:
> ff 30 ff 75 d4 8d 85 1c fe ff ff 50 e8 cb 0b 00
> Stack dump:
> 0373cdcc 00000000 00000000 0373ca1c 00000000 00000000 00000000 0373cc6c
> 00000000 0373c930 70a9585f 00000001 00000000 00000000 0373cc6c 00000000

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 7:27:53 PM

Here is mine, in Win98SE...

RPCRT4.DLL
Desc: Remote Procedure Call DLL
Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Size: 339,968 bytes
Mod: Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM
Ver: 4.71.2900

It seems never to have been Windows Updated. It is in the Windows
Installation WIN98_40.CAB...
04-23-1999 10:22:00p A--- 339,968 rpcrt4.dll

So, if corruption is suspected, extract it with SFC.

(1) "START, Run, SFC"
(2) Bolt "Extract one file from installation disk"
(3) Enter "RPCRT4.DLL" in the "Specify..." box.
(4) Click "Start".
(5) It should offer to "Save file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM".
If not, make it so.
(6) In "Restore from", if not already pre-filled, browse to
(a) Installation CD (likely the Win98 folder) or
(b) The folder that has your cabs on the hard drive, likely
"C:\WINDOWS\options\cabs\".
(7) Click "OK"

If it discovers the file already exists, it will offer to back it up.
May as well do so. If it discovers the file is "in use", it will request
that you reboot to complete the install.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q185836
System File Checker
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q188186
SFC baseline
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q192832
SFC extracts wrong file
http://www.westelcom.com/users/rogersr/sfc.htm SFC use & problems
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html SFC use & problems

--
"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
| This says IE5, but I wonder if it might apply to IE6 also.
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315209
|
| OTOH it's always possible that rpcrt4.dll itself is corrupt. (?)
| What version does the dll's properties list.
|
| The IE repair tool checks schannel.dll, but not rpcrt4.dll.
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=194177
| AFAICT, rpcrt4.dll is not part of an IE install.
|

| "Joe" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
| > Even overinstalling I still get the following ;
| >
| > EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
| > module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
| > Registers:
| > EAX=03740bef CS=017f EIP=7fbd0894 EFLGS=00010212
| > EBX=0373cab4 SS=0187 ESP=0373c8d4 EBP=0373cac4
| > ECX=77124438 DS=0187 ESI=00000484 FS=637f
| > EDX=bff76855 ES=0187 EDI=7712454e GS=0000
| > Bytes at CS:EIP:
| > ff 30 ff 75 d4 8d 85 1c fe ff ff 50 e8 cb 0b 00
| > Stack dump:
| > 0373cdcc 00000000 00000000 0373ca1c 00000000 00000000 00000000
0373cc6c
| > 00000000 0373c930 70a9585f 00000001 00000000 00000000 0373cc6c
00000000

March 25, 2005 5:54:48 AM

Joe wrote:
> I have had problems recently trying to initiate windows updates. I
access
> the update site and the scan runs but when I try to download the
whole thing
> hangs. If I cancel I get the illegal operation error with these
details

> EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
> module RPCRT4.DLL at 017f:7fbd0894.
> Registers:
> EAX=05580bef CS=017f EIP=7fbd0894 EFLGS=00010212
> EBX=0557cab4 SS=0187 ESP=0557c8d4 EBP=0557cac4
> ECX=77124438 DS=0187 ESI=00000484 FS=97cf
> EDX=bff76855 ES=0187 EDI=7712454e GS=0000
> Bytes at CS:EIP:
> ff 30 ff 75 d4 8d 85 1c fe ff ff 50 e8 cb 0b 00
> Stack dump:
> 0557cdcc 00000000 00000000 0557ca1c 00000000 00000000 00000000
0557cc6c
> 00000000 0557c930 70a9585f 00000001 00000000 00000000 0557cc6c
00000000

> I have tried uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling but this does not
clear the
> problem.
>
> Anyone any ideas on what the problem may be?
>
> Brian

Search for 'download hangs' at this site to see where self help would
have gotten you.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Do not follow that advice until you see this site which explains some
conditional situations where you might need to apply DCOM98 instead.
For the reading of this article pretend your problem is actually
'Incompatible version of the RPC stub'.
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=...

Trouble shooter advice is in error as current 5.6 script package
contains version 5.6.0.6626 of dispex.dll - which MVP/MSFT is willing
to do something to get that text removed from the trouble shooter site?
There is nothing 'wrong' with this script package anymore and it's
been like this through two completely new releases of the 5.6 script
package. That trouble shooter advice was accurate for a total of some
8 days - can we be allowed to forget about it several years later? And
nowhere does it now say it's safe to use again.
March 25, 2005 3:08:26 PM

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibr...

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.