win98 startup

When I start up my WIN98, SOMETIMES it fails to load some programs, usually
ccapp.exe from Norton, although sometimes other programs, unrelated to
Norton. I have tried many things, including a reformat/reload of everything
(Fun!) But sometimes it works ok. I also get a message SOMETIMES that my
Norton Anti-virus is out of date, when I have just downloaded it completely 5
minutes before. Can anyone help? TIA

It couldn't hurt to test RAM...
http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp RAM tester
http://www.memtest86.com/ RAM tester

Perhaps a fit/proper Scandisk/Defrag could help...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
Articles about Scandisk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
Articles about Defrag

I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
great one to do...
http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
"C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either.
(When running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You
must do it in "C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini", per cquirke's advice.)
REALLY, in light of all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full
system backup to run to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
None)
2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
On,Never,Never,Never)
3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
4. Suspend Task Scheduler
5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
(a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
all offline content, OK, OK"
(b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
unmovables.

The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
this says so:
http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

"DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
discovered the MS Critical Update Notification Tool was accessing my
HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control Panel,
Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update" on
your own.

"BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
"Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"PMS" <PMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| When I start up my WIN98, SOMETIMES it fails to load some programs,
usually
| ccapp.exe from Norton, although sometimes other programs, unrelated to
| Norton. I have tried many things, including a reformat/reload of
everything
| (Fun!) But sometimes it works ok. I also get a message SOMETIMES
that my
| Norton Anti-virus is out of date, when I have just downloaded it
completely 5
| minutes before. Can anyone help? TIA

PMS <PMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I start up my WIN98, SOMETIMES it fails to load some programs, usually
>ccapp.exe from Norton, although sometimes other programs, unrelated to
>Norton. I have tried many things, including a reformat/reload of everything
>(Fun!) But sometimes it works ok. I also get a message SOMETIMES that my
>Norton Anti-virus is out of date, when I have just downloaded it completely 5
>minutes before. Can anyone help? TIA

That is typical of the recent performance of Norton products for many
people.

Have you checked your computer for Spyware recently? Antivirus
software doesn't detect or block most spyware, and you need to take
steps to protect yourself from this as well as viruses.

See MVP Jim Eshelman's Spyware Quick Fix procedure at
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Thanks to Ron and PCR. I have done some of the suggestions, but certainly
not all. Will keep me busy, for sure. Note that I did complete reformat,
and problem is still there.

You are welcome. Hope it gets resolved. As Martell said, some do have
problems with Norton beyond a certain version, Brian A. being a notable
exception. Was the problem there before installing Norton?

http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
Search "Norton"; This Product"; Full Text; All Words, Anytime; produces
many pages full.

--
| Thanks to Ron and PCR. I have done some of the suggestions, but
certainly
| not all. Will keep me busy, for sure. Note that I did complete
reformat,
| and problem is still there.

I originally had an earlier Norton, no problems. Then I installed the 2005
version, and sometime after that the problems started. I suspect Norton
because it is usually (not always) their program that doesn't load. Is there
a way to see if two programs conflict, or compete for the same resources?

"PCR" wrote:

> You are welcome. Hope it gets resolved. As Martell said, some do have
> problems with Norton beyond a certain version, Brian A. being a notable
> exception. Was the problem there before installing Norton?
>
> http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
> Search "Norton"; This Product"; Full Text; All Words, Anytime; produces
> many pages full.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "PMS" <PMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks to Ron and PCR. I have done some of the suggestions, but
> certainly
> | not all. Will keep me busy, for sure. Note that I did complete
> reformat,
> | and problem is still there.

Better look through those MSKB articles for something that sounds
similar & doable. Or, try the Symantec WEB site for FAQs.