windows98se boot problems

i have a toshiba sattelite490cdt with win98se preinstalled(no boot disc) and
am having a problem with the boot process when i start up the machine i only
get as far as an errror message saying that it cannot read the datta . w/o a
boot disc how do i either a) get my os to load or
b) bypass this
i do manage to get scandisc to run but it hangs up at 27percent of the check
and i get the error message again occasionally does this mean my harddrive is
screwed?
--
arrrhgg! i need help

What is the EXACT error message?
It does sound like there may be hard drive problems.

If you are trying to get data off the hard drive to save it, you will need a boot
disk, which you can make using a bootdisk maker downloaded from:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Get the right one for your version of Windows, and run the downloaded file to make a
bootdisk on another computer, then boot your Toshiba with the disk.

You can test the hard drive by downloading a diagnostic program for it. Again, the
download is a bootdisk maker, this time creating a boot disk with the hard drive
diagnostic app on it. If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download
the limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free edition, you
will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site, then you will be able to
download the diskette creator file.

The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a working Windows
system and will guide you through the process of extracting the Data Advisor onto a
3.5" floppy disk.

Download and Use Instructions:
http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

As far as I know, Maxtor's diagnostics will also work with any brand of drive.

Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

OnTrack Data Advisor:
http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
http://support.wdc.com/download/
Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
Seagate SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
Download:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"boilergirl1" <schelagh2@hotmail.com.(remove)> wrote in message
> i have a toshiba sattelite490cdt with win98se preinstalled(no boot disc) and
> am having a problem with the boot process when i start up the machine i only
> get as far as an errror message saying that it cannot read the datta . w/o a
> boot disc how do i either a) get my os to load or
> b) bypass this
> i do manage to get scandisc to run but it hangs up at 27percent of the check
> and i get the error message again occasionally does this mean my harddrive is
> screwed?
> --
> arrrhgg! i need help

the exact error message is:

Data error reading drive C
Abort,Retry, Fail?
C:\>
C:\>

"glee" wrote:

> What is the EXACT error message?
> It does sound like there may be hard drive problems.
>
> If you are trying to get data off the hard drive to save it, you will need a boot
> disk, which you can make using a bootdisk maker downloaded from:
> http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
> Get the right one for your version of Windows, and run the downloaded file to make a
> bootdisk on another computer, then boot your Toshiba with the disk.
>
> You can test the hard drive by downloading a diagnostic program for it. Again, the
> download is a bootdisk maker, this time creating a boot disk with the hard drive
> diagnostic app on it. If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download
> the limited-use free edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
> http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
>
> When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free edition, you
> will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site, then you will be able to
> download the diskette creator file.
>
> The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a working Windows
> system and will guide you through the process of extracting the Data Advisor onto a
> 3.5" floppy disk.
>
> Download and Use Instructions:
> http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp
>
> As far as I know, Maxtor's diagnostics will also work with any brand of drive.
>
> Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:
>
> OnTrack Data Advisor:
> http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
> IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
> http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
> Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
> http://support.wdc.com/download/
> Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
> http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
> Seagate SeaTools:
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
> Download:
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "boilergirl1" <schelagh2@hotmail.com.(remove)> wrote in message
> > i have a toshiba sattelite490cdt with win98se preinstalled(no boot disc) and
> > am having a problem with the boot process when i start up the machine i only
> > get as far as an errror message saying that it cannot read the datta . w/o a
> > boot disc how do i either a) get my os to load or
> > b) bypass this
> > i do manage to get scandisc to run but it hangs up at 27percent of the check
> > and i get the error message again occasionally does this mean my harddrive is
> > screwed?
> > --
> > arrrhgg! i need help

Use a hard drive diagnostic boot disk as mentioned in my previous reply.